Retail iPhone 11 inventory dries up in NYC as coronavirus hits supply

Posted:
in General Discussion
New York City retailers report Apple iPhone 11 inventory dropping to zero due to the coronavirus constraining the supply chain.

The coronavirus can be identified with its halo like ring
The coronavirus can be identified with its halo like ring

As the COVID-19 strain of coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, more evidence of its effects on global supply chains are appearing. With most of China still in quarantine and Foxconn factories still operating at sub 100% numbers, the technology industry is grinding to a halt.

It has been reported by the New York Post that New York City retailers are running out of iPhone 11 stock and new shipments of phones don't include the latest iPhone at all.

"We got a shipment and it didn't have any iPhones in it," said a Verizon store employee, "just flip phones and Samsungs."

Other retailers contacted on the matter all state that shipments are a couple of weeks out with no real ETA. Some employees contradicted this, however, stating that the phones were being kept in stock in local warehouses to control limited supply during the period.

The coronavirus cases versus deaths as of March 6th
The coronavirus cases versus deaths as of March 6th

The effects of a global supply chain shortage will continue to impact day to day sales of the iPhone 11 and will likely impact the production of new models expected this fall, like the "iPhone 12."

Tim Cook has been public about the concerns surrounding coronavirus and is confident in Apple's ability to navigate around such constraints. The virus has begun affecting the US in the past week, creating mass cancellations of annual conferences, including ones by major companies like Amazon and Google. Apple has even pushed its employees in California to begin working from home as the threat of the virus continues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I'm tired to these virus pictures. They are useless and only scare people.  Useless because they are too small to see.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This could be good or bad for Apple.

The people who think Apple artificially constricts their supply will see if it actually works.
    bshank
  • Reply 3 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    ArcaSwiss said:
    I'm tired to these virus pictures. They are useless and only scare people.  Useless because they are too small to see.
    A good point. It's not like I can look around the room for one of these things. This isn't Star Trek Voyager: Macrocosm. They're invisible unless you have a powerful microscope.
    razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People who want an iPhone will wait to buy one if the supply is constrained. It's not like a phone is a spur of the moment purchase, people plan their phone purchases and most will be using them for many years.

If anybody decides to go buy an Android phone or a flip phone instead, then go ahead, have fun, enjoy yourself and spend your money wisely.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Scaring people works. This is the first outbreak of its kind in the era of global social media. Misinformation is rampant. Alternative truths are everywhere. A lot of money is being made off of scaring people.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 27
    During the 2018-19 flu season, about 35 million people in the US contracted the flu and about 34,000 died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This flu season, an estimated 32 million people have gotten the flu, with 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths.

Oh, no, let’s all panic. :#

Oh wait, those deaths are just from the regular flu, which happens every single year.

Tens of thousands dead each year just in the US and the media doesnt make a panic about that. Many people dont even bother to get a flu shot, even though tens of thousands will die.

A few people die from the corona virus and its the end of the world, lol.

The mainstream media can kiss my ass. I am also taking advantage of dumb people and easily scared people by starting new positions in some stocks Ive had my eyes on for a while.
    lkruppben20DAalseth
  • Reply 7 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    People who want an iPhone will wait to buy one if the supply is constrained. It's not like a phone is a spur of the moment purchase, people plan their phone purchases and most will be using them for many years.

If anybody decides to go buy an Android phone or a flip phone instead, then go ahead, have fun, enjoy yourself and spend your money wisely.

It can be. When your iPhone breaks or you loose it. People nowadays can't go a day without their iPhones.

lkrupp said:
    ArcaSwiss said:
    Scaring people works. This is the first outbreak of its kind in the era of global social media. Misinformation is rampant. Alternative truths are everywhere. A lot of money is being made off of scaring people.

There was a well-written terrifying Reddit post that scared even the media!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/f2b07y/i_am_a_senior_chinese_military_intelligence/
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Beats said:

It can be. When your iPhone breaks or you loose it. People nowadays can't go a day without their iPhones.
    I don't know what the figures are, but I think that represents only a small minority of customers. I think that the average person going to get a new phone is doing so because their current phone is simply too old and they are looking to upgrade to a newer model. They're not waiting until their current phone breaks completely or stops working.

Even if somebody's phone were to break or get stolen tomorrow then I highly doubt that the average iPhone user would get an Android or some other phone if a brand new iPhone model that they wanted wasn't available. They would either get a different model iPhone that was available if they need a phone immediately or they would go to the used market and get one of the gazillion iPhones that are sold there all of the time.
    edited March 2020 ben20
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Beats said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/f2b07y/i_am_a_senior_chinese_military_intelligence/
    These same nations also posses technology that is far more advanced than you can imagine and which is kept carefully hidden from public view. This includes advanced artificial intelligence capable of undermining and deciding any election in the world; biological and chemical agents that can manipulate and control the thinking patterns and behaviours of citizens to terrifying degrees; highly sophisticated manipulation techniques using hypnotic practices entirely unknown to the public; and other things that I will not go into now.

What a bunch of tinfoil hat garbage.

The internet is full of crackpots and social media/the mainstream media in general has devolved into a hyperbolic, click baiting bunch of dirty whores who couldn't care less about if something is factual or truthful or accurate.

Any publicity seeking moron, troll or hoaxer could have written that post and it's not like there aren't any of those types on the internet.
    edited March 2020 Bart Y
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Taking into account the earlier AppleInsider story “iPhone build numbers still greater than 2019, despite coronavirus”, The Great 2020 Apple Supply Versus Demand Collision has officially started.

edited March 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 27
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    apple ][ said:
    During the 2018-19 flu season, about 35 million people in the US contracted the flu and about 34,000 died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This flu season, an estimated 32 million people have gotten the flu, with 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths.

Oh wait, those deaths are just from the regular flu, which happens every single year.

Tens of thousands dead each year just in the US and the media doesnt make a panic about that. Many people dont even bother to get a flu shot, even though tens of thousands will die.

The mainstream media can kiss my ass. I am also taking advantage of dumb people and easily scared people by starting new positions in some stocks Ive had my eyes on for a while.
    The difference is that the flu has a much lower percentage of people who die from it.  Please do some research if you are not following the news, this is worse than the flu and may be more contagious which is a huge problem.   On a positive note, it is becoming clear that UV light, either artificial or from the Sun, is very effective at destroying this virus and other problems too.  It is going to be used as a weapon against the virus.  As days get more daylight and hours of Sun, this could only be a good thing.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 12 of 27
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    apple ][ said:

👍
  • Reply 13 of 27
    M68000 said:
    The difference is that the flu has a much lower percentage of people who die from it.  Please do some research if you are not following the news, this is worse than the flu and may be more contagious which is a huge problem.   On a positive note, it is becoming clear that UV light, either artificial or from the Sun, is very effective at destroying this virus and other problems too.  It is going to be used as a weapon against the virus.  As days get more daylight and hours of Sun, this could only be a good thing.
    I do plenty of reading, and the fact is that a lot is still uncertain.

There are a lot of opinions and speculation floating about, but we'll see where we are some months from now. I like to deal in facts and not opinions or speculation or estimates.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

COVID-19: Approximately 3,491 deaths reported worldwide; 14 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 7, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

edited March 2020 chabig
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    M68000 said:
    apple ][ said:

It’s also targeting a smaller set of people, i.e., old men. I’ve read that over 70% of deaths are men. So what’s the percentage of old men (say over 65) in the populace? Per a rough estimate (from Statista), that’s about 23-25 M or 7% of about 328 M. If we assume about a 3% mortality rate for all folks, if we assume everyone gets it, 9.84 M will die. Of that, 70% equals about 7 M men. That’s a percentage of deaths-to-men of 7/24 or about 29%.S Since it’s mostly the old who are dying, figure most of those men are old.

Not great odds....
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 15 of 27
    sacto joe said:
    It’s also targeting a smaller set of people, i.e., old men. I’ve read that over 70% of deaths are men. So what’s the percentage of old men (say over 65) in the populace? Per a rough estimate (from Statista), that’s about 23-25 M or 7% of about 328 M. If we assume about a 3% mortality rate for all folks, if we assume everyone gets it, 9.84 M will die. Of that, 70% equals about 7 M men. That’s a percentage of deaths-to-men of 7/24 or about 29%.S Since it’s mostly the old who are dying, figure most of those men are old.

Not great odds....
    There are an awful lot of assumptions there in that post and we all know where assumptions come from.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    Beats said:

These same nations also posses technology that is far more advanced than you can imagine and which is kept carefully hidden from public view. This includes advanced artificial intelligence capable of undermining and deciding any election in the world; biological and chemical agents that can manipulate and control the thinking patterns and behaviours of citizens to terrifying degrees; highly sophisticated manipulation techniques using hypnotic practices entirely unknown to the public; and other things that I will not go into now.

What a bunch of tinfoil hat garbage.

The internet is full of crackpots and social media/the mainstream media in general has devolved into a hyperbolic, click baiting bunch of dirty whores who couldn't care less about if something is factual or truthful or accurate.

Any publicity seeking moron, troll or hoaxer could have written that post and it's not like there aren't any of those types on the internet.

I thought it was well written. A lot of people (on social media) spread it as fact though.....
  • Reply 17 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Actually I find it interesting that the situation has not, to my knowledge, impacted demand for iPhones. I just (figuratively) talked a guy down from a ledge. He had ordered a couple of mice and just discovered they were made in, and were being shipped from, China. He was literally talking about taking the box when it arrived and tossing it unopened in a bonfire.* If some people are that freaked out by a box of mice, it somewhat surprises me that we aren't seeing people putting off buying a phone that they will press against their face. 

*for the record I told him that the bug can’t live outside of a body for more than a few hours. If he was worried just put it on a shelf for a week or two. Alternatively he could glove up and wipe them down with alcohol. And lastly good luck finding a mouse that ISN’T made in China. 
    edited March 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Beats said:

I thought it was well written. A lot of people (on social media) spread it as fact though.....
    Yes, it was maybe too well written, which strikes me as suspicious, even if the writer supposedly attended a University outside of China.

Either way, I do not believe it. I would have to see proof, which will never be made available of course, as that is par for the course for all those sorts of hoaxes and conspiracy theories.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 27
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I guess I'm a media sheeple after all...  I've been desperately clinging to my SE, pending the "SE2".  But last Thursday, on my way out of work, there was a stunning vista of my city's skyscrapers gleaming gold (near sunset) surrounded by heavy dark clouds overhead and equally gray surroundings.   I had to snap a pic, but my SE was just not up to the challenge... really disappointed in the result.

So upon reading this headline earlier, I sprang for an 11 Pro tonight.  My carrier was completely out of the Midnight Green except for the 256, which is overkill for my use case.  Fortunately, my Apple Store had them all in stock, for the moment.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I guess I'm a media sheeple after all...  I've been desperately clinging to my SE, pending the "SE2".  But last Thursday, on my way out of work, there was a stunning vista of my city's skyscrapers gleaming gold (near sunset) surrounded by heavy dark clouds overhead and equally gray surroundings.   I had to snap a pic, but my SE was just not up to the challenge... really disappointed in the result.

So upon reading this headline earlier, I sprang for an 11 Pro tonight.  My carrier was completely out of the Midnight Green except for the 256, which is overkill for my use case.  Fortunately, my Apple Store had them all in stock, for the moment.
    I have an SE too and still use it daily.

As for the camera, I agree that it is no comparison compared to the iPhone 11 Pro camera.

I'm confused by your last sentence, did you get the Midnight Green 256 or a different color?

I haven't seen it in person yet, but Midnight Green is probably my favorite of the iPhone 11 colors too.