Apple is sending care packages to stranded employees in China

Posted:
in iPad
Apple hasn't forgotten its employees in China isolated because of the coronavirus, and is sending them care packages containing food, medical supplies, and an iPad.

Care packages include snacks, face masks, and an iPad
Care packages include snacks, face masks, and an iPad

The care packages contain some snacks, face masks and even a new 10.2-inch iPad. Also enclosed with the items is a letter from Apple, to the employee.
Dear Colleagues in Hubei and Wenzhou,

We hope this note finds you heathy and well. Since the last communication with you, we understand that you are all staying strong in this challenging time. We understand the difficulties you are facing and would like to provide our best support to you and your families. Hubei and the city of Wuhan have been hit hardest by the coronavirus outbreak, which has now claimed 2,835 lives in China.

We are sending our best wishes to you, on behalf of the entire Apple Team, together with another CareKit for you and your families. In the kit, you will find comfort items and an iPad which can be used to facilitate children's online learning or help pass the time during the prolonged stay at home.

In addition, a series of counselling and consultation services have been prepared especially for you to help you through this time.
A post containing the letter and package contents on Chinese social network Weibo was discovered by MacRumors on Saturday morning.

Coronavirus infections vs deaths as of February 28
Coronavirus infections vs deaths as of February 28

The 2019 coronavirus continues to sweep the globe. New cases appear everyday throughout the world, and the virus continues to be a severe issue in China. AppleInsider has covered the outbreak and its potential damage to Apple and its supply chain since January. As we near new product announcements and another iPhone product cycle, the lack of fully operational facilities in China may have put Apple behind production schedule.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is optimistic about the state of things, and that China is getting the virus under control.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Damn, that’s mighty generous, Nice job Tim!
    edited February 2020 chasmargonautbshankBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 15
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    Kindness is such a nice thing these days .... ! Well done, Tim!
    chasmargonautstanthemanbshankBart Ykurai_kage
  • Reply 3 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I'd want an EVAC but seriously, 'we're thinking of you' goes a hellava long way.
    stanthemanBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Good job apple. 

What is in the first package? 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Given that many of these workers send most of their income to support their families in other parts of the country, the iPad is in particular a very generous gift -- more than a typical Chinese Foxconn worker makes, which is (given the legal max of 36 hours of overtime, which is 1.5x salary) around US$500 a month (varies by factory, job level, and many other things, but I'm trying to be conservative) -- and remember they get free housing, healthcare, vocational training, at least 11 holidays a year, and a certain amount of paid time off as well.

All together, I would generally say that while a Chinese Foxconn worker puts in more hours total than a US minimum-wage worker, their take home pay is probably quite similar. So, broadly speaking, that iPad is worth a month's salary.
    Bart Y
  • Reply 6 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    chasm said:
    Given that many of these workers send most of their income to support their families in other parts of the country, the iPad is in particular a very generous gift -- more than a typical Chinese Foxconn worker makes, which is (given the legal max of 36 hours of overtime, which is 1.5x salary) around US$500 a month (varies by factory, job level, and many other things, but I'm trying to be conservative) -- and remember they get free housing, healthcare, vocational training, at least 11 holidays a year, and a certain amount of paid time off as well.

All together, I would generally say that while a Chinese Foxconn worker puts in more hours total than a US minimum-wage worker, their take home pay is probably quite similar. So, broadly speaking, that iPad is worth a month's salary.
    Are you talking about Foxconn employees?

Why would they be getting this? It says in the article that Apple is sending it to its employees, which I would assume to mean employees employed by Apple in China.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not clear who exactly would allegedly be receiving these “care packages”. Unless confirmed by Apple (or Foxconn) I don’t believe it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Yeah. I’m doubting this has anything to do with the Foxcon assemblers. Assuming it’s just directly employed Apple employees what are getting the packages...
    still, it’s a nice touch.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Is this the same company iKnockoff users call "greedy"?
    stanthemanBart Y
  • Reply 10 of 15
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    Apple connects to PEOPLE in ways that few other large companies have ever done. EMPATHY is the essential, but often missing, quality of the modern manager and corporation.
    Bart Ykurai_kage
  • Reply 11 of 15
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Medical supplies, thats good.
    Better would be to supply Chinese hospitals with large batches of kinine and coronavirus test kits. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Nice gesture!  

At first glance, on my little screen, I saw the woman in the picture and thought they sent Playboys.  LOL

I had to zoom to see the child...

I may need to purchase the iPhone Max... I’m getting old.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 13 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    knowitall said:
    Better would be to supply Chinese hospitals with large batches of kinine and coronavirus test kits. 
    Isn't that the job of the Chinese government? 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    knowitall said:
    No it's Apple's job donchaknow? And had Apple provided batches of kinine and coronavirus test kits to Chinese hospitals people would complain that Apple didn't provide a cure.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 15
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    knowitall said:
    They clearly do not succeed in that, also countries should help each other when disasters strike, its the humane thing to do.
    Apple has literally money to burn, so they are in a position to do good things with it.