iTunes Organization Issues... Again.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Once again, iTunes screwing around. It used to keep songs, on individual albums, in order by track number. I opened it up tonight and for some reason it is putting them in alphabetical order. I didn't change any preferences. Why? Why iTunes? Quit shuffling my crap around.

All I want to do is to listen to albums in the order they're supposed to be listened to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Do you want to know how to reorder the tracks or do you want to know why it changed (or do you just want to vent, which is cool)?

Clicking on the bar at the top of the track number field should do the trick as far as reordering in the original CD order. Perhaps you clicked on one of the other column headers by mistake?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Clicking on the bar at the top of the track number field should do the trick as far as reordering in the original CD order. Perhaps you clicked on one of the other column headers by mistake?

i believe you mean the "artist" bar...

tre- is there track information in the ID3 tags?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yup. I must have clicked on Track # by mistake. Thanks for the fix. I'll go hide my embarassed face now...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    This is one of my main annoyances about iTunes, it wants you to organize music by type or artist over by album. I hate the way it 'organizes' albums when you rip cds, throwing rips into a mess of folders. It's always a pain for me to do it all manually, making sure all albums are together and in order.

And then adding albums as playlists is a total mess, you have to create the playlist, drop the folder into the playlist to ensure order, one by one... so if I have 100 albums to put into playlists, it takes some time...

</rant>

The header above the track# will sort by play order so that is the correct header. There's also a 'copy to play order' function in the contextual menu which I find nifty in organizing. You can potentially sort by track order and then copy to play order to fix the problem, though whenever I rip cds, my 'track' option in the ID3 tags is never filled.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    I haven't toyed with playlists. I just rip albums and then end up organizing them. A lot of the music I listen to isn't found in the CDDB, so I end up typing track titles. Last night is a good example. A 99 song EP (yes, you read that right) on a 3'' mini CD. I had to type in 99 long song titles.

I have a ton of music on my computer as well and keeping it organized so far has not been fun...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

This is one of my main annoyances about iTunes, it wants you to organize music by type or artist over by album. I hate the way it 'organizes' albums when you rip cds, throwing rips into a mess of folders. It's always a pain for me to do it all manually, making sure all albums are together and in order.

when you rip albums that have more then one artist make sure you check the "compilation" tab it allows music to be sorted by album instead of artist so if you have a soundtrack the folder (in the finder) will be called "the name of the movie" and there will be a folder for each artist inside that one folder... i think thats what you are having problems with...

or you could just turn off iTunes automatic organising of the music folder alltogether...