New 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, 2020 iMac Pro may sport Mini LED displays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple is preparing to launch six products in 2020 using Mini LED, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with updates across the iPad, iMac Pro, and MacBook Pro lines using the display technology, including a 14.1-inch MacBook Pro.

The anticipated product lineup for 2020 usually includes quite a few upgrades to existing models, though every so often Apple adds extra features like new keyboards in the MacBook Pro. It is claimed by TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo that Apple will be employing Mini LED display technology in a wide variety of products.

Advised in an investor note seen by AppleInsider, Kuo predicts there will be six products that will include Mini LED for the display this year. The list for mobile devices includes the previously-rumored 12.9-inch iPad Pro, as well as the 10.2-inch iPad and the 7.9-inch iPad mini.

On the Mac side, Kuo believes Apple will use Mini LED in a refreshed 27-inch iMac Pro, as well as an updated 16-inch MacBook Pro. Like last year's move from a 15.4-inch screen to a 16-inch display, Kuo believes Apple will replace the current 13-inch model with a 14-inch MacBook Pro.

Beyond a fourth quarter debut for the 27-inch iMac Pro, Kuo fails to detail specific launch timelines for the expected Mini LED products.

Despite the ongoing coronavirus outbreak affecting Apple's supply chain, Kup predicts the product development of Mini LED will "remain unaffected" by the virus. "The visibility for commercialization has even exceeded the expectations in our previous report," writes the analyst.

As for when to expect the launches, Kuo offers only a forecasted launch for the iMac Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020. In late February, Kuo tipped for the updated iPad Pro model using the display technology to roll out in late 2020.

Update: Adds detail from source material. The original report was based on a post from MacRumors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    It seems odd that Apple would leave out the 11 inch iPad Pro and iPad Air while including the 10.2 inch iPad and the 7.7 inch iPad mini. I wonder what is going on?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Put me down for the 14.4” MacBook Pro. The keyboard in my 13” 2017 model keeps breaking, more fool me for having bought it I suppose!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    It seems odd that Apple would leave out the 11 inch iPad Pro and iPad Air while including the 10.2 inch iPad and the 7.7 inch iPad mini. I wonder what is going on?
    It’s a speculation piece by a stock analyst writing in foreign language about the bits of information he receives from his network of supply chain resources, then translated with Google Translate. He doesn’t have Apple’s roadmap. It doesn’t include the iMac 21.5 and 27 either. At face value, it just means he doesn’t have any source that is leaking info on the unmentioned products.

Thinking that Apple has a change in the products lineup will require more data or an actual announcement from Apple.
    tipooStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 28
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Are there any products on the market that use Mini LED?  Apple isn’t usually a trailblazer, even if they’re successful at bringing tech to mass-market...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Are there any products on the market that use Mini LED?  Apple isn’t usually a trailblazer, even if they’re successful at bringing tech to mass-market...
    The Pro Display XDR is a miniLED with an array of 576 backlights. 

These rumored miniLEDs are an order of magnitude increase in backlights though. Kuo was rumormongering 10,000 backlights. 
    seanismorrisfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 28
    macbootxmacbootx Posts: 72member
    tht said:

These rumored miniLEDs are an order of magnitude increase in backlights though. Kuo was rumormongering 10,000 backlights. 
    The Pro Display XDR Technology Overview doesn’t use the term “Mini LED” anywhere. 
    Anyway, aren’t LED’s already “mini”? This article doesn’t even mention if the LED technology in question is some sort of improved LED backlighting or a replacement for LCD/OLED technology. 
  • Reply 7 of 28
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    The first  miniLED was released in November (that I found).
    Asus ProArt PA32UCX

The reviewer gave it high marks... for what it’s worth.

It looks like our expectations should be better colors and reduced eye strain on the MacBook Pro with a miniLED screen.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Touch Bar on steroids?  Why oh why can't the leave it alone
  • Reply 9 of 28
    TCL is using mini led tech in some of their TV lines.  Their Viridian Mini LED TV's use + 25,000 mini leds in the backlight panel.
    macbootx said:
    tht said:

The Pro Display XDR Technology Overview doesn’t use the term “Mini LED” anywhere. 
    Anyway, aren’t LED’s already “mini”? This article doesn’t even mention if the LED technology in question is some sort of improved LED backlighting or a replacement for LCD/OLED technology. 

The author assumes the reader is familiar with Mini LED tech since it has been a frequent topic on Appleinsider and other tech sites.  Mini LED is a known display technology, unfortunately often confused with Micro LED.  It is backlighting tech that improves local dimming, providing contrast closer to OLED.  It is used in conjunction with LCD tech primarily, and more recently with Quantum Dot tech in TCL's top of the line TV's.  It's not going to replace LCD because it can't produce an image.  It's basically a backlight on steroids.  It is an alternative to OLED and Micro LED (when it becomes widely commercially viable ← no time soon imo)
    wonkothesanemacbootxStrangeDaysrundhvidfastasleepMplsP
  • Reply 10 of 28
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Touch Bar on steroids?  Why oh why can't the leave it alone
    I don't see any mention of the touch bar in the article.  Why would Apple "leave it alone"?  If it's not something people appreciate they should drop it (not likely) or they should continue to improve it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 28
    macbootx said:
    tht said:

A typical LED backlit LCD display employs 2, 3, ..., some low number of LED lights along the edge of the display. The light from those edge LEDs is directed into a monolithic compartment the size of the display to form a uniform plane of light. The compartment is only 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm, ..., 3 mm, or more thick dependent on size and make, and covers the entire back of the display. It has a mirrored back surface. The filters and LCD layers lay on top of the compartment. For all intents and purposes, it is a monolithic backlight.

The Pro Display XDR does not have a monolithic backlight. It has an array of 576 of them, each of them lighting a 1/576th section of the display. Each of those 576 backlights likely have at least 3 LEDs along their edges, lighting up a small compartment to provide an uniform backlight for its 1/576th portion of the screen. This is the very definition of a what a miniLED is. Apple’s moving forward to having denser arrays of backlights with these new displays.  

Conceptually, there is a continuum between having 1 monolithic backlight, having an array of backlights, to having each pixel being independently lit. MiniLED is in the rather variable in-between of the two ends. Once you get down to the level of each pixel being independently lit, people will call that type of tech OLED or microLED.
    sphericGG1macbootxrundhvidfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the 2020 iMac will be.  My 2015 iMac is being pushed to its limits at times.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 13 of 28
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 175member
    tht said:

Conceptually, there is a continuum between having 1 monolithic backlight, having an array of backlights, to having each pixel being independently lit. MiniLED is in the rather variable in-between of the two ends. Once you get down to the level of each pixel being independently lit, people will call that type of tech OLED or microLED.
    I don't think the Pro Display qualifies as mini led, it basically has local dimming zones like most high end tv's.  Compare that to the TCL mini led screen, that has 25 thousand led's for backlights.  While its not a 1-1 pixel ratio, the ratio of pixels to led's is much smaller on a mini led vs those that have local dimming zones.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    So, a mini LED update, but not for the iPad mini or the Mac Mini. I'm not a pro on understanding the implications, but if the mini upgrades on the iMac Pro, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro were also mini upgrades to the mac mini and the iPad mini, then all the pros and minis would be upgraded to be mini pros and mini minis to get the performances all up to the max. amirite
  • Reply 15 of 28
    tht said:

I don't think the Pro Display qualifies as mini led, it basically has local dimming zones like most high end tv's.  Compare that to the TCL mini led screen, that has 25 thousand led's for backlights.  While its not a 1-1 pixel ratio, the ratio of pixels to led's is much smaller on a mini led vs those that have local dimming zones.  
    No worries. I think of a miniLED as the concept of splitting the backlight into an array of backlights, and a miniLED is a display with more than one backlight and no more backlights than the number of pixels. There’s a rather wide variation in between. I don’t think there is a formal pixels per backlight or backlight density definition for miniLEDs, so people will have a rather wide definition of what constitutes something being miniLED. As long as there is a 2D array of backlights that are independently controlled, I’m good with saying it’s a miniLED.
    spheric
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I'm waiting for a new, upgraded iMac Pro. Happy to read this.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    After 16" MBP, it was assumed with confident that 13.3 MBP will follow the path replaced by 14.1" MBP.. Apple, make sure Macbook AIR is part of 14.1"  replacement/upgeade.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 18 of 28
    tht said:
    tht said:

No worries. I think of a miniLED as the concept of splitting the backlight into an array of backlights, and a miniLED is a display with more than one backlight and no more backlights than the number of pixels. There’s a rather wide variation in between. I don’t think there is a formal pixels per backlight or backlight density definition for miniLEDs, so people will have a rather wide definition of what constitutes something being miniLED. As long as there is a 2D array of backlights that are independently controlled, I’m good with saying it’s a miniLED.
    LED's are typically considered Mini LED when the size is ~200 microns down to ~50 microns.  Regular LED's are typically around 1000 microns.  Mini LED is typically categorized by a backlight containing at least 1000 FALD zones.  I personally view Apple's 576 blue LED's as a sort of pre-cursor to what is generally accepted as Mini LED.
    d_2fastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 28
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    sflocal said:
    I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the 2020 iMac will be.  My 2015 iMac is being pushed to its limits at times.
    Me too -- my current iMac is the 2014 retina 5k with the 4 GHz Devil's Canyon Core i7. 

From the timing of the new iMac Pro, that might use the new Ice Lake Xeon that is supposed to come out in the 3rd/4th quarter. That's supposed to use the new Sunny Cove core, which has 18% higher IPC than Skylake. Since the iMac Pro is thermally constrained, higher IPC is especially helpful. 

What I'd love to see from a price/performance perspective is Ryzen 9 in a non-pro iMac. But I guess that's unlikely, given Apple's allegiance to Intel. 
  • Reply 20 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I’m pretty sure this appeared on a patent a while back. If so, we’re looking at thousands of miniLEDs configured as secondary emitters (backlights) instead of primary emitters (like microLED/OLED).
    macgui