New iMac and Mac mini coming soon, says leaker

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
A three-word tweet from a reliable Apple product leaker claims Apple is preparing to launch a refresh of the iMac and the Mac mini in the near future, though details of what to expect in each case are relatively unknown.

Apple has a large raft of products expected to launch in 2020, but while the rumors so far have revolved around the "iPhone 12" and the "iPhone SE 2" among other stories, relatively little has been offered about the iMac and Mac mini product lines.

Posted to Twitter on Wednesday, anonymous leaker "CoinX" offered a short but concise tweet about the two items. In the post, the leaker names the iMac and Mac mini, then includes an emoji featuring an arrow and the word "Soon." It is probable that CoinX is referring to a potential refresh of each model, one that could take place shortly.

iMac/Mac mini

-- CoinX (@coiiiiiiiin)

The Mac mini hasn't been updated since October 2018, while the iMac enjoyed a small update in 2019 for the iMac 5K. If the two are to be upgraded, at the very least a 2020 iMac could be equipped with new processors among the specification increases.

A relatively rare tweeter, "CoinX" specializes in posting about Apple products, and with a good level of accuracy. Big-hitting tweets include August 2019's post about a "Pro" model of iPhone, while in March 2015 they mentioned the 10.2-inch iPad.

If Apple is to launch new models, it typically has the chance to do so during its well-known March media event, which has been speculated to occur on March 31. Plans may change, as the ongoing coronavirus outbreak could force Apple away from a location-based event and towards an online-only version.

"CoinX" did offer a second tweet shortly after posting about the iMac and Mac mini. In that tweet, they state "New Camera on iPad" followed by the "100" emoji.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple’s “forgotten child” getting a refresh already?
    rezwitswilliamlondonlkruppseanjrazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 44
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    The new iMac will have an easy latch access on the back to upgrade RAM, the HDD and video card...
    williamlondoncaladanianlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 44
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    What is “100” supposed to mean?
    pulseimagespscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 44
    I would really like to see apple revise the iMac's stand (a la the Pro) to improve the ergonomics.
    williamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 44
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 175member
    Pretty sure he is saying 100% confirmed, but I may be misreading that.
    pulseimagesseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    rain22 said:
    The new iMac will have an easy latch access on the back to upgrade RAM, the HDD and video card...
    ROFL. In your dreams. These will be glued down so much that any ingress to the devices will be impossible.

pulseimagescanukstormsportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Ahh. You might be right. I don’t see an emoji for “100%.” There should be one, though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 44
    hentaiboy said:

Yeah, it went four years without a refresh last time, and now it's getting one after just 18 months? I don't buy it.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...might we finally be offered a mini 'pro', with a discrete gpu & twin drive bays aka 2011...?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    scatzscatz Posts: 30member
    Whatever happens, Mac mini will simply be a spec update if it happens this year, so chipset & cpu.

Now that there is a new design team, i think there is more chance of the ability to do basic upgrades to the imac.

seanjravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Punctuation pedantry: when using the “/“, it means “or”. So the tweet means “iMac or Mac mini soon”. It’s one or the other not both. So, only one of them will be updated. B)

I jest. Anyways, feeling low on cash and used all my WAF money last year. Probably can’t buy either of them for awhile. Really hope there is a new iMac industrial design, or at least a 30” display. Heck, let’s go all the way, how about a consumer Apple external monitor to come along with these announcements.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hentaiboy said:
    I’m hoping to evidence that Apple is taking the entire Mac line up seriously.  In some cases that means radical changes in design before I will buy. 

In the context of the Mini I’d love to see an AMD chip in the box. More importantly we need an open SSD slot.   Also toolless entry into the box should be a reality.    Basically we need an acknowledgement from Apple that not all of the potential Mac users are idiots. 

IMac is a different ball game with well known issues.    I will not be considering one so it doesn’t matter much to me. However moving from Intel’s power hungry chips to AMD would be good here too.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hentaiboy said:

Yeah, it went four years without a refresh last time, and now it's getting one after just 18 months? I don't buy it.
    Bad experiences with Apples laptops and the lack of real updates to the Mini forced me to buy outside their ecosystem a few years ago.  I’ve seen nothing yet to convince me that they have focused on function, reliability and usability in new machines.     Hopefully we will see signs of Apple addressing these issues in IMac and Mini.  
    williamlondonavon b7llama
  • Reply 14 of 44
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Just got a MacMini 2018 (Feb 6th), and bumped the RAM to 64GB, couldn't be happier, still runs Mojave if I want.  We'll see if you can upgrade RAM in these new ones.  If so I'll be a little bummed, if not ewww...
    sportyguy209llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’m sitting here with my late 2013 iMac 14,2 waiting for a reason to pull the trigger. Give me that reason Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    lkrupp said:
    I’m sitting here with my late 2013 iMac 14,2 waiting for a reason to pull the trigger. Give me that reason Apple!
    Ditto, although the trash can still tears through any workload I can send it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    2011 running off an external TB external SSD. It is time, but I really want to be able to upgrade internals if needed.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 44
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    lkrupp said:
    That’s what I have. It’s a great family computer still. The LCD can ghost if someone leaves a static display on, but goes away after awhile. 

May have to bite the bullet to get MS Office for the kids, and when that happens I think that means new computer time. Dollars to donuts, modern MS Office is going to kill it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    lkrupp said:
    My desktop is a late 2009 27" iMac. It does everything I want. yes, I'd like a 5k monitor. The beauty of Apple's releasing new products is the prior generations then get big price drops. I don't need Apple to give me a reason to buy the latest release, just that they do it so I can get a price drop on an new-er one. And really...it will likely require this one to simply stop working. The DVD superdrive failed, but I have an external that works for $25. I replaced the HDD a few years back for <$100 (2TB.)

What might really motivate me is an affordable 27" 5K thunderbolt 3 monitor - one that a Mac Mini can fully drive. Apple carefully prices the iMac to not compete with such a thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Ahh. You might be right. I don’t see an emoji for “100%.” There should be one, though. 
    Here you go; 💯
    razorpitwatto_cobra