New iMac and Mac mini coming soon, says leaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    What is “100” supposed to mean?
    Pretty sure he is saying 100% confirmed, but I may be misreading that.
    Ahh. You might be right. I don’t see an emoji for “100%.” There should be one, though. 
    Here you go; 💯
    The point was that an emoji for "100" isn't an emoji for "100%."  Presumably that's how we're supposed to interpret "100" though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I couldn’t wait, needed a new iMac for personal business, bought one at Black Friday prices end of 2019. Great build and I love the 5k screen, but there is definitely room for improvements and tweaks - my top ones: Easy access to swap out hard drive with an SSD, higher resolution camera for video conferencing, smaller bevels, side to side monitor adjustment, less weight if it doesn’t affect stability, latest WiFi 6 and Bluetooth chipset, FaceID login, and this is a long shot ... Wide screen format (I have an 34” LG curved wide at work - wow, lots of room).
    marc g
  • Reply 23 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp said:
    I’m sitting here with my late 2013 iMac 14,2 waiting for a reason to pull the trigger. Give me that reason Apple!
    Mine died a while ago and I’ve been using an iPad Pro exclusively ever since. For MOST things, I don’t miss it. But when it comes to serious production matters, only an iMac will do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44

Usually updates are preceded by sales of the current models. Have there been many sales on the iMacs or Mac Minis lately?

If new iMac models are released, I have some predictions:

Internals:

Most likely:

Inclusion of AMD Radeon RX 5X00 graphic cards. These may be the full desktop-strength versions or the lesser laptop-tier parts, but given that they are consumer oriented cards I’d say it is a good bet that any new iMac in the near future will include these chips.

Pretty likely:

Inclusion of Intel 10th generation chips. When the iMac has been updated in the past, they have been given the latest and greatest Intel core processors. In 2019, that was the 9th gen chips, with the i9-9900k at the high end; in 2017 it was the 7th gen chips topping out with the i7-7700k.

If the iMac is updated in the near time frame, the high-end model will likely get the i9-10900k, which has not been released yet, but kinda has been released, sort-of. The rest of the lineup will probably be from the 10th-gen Intel line of core processors. Apparently, Dell accidentally leaked some advertising touting 10th generation Intel chips in their newest computers, so the new chips should be available to consumers soon.

Not likely, but not impossible:

AMD Ryzen processors. Ignoring the Intel 10th generation processors, the AMD Ryzen chips are the best available. Normally I’d dismiss the idea of Apple switching to AMD as crazy talk, but there was that story from a few weeks ago about some sort of references to AMD chips (CPUs, not just GPUs) in the latest Mac OS build. It may be wishful thinking on my part, since inclusion of AMD processors in the iMac would likely pave the way for AMD processors in the Mac Pro, but AMD processors are not a total impossibility either. AMD CPU/GPU combos (APUs) would make sense in low end iMacs, Macbooks, and Mac Minis. Ryzen processors would make sense as Core processor replacements, and Threadrippers would be awesome in Mac Pros.

Enclosure:

Most likely:

Same old enclosure. People have complained in the past about the wide bezel, the chin, and the thermal performance of the current enclosure, but… The wide bezel and the chin are just issues of personal preference and not that big of a deal (at least for me). Any new enclosure will have just as many detractors as the current one does (welcome to the internet). As for the thermals, I’m not really sure that there are thermal problems with the 2019 models, are there? My understanding is that the 2019 iMacs throttle the processor and graphics far less than the 2017 models did.

Somewhat likely:

Move to iMac Pro enclosure. This enclosure has far better thermal management, but comes at the cost of user-accessible RAM. If this move happens, then iMacs would likely gain T2 chips and lose the option for the fusion drives. At least, that is all true for the 27 inch iMac. Maybe the 21 inch iMac stays the same, maybe it gets revised to be more like the 27 inch iMac Pro. It’s hard to say.

Who knows how likely:

Full revamp of enclosure. People have been complaining about the current iMac enclosure since before 2017 (honestly, since it was first debuted). Apple did finally address the keyboard issue on the macbook pro, so maybe they’ll listen to the peanut gallery with regards to the bezel, chin, and user-accessibility issues that people have with a new enclosure. Of course, any new enclosure has just as much a chance of having a wide bezel and big chin and being even less repair-friendly, so I’m not enthusiastic about this possibility. I would guess than any new enclosure would result in the inclusion of T2 chips and the loss of fusion drives. I give 50/50 odds on the loss of user-upgraded RAM.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    I think there is a new class-action on the horizon with iPad pros. 
    The batteries Apple used from 2017 - are crapping out, yet hundreds of people who get the diagnostic done are all getting the exact same reply from Apple... that the battery health is at 87% exactly. Yet Coconut and iMazing all show health well below the 80% threshold (for replacement) after 200 - 300 cycle counts.
    Apple also disabled battery health checks on iPads during this time - and disabled usage time/charge monitoring. 

Looks like yet another scandal. 
  • Reply 26 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rain22 said:
    I think there is a new class-action on the horizon with iPad pros. 
    The batteries Apple used from 2017 - are crapping out, yet hundreds of people who get the diagnostic done are all getting the exact same reply from Apple... that the battery health is at 87% exactly. Yet Coconut and iMazing all show health well below the 80% threshold (for replacement) after 200 - 300 cycle counts.
    Apple also disabled battery health checks on iPads during this time - and disabled usage time/charge monitoring. 

Looks like yet another scandal. 
    Apple never made any legally incriminating claims about battery life for iPads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I bought the Mini back in late 2018 when my 2009 iMac finally bit the dust.  I wasn't enamored with where iMacs were at the time and since I had a Thunderbolt Display, I bought the Mini, and bought another Thunderbolt Display (used).

It's for the office so it doesn't see serious duty, but even so... I was really irked at Apple that they did not offer a discreet GPU, especially since the headless Mac costed over $2K.  

Every so often, particularly when dragging windows around the graphics stutters a bit.  It lacks the smoothness that a discreet GPU provides.  That is my only gripe with the machine.  Apple dropped the ball on that one.

It really needs a discreet GPU.  Heck, it doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest.  Anything is better than the garbage that Intel included.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    lkrupp said:
    I’m sitting here with my late 2013 iMac 14,2 waiting for a reason to pull the trigger. Give me that reason Apple!
    I’ve still got my (now rarely used) 2007 iMac with 2.8Gz core 2 duo extreme. Wish I could replace all the internals with some more modern even if I had to hackintosh it, it would stop being a dust collector. I unexpectedly had to replace my iPad Pro so no money for new iMac. 
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Who knows how likely:

Full revamp of enclosure. People have been complaining about the current iMac enclosure since before 2017 (honestly, since it was first debuted). Apple did finally address the keyboard issue on the macbook pro, so maybe they’ll listen to the peanut gallery with regards to the bezel, chin, and user-accessibility issues that people have with a new enclosure. Of course, any new enclosure has just as much a chance of having a wide bezel and big chin and being even less repair-friendly, so I’m not enthusiastic about this possibility. I would guess than any new enclosure would result in the inclusion of T2 chips and the loss of fusion drives. I give 50/50 odds on the loss of user-upgraded RAM.

Yes, no idea how likely or if any likelihood at all but when there was talk of modular Mac I did wonder if Apple might consider a Modular iMac for the next redesign.
    To me this would be a screen module in various sizes, a Computing Module that clicks into the display and a stand* / mount module that hooks into that.

Not suggesting the XDR display stand as a common option but why not just use the round socket they have for that and add simple stand option. To me most people would buy the Vesa mount and get more flexibility. 

Screen sizes well redesign in the past have come with size increases so maybe 24 & 30

Apple could offer 3 Compute Modules - Display with eGPU slot, iMac and iMacPro
    Depending on how the module work with the display the vanilla iMac one become the new Mac Mini.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    I'm mostly hoping for a new A14 iPad Pro. More than anything I need one with more RAM. Hopefully at least 6 gigs, mostly need it for Procreate and other graphics apps... but especially Procreate. 

It would be nice to see Apple continue supporting the iMac and Mac mini though. They're important computers that serve markets that their portables don't, and I hate to see them let them languish.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Fatman said:
    I couldn’t wait, needed a new iMac for personal business, bought one at Black Friday prices end of 2019. Great build and I love the 5k screen, but there is definitely room for improvements and tweaks - my top ones: Easy access to swap out hard drive with an SSD, higher resolution camera for video conferencing, smaller bevels, side to side monitor adjustment, less weight if it doesn’t affect stability, latest WiFi 6 and Bluetooth chipset, FaceID login, and this is a long shot ... Wide screen format (I have an 34” LG curved wide at work - wow, lots of room).
    Curved monitors aren't for everyone, or every task. For one thing, they make it nearly impossible to achieve pixel alignment in design work.
    cat52SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44

sflocal said:
    I bought the Mini back in late 2018 when my 2009 iMac finally bit the dust.  I wasn't enamored with where iMacs were at the time and since I had a Thunderbolt Display, I bought the Mini, and bought another Thunderbolt Display (used).

It's for the office so it doesn't see serious duty, but even so... I was really irked at Apple that they did not offer a discreet GPU, especially since the headless Mac costed over $2K.  

Every so often, particularly when dragging windows around the graphics stutters a bit.  It lacks the smoothness that a discreet GPU provides.  That is my only gripe with the machine.  Apple dropped the ball on that one.

It really needs a discreet GPU.  Heck, it doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest.  Anything is better than the garbage that Intel included.
    My iMac's GPU is so discreet, it doesn't tell my wife about the websites I've been visiting.

Oh, you meant "discrete?" :blush:
    cat52SpamSandwichrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    hentaiboy said:
    Apple’s “forgotten child” getting a refresh already?
    I don't believe it, but if it happens, yay. If it were to happen, I'd expect minor performance tweaks.

rain22 said:
    The new iMac will have an easy latch access on the back to upgrade RAM, the HDD and video card...
    You're high. That will never happen. We'll be luck if Apple doesn't remove the door and solder in the RAM.

What is “100” supposed to mean?
    My take as well is he's 100% certain it will happen.

...might we finally be offered a mini 'pro', with a discrete gpu & twin drive bays aka 2011...?
    That's so ridiculous, you're obviously joking. If Apple were to offer one, which they won't, it would be so pricey few will want it and many will condemn Apple for offering it.

I'd like to see somebody make a reasonably prices eGPU for the mini. A 5K @ 60fps video plays barely better on my 2018 mini than a 2015 iMac. An eGPU could be a great boost for it. Give me a moderately powerful one for $199 and I'm there. 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Hopefully, a new iMac design, borderless frame, now chunky bit at the bottom would be nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    nicmartnicmart Posts: 13member
    Easy prediction: overpriced RAM and storage.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jorjitopjorjitop Posts: 11member
    These had better be 7nm or they will be furnaces! But Intel does not have the CPU's. We need a Mac Mini Pro to fill the gap under the Mac Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    ...might we finally be offered a mini 'pro', with a discrete gpu & twin drive bays aka 2011...?
    Discrete gpu sure... understandable.... but
    twin drive bays
    seriously - what ancient world do you live in? (LOL)

Sadly, I have been struggling with my work environment so much under MacOS as well as other disasters (my 1 year old 4000€ MBP just went completely dead - again!). So I am now building out a work machine and will begrudgingly use *nix.

But this comment is poignant... because in my research, I have realised how incredibly archaic the "PC" world is. It is truly a struggle to find any hardware that provides remotely anything that resembled a modern position... I mean... why is there even a single USB 3.0 port? I am completely boggled by this... and they are still making computers with DVI? sigh...

despite all the pain (I have been more unlucky with Apple than you could ever imagine!!!), Apple does make solid products... and I really look forward to seeing them... but sadly, with the T2 lockdowns and great expense without longevity... I won't be getting any.

(okay... my whingeing is over)
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 38 of 44
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member

Usually updates are preceded by sales of the current models. Have there been many sales on the iMacs or Mac Minis lately?

Internals:

Most likely:

Inclusion of AMD Radeon RX 5X00 graphic cards. These may be the full desktop-strength versions or the lesser laptop-tier parts, but given that they are consumer oriented cards I’d say it is a good bet that any new iMac in the near future will include these chips.

Pretty likely:

Inclusion of Intel 10th generation chips. When the iMac has been updated in the past, they have been given the latest and greatest Intel core processors. In 2019, that was the 9th gen chips, with the i9-9900k at the high end; in 2017 it was the 7th gen chips topping out with the i7-7700k.

If the iMac is updated in the near time frame, the high-end model will likely get the i9-10900k, which has not been released yet, but kinda has been released, sort-of. The rest of the lineup will probably be from the 10th-gen Intel line of core processors. Apparently, Dell accidentally leaked some advertising touting 10th generation Intel chips in their newest computers, so the new chips should be available to consumers soon.

AMD Ryzen processors. Ignoring the Intel 10th generation processors, the AMD Ryzen chips are the best available. Normally I’d dismiss the idea of Apple switching to AMD as crazy talk, but there was that story from a few weeks ago about some sort of references to AMD chips (CPUs, not just GPUs) in the latest Mac OS build. It may be wishful thinking on my part, since inclusion of AMD processors in the iMac would likely pave the way for AMD processors in the Mac Pro, but AMD processors are not a total impossibility either. AMD CPU/GPU combos (APUs) would make sense in low end iMacs, Macbooks, and Mac Minis. Ryzen processors would make sense as Core processor replacements, and Threadrippers would be awesome in Mac Pros.

The 10th gen Intel chips are almost identical to the 9th gen except that (1) Intel is enabling hyper threading on more models, (2) price cut (kind of related to #1), and (3) Intel is adding a 10 core model at the top of the line. That 10 core model will suck down 300 watts, so if that goes in an iMac it will have to throttle quite a bit. 

So... if Apple sticks with Intel, then all that's really going to mean is that you get hyper threading for less money. That's not nothing. But if Apple went with AMD they could also increase performance at the high end. AMD's chips are now on TSMC's 7nm process and so consume less power to achieve a given performance level than Intel. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    New Mac Mini with Mac Pro case design features? Cool.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    blastdoor said:

Internals:

Most likely:

Pretty likely:

AMD Ryzen processors. Ignoring the Intel 10th generation processors, the AMD Ryzen chips are the best available. Normally I’d dismiss the idea of Apple switching to AMD as crazy talk, but there was that story from a few weeks ago about some sort of references to AMD chips (CPUs, not just GPUs) in the latest Mac OS build. It may be wishful thinking on my part, since inclusion of AMD processors in the iMac would likely pave the way for AMD processors in the Mac Pro, but AMD processors are not a total impossibility either. AMD CPU/GPU combos (APUs) would make sense in low end iMacs, Macbooks, and Mac Minis. Ryzen processors 00would make sense as Core processor replacements, and Threadrippers would be awesome in Mac Pros.

The 10th gen Intel chips are almost identical to the 9th gen except that (1) Intel is enabling hyper threading on more models, (2) price cut (kind of related to #1), and (3) Intel is adding a 10 core model at the top of the line. That 10 core model will suck down 300 watts, so if that goes in an iMac it will have to throttle quite a bit. 

So... if Apple sticks with Intel, then all that's really going to mean is that you get hyper threading for less money. That's not nothing. But if Apple went with AMD they could also increase performance at the high end. AMD's chips are now on TSMC's 7nm process and so consume less power to achieve a given performance level than Intel. 

More so the ever, Apple’s choice of processors are so uncertain now. They really should have started the switch to ARM in 2018 to remove this uncertainty, but alas no. The iMac 27 really only has the choice of the i9-10900K or Ryzen 3970X on the top end. The former is a well known quantity, the latter the better chip, and Apple probably really wants its ARM chip. 

If they are switching to ARM early next year, why bother moving away from Intel until then?

If not switching to ARM, they should switch to Ryzen for the desktops as soon as possible. The laptops can remain on Intel until AMD gets its low power and sleep states in order.

Staying on Intel in 2020 means some high wattage designs, and they must despise that, but it’s probably less effort for them?
    watto_cobra