Steve Wozniak says he may have been first coronavirus case in US [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has tweeted that he and his wife may have been among the first in the U.S. to have the 2019 Novel Coronavirus after returning from a trip abroad.

A coronavirus, recognizable by its crown-like halo
A coronavirus, recognizable by its crown-like halo

Wozniak took to Twitter on Monday, explaining that his wife had a bad cough after returning from China in early January. The tweet was geotagged from Foursquare, indicating that he and his wife were being examined at Santa Clara's West Coast Sports Institute.

Checking out Janet's bad cough. Started Jan. 4. We had just returned from China and may have both been patient zero in U.S. (@ West Coast Sports Institute in Santa Clara, CA) https://t.co/MRNHqithEU

-- Steve Wozniak (@stevewoz)

According to the tweet, his wife Janet has been suffering from respiratory distress for nearly two months, noting that her symptoms started on Jan. 4.

Coronavirus and Apple

The 2019 Novel Coronavirus, known officially as "COVID-19," is a type of coronavirus that causes respiratory distress in those infected by it. Flu-like symptoms develop, including a fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Some cases of 2019-nCoV ultimately turn into pneumonia.

Adults over 65 years old and children under three are at greatest risk, with many of the deaths reported in the outbreak involving those afflicted with pre-existing conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease, which would have made it harder to fight off the virus.

A majority of cases have been in mainland China, where it has caused significant delays in the global supply chain. The impact in China and a slower manufacturing ramp-up has forced Apple to change its guidance for the second fiscal quarter, expanding its previously wide guidance that took into account the outbreak's likely effects.

Outside of China, the virus is starting to take hold of other countries, including Italy and South Korea, while Germany is not able to keep track of infection paths anymore, and cases are also popping up in the United States and United Kingdom. On Sunday, the LG Innotek factory in South Korea that provides Apple with iPhone camera modules closed, with an intention to reopen later in the week following the completion of disinfection work.

The virus has also forced the premature closing of major industry events, such as the 2020 Game Developer Conference and Mobile World Congress 2020, with organizers of other large-scale events and attending parties rethinking about bringing large numbers of people together.

On Thursday, Cook spoke about the virus in another interview, calling Apple "fundamentally strong" and will weather the storm as it has done so for other world-affecting events and illnesses, with the coronavirus being only a "temporary condition."

Update: In a statement to USA Today, Janet indicated that she had a sinus infection, not COVID-19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    iCorona  !!!
    SoundJudgmentargonautGG1Anilu_777ravnorodomcoolfactormac daddy zeedoozydozendsledingham
  • Reply 2 of 48
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    It's embarrassing for him whether it is true or not. Just keep your trap shut as #1 as there is no need to brag or even discuss it publicly unless a medical doctor has confirmed your self-diagnosis.
    edited March 2020 agmsrtnet-primarypscooter63StrangeDaysllamaSpamSandwichlolliverlkruppseanjEsquireCats
  • Reply 3 of 48
    agmsragmsr Posts: 6member
    History shall remember him as Corona Woz.
    doozydozenCarnage
  • Reply 4 of 48
    jimh2 said:
    It's embarrassing for him whether it is true or not. Just keep your trap shut as #1 as there is no need to brag or even discuss it publicly unless a medical doctor has confirmed your self-diagnosis.
    Well said.  
    seanjEsquireCatsrazorpitmac daddy zeedoozydozenchasmjony0
  • Reply 5 of 48
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Why does this guy keep opening his mouth and putting his foot in it. Does he not care about his legacy??
    llamaseanjEsquireCatscoolfactordoozydozenmichelb76dysamoriajony0
  • Reply 6 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    This guy has issues. If anyone doubted his seemingly compulsive need to keep his name in the news, I think this lays any doubt to rest.
    llamalolliverseanjEsquireCatsmeterestnztmaymwhiterazorpitanantksundaramJaphey
  • Reply 7 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    iCorona  !!!
    Wasn’t that a song by The Knack in ‘79? LOL
    edited March 2020 argonautrazorpitmac daddy zeealanhdysamoriatokyojimujony0
  • Reply 8 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, jeez. Woz  doesn’t know when to shut the hell up.
    lolliverseanjEsquireCatsralphierazorpitanantksundaramdoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 9 of 48
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Why there is a need to tell media that you have Coronavirus? Isn't telling your doctor is what a sane person need to do?
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Seems like an attention and publicity seeker. He's made many outrageous and ridiculous statements these past few decades, and I don't think he is a valid source to ask about anything Apple related anymore, and he hasn't been for decades in my opinion.

Patient zero, lol. I was actually watching the movie Outbreak last night and they also mentioned a "patient zero".
    lkruppseanjmwhitealanhredgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 48
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Claiming to be ptn 0? I think Woz forgets how litigious his country is.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    They’re both “patient zero”? How does that work? They waited close to two months to check out her bad cough when all this has been in the news so long? Also, they were “just in China” is what he appears to be basing this on. Well, a lot of people were in China around that time. China is a huge country.  Did they visit Wuhan or were they mostly around Shanghai? I feel like that would make a difference in the believability of his statement. 

He doesn’t even say there’s a coronavirus diagnosis involved so maybe this is all just his crazy speculation. 
  • Reply 13 of 48
    ralphieralphie Posts: 102member
    Attention whore.
    mwhiterazorpitanantksundaramJanNLEsquireCats
  • Reply 14 of 48
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    DAalseth said:
    iCorona  !!!
    You are indeed correct.
    "My Sharona"
    https://music.apple.com/us/album/my-sharona/716268020?i=716268684
    mwhite
  • Reply 15 of 48
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,244member
    Smart people say dumb things too. 
    mac_dogStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    mobird said:
    DAalseth said:
    iCorona  !!!
    You are indeed correct.
    "My Sharona"
    https://music.apple.com/us/album/my-sharona/716268020?i=716268684
    I was hoping someone would get that one.
    mobird
  • Reply 17 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    He is going through later-life crisis!! He wants people's attention and sympathy.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I personally think my sister contacted it at CES (about 50,000 people from China) this year. 18 days after returning from Vegas, she got the worst case of the flu with serious respiratory issues. Because she was outside the (then) 14 day incubation period, it was “just the flu” ruled by the ER doctors. 6 weeks later she is still getting over it. 

Shortly afterwards, I got a 4 day case of the flu which hit my muscles and joints something fierce. I was also at CES. 

I strongly suspect my sister got corona virus. Me? I don’t know.

i think it is WAY under-reported. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 19 of 48
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    steven n. said:
    I personally think my sister contacted it at CES (about 50,000 people from China) this year. 18 days after returning from Vegas, she got the worst case of the flu with serious respiratory issues. Because she was outside the (then) 14 day incubation period, it was “just the flu” ruled by the ER doctors. 6 weeks later she is still getting over it. 

Shortly afterwards, I got a 4 day case of the flu which hit my muscles and joints something fierce. I was also at CES. 

I strongly suspect my sister got corona virus. Me? I don’t know.

i think it is WAY under-reported. 
    You're describing a flu, and there's no way of knowing its source. You may just be one of the millions of people who get the flu every year. I had a severe flu four years ago much like yours, but it was just the ordinary flu, which of course kills tens of thousands every year. In fact, based on what we know, the major issue with isolating the coronavirus is that it's pretty mild in most cases.

In fact, I wonder if total flu deaths will actually be lower than expected this year because people are actually practicing decent sanitation. It's difficult to know, but nine times out of 10, things are better than the media reports. Of course, there's always the outlier that everyone points to.
    edited March 2020 StrangeDaysbaconstangcoolfactordysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 48
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    He’s a quack - but we love him.
    coolfactor