Apple confirms 16-inch MacBook Pro 'popping' sound is software issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,479member
    jdw said:
    slurpy said:

It's rather amusing that people to this day still say "USB-C is the FUTURE" despite the fact it's been on the market several years and still USB-A remains ubiquitous.  The vast majority of thumb drives are still USB-A, and people use them all the time despite the existence of wireless means to transfer files.  You also overlook the fact that to make USB-C "any port" you need a dongle.  Ditto for SD cards.  This is not a knock against USB-C as much as it is a factual reality that cannot be denied.  To indirectly suggest that "all we need is USB-C" overlooks the fact that dongles get lost or forgotten; and in a pinch, you cannot afford to be without those things.  That's why having most of what you need built-in saves your bacon "as a PRO."  That remains true even if you are a perfect human being and have never lost a dongle in your entire life.  

Stay Foolish.
    The ones that cling to old legacy ports for the sake of compatibility stay foolish.

USB-C is the future to rule all. It's a done deal. The UX of USB-C is a huge improvement. No more fiddling wit ports being oriented correctly. It can power up to 100W, it can provide lines for high bandwidth monitors. It can do ethernet. It can do card readers. It can do much EVERYTHING. That's why there are docks and hubs out there that lets you use legacy devices and the USB-C will still support them. Get a dock.  All my new devices are USB-C based and I can say it's worth it since the UX is much better. 
    chiawatto_cobraGlockWorkOrange
  • Reply 22 of 36
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    macxpress said:
    jdw said:
    The same weasel who ate the SD card slot is surely the source of these pops.  Even without the beloved slot, one still needs to pawn his winter coat to afford the machine.

POP!  There goes the weasel.
    If you're trying to be funny, you failed miserably. 
    I strongly disagree with you. I’d find you boring!
    macxpressjdw
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,413member
    mac_dog said:
    Stay Foolish.
    Attack.
    It was a positive quote from Steve Jobs that was by no means a direct or indirect attack at anyone, and everything else I wrote in that post should have made that abundantly clear.  But the very fact some people ask about the meaning of those 2 words on Quora here implies many don't full grasp it's positive meaning.

Stay Foolish means to Think Different even in the face of opposition.  My Thinking Different appeals to the world's largest corporation to add back at least some practical goodness the MBP once had.  Some of you opposed to me are also Thinking Different from me, but only to oppose my call for those improvements, labeling them as unnecessary, old-tech and irrelevant, mainly because you yourselves simply do not need them.  Some seek to silence me by saying that I will "never make a difference."  These people also try to imply the existence of extra ports or slots would somehow burden people.  I disagree they would be a burden as evidenced by MacBook Pros of old which had ports aplenty yet cause no one to complain "I can't stand all these ports!"  Think about it.

I find it intriguing that those who wish to disagree with my appeal to have a legacy USB-A port along side modern ports misconstrue my words and falsely claim I want to hold technology back.  Some even resort to totally unnecessary profanity to more vehemently disagree with me.  No, my friends, I only want to hold DONGLES back.  A single USB-A port wouldn't look as pretty but if it could eliminate but one dongle, it would serve its purpose on a "Pro" machine costing upwards of US$4,000.  Pro devices always have connectivity that SOME would never use, yet it is a convenience and part of what makes a given machine PRO.  Having an internal SD card slot also serves to ensure you always have it with you and need no dongle.  It also once allowed always-in supplementary storage (i.e., the slot is not only for your camera's memory card).  And the fact that the SD card slot and USB-A and USB-C all coexist on the iMac Pro proves that I am not as off-base as some contend.  If the SD card slot is an "impediment to progress" then the iMac Pro and iMac would be impediments to that so-called progress.  Furthermore, to compare an SD Card slot to an optical drive or 30-pin connector is deviating from all I have written insofar as I have never called for the return of the optical drive, nor does the iMac Pro have it.  And yet, if one of my fellow Mac lovers did call for the return of the optical drive, while I would never use that feature, I would not feel compelled to use profanity and verbal cut-lows to attack that person in this forum.

I've actually said all this before, numerous times, and find I must repeat myself over and over, yet those who wish to disagree continue to argue the same points without giving due consideration to what I have said.  The name-calling ("clueless" etc.) continues for no good reason.  There are no bets being hedged.  No one would be "saddled with ports they don't need."  Again, to repeat myself, Apple has the AIR. It could gut that machine of USB-A and the SD card slot to make some of you happy (which Apple has already done) yet add those features back in the MacBook Pro (which it hasn't yet done).  And like I said before, if Apple added those back on the MB Pro, I highly doubt any of you who currently say "we don't need that!" would complain about that future machine, while those of us wanting those things would be overjoyed.  Furthermore, it's not about "what ALL Pros want."  It's about what SOME Mac lovers want.  Having those added features in only one of Apple's notebook lines would not result in the catastrophe that some claim would occur.  It's not going back to old tech anymore than the iMac Pro is going back.  The iMac Pro and the regular iMac are port-practical machines.  I simply want that again on the one MacBook line labeled "Pro."  It really is that simple.  

Dysamoria and Philboogie, thank you gentlemen for your kind words and understanding of what I have written.
    edited December 2019 philboogiemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 36
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    jdw said:
    Blahblahblahblah
    Blahblahblah
    Blah
    The original article was 324 words. 

So far in this thread, you've posted 1,948 words which have effectively drowned out the on-topic content that most of us expected when clicking the link.  Hence the brickbats.

You are well-entitled to your bully pulpit, but there's a time and place for rehashing stale arguments... and this wasn't it.
    chiamacxpressjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    netrox said:
    The ones that cling to old legacy ports for the sake of compatibility stay foolish.

USB-C is the future to rule all. It's a done deal. The UX of USB-C is a huge improvement. No more fiddling wit ports being oriented correctly. It can power up to 100W, it can provide lines for high bandwidth monitors. It can do ethernet. It can do card readers. It can do much EVERYTHING. That's why there are docks and hubs out there that lets you use legacy devices and the USB-C will still support them. Get a dock.  All my new devices are USB-C based and I can say it's worth it since the UX is much better. 
    USB-C the future? People said that about Light Peak Thunderbolt as well (Ethernet, data, power et cetera) yet Apple removed it from the MacBook, yet had to reinstate it due to public demand in 2009. It is actually Thunderbolt tech in MacBooks, just with a USB-C connector. A connector which still needs to be orientated correctly (only round connectors don't need orientation, like an audio jack). They also replaced FW with USB on the iPod, which had a slower data transfer rate. Sometimes Apple downgrades things. Because things change. Evolve. Connectors get replaced by newer designs. USB-C will get replaced at some point in time.

Here's a 'rant' on the removal of Thunderbolt:
    https://newatlas.com/no-firewire-kills-the-macbook/10238/

Which made Steve put the connector back in. This site here got their longest thread ever, over 1,500 posts on the subject, back in 2009.

Apple used to pride themselves on ports:

• MagSafe power port
    • Gigabit Ethernet port
    • Mini-DVI port
    • FireWire 400 port (up to 400 Mbps)
    • Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
    • Audio line in
    • Audio line out
    • Kensington lock slot

jdwmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,413member
    jdw said:
    Blahblahblahblah
    Blahblahblah
    Blah
    You are well-entitled to your bully pulpit...
    More name-calling, I see.  Welcome to the gang-bang on JDW.  It is interesting how that works.  One person initiates an attack, then another, and then another.  It appears to be a lot of fun for some to do that.  Personally, I just want to see the MBP return to be Pro in terms of ports, as Philboogie so excellently pointed out.  Thank you, Phil!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 36
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    jdw said:
    More name-calling, I see.
    Not even close.  Google the phrase “bully pulpit”, or even better, check Wikipedia.  It’s not an insult. 
    watto_cobraGlockWorkOrange
  • Reply 28 of 36
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,479member

Which made Steve put the connector back in. This site here got their longest thread ever, over 1,500 posts on the subject, back in 2009.

• MagSafe power port
    • Gigabit Ethernet port
    • Mini-DVI port
    • Audio line in
    • Audio line out
    • Kensington lock slot

That is actually the best argument for USB-C. It can do all of them. No more unsightly ports and no more fiddling with different ports. Apple is already switching Lightning port to USB-C on iPads. And likely will jettison Lightning ports all together in the next few years. The goal is to simplify the UX of connecting devices to a singular port. All PC's will become just USB-C. Apple just does it sooner than later. 
    chiafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    netrox said:

USB-C the future? People said that about Light Peak Thunderbolt as well (Ethernet, data, power et cetera) yet Apple removed it from the MacBook, yet had to reinstate it due to public demand in 2009. It is actually Thunderbolt tech in MacBooks, just with a USB-C connector. A connector which still needs to be orientated correctly (only round connectors don't need orientation, like an audio jack). They also replaced FW with USB on the iPod, which had a slower data transfer rate. Sometimes Apple downgrades things. Because things change. Evolve. Connectors get replaced by newer designs. USB-C will get replaced at some point in time.

• MagSafe power port
    • Gigabit Ethernet port
    • Mini-DVI port
    • Audio line in
    • Audio line out
    • Kensington lock slot

FireWire, not Thunderbolt. FireWire adequately served its purpose until it was lapped by both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 1, both of which were far superior. They dropped the FIreWire port from the lower tier MacBook and then brought it back in a later revision. Big deal.

You’re showing off dirt slow USB 2.0 and FW400 ports in the context of “pride”? That’s all we had back then. Thunderbolt 3 is 80x faster than either. 

It is actually Thunderbolt tech in MacBooks, just with a USB-C connector. A connector which still needs to be orientated correctly (only round connectors don't need orientation, like an audio jack). 

The hell are you talking about? FireWire is not Thunderbolt. USB-C can be oriented either direction. I’m not even sure you know which ports you’re even talking about here since you’re conflating FireWire and Thunderbolt already. 

watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 30 of 36
    First, an attempt at "humour":
    jdw said:
    The same weasel who ate the SD card slot is surely the source of these pops.  Even without the beloved slot, one still needs to pawn his winter coat to afford the machine.

POP!  There goes the weasel.
    Then, a speech on how you're better:
    jdw said:

But the fundamental difference between the style of you two gentlemen and myself is that I don't attack my fellow Mac lovers....

Ending with:
    jdw said:
    Stay Foolish.
    On being called out:
    jdw said:
    It was a positive quote from Steve Jobs that was by no means a direct or indirect attack at anyone, and everything else I wrote in that post should have made that abundantly clear.

So, circling back to your joke attempt, was it the same weasel from where you got your weasel words?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    netrox said:

• MagSafe power port
    • Gigabit Ethernet port
    • Mini-DVI port
    • Audio line in
    • Audio line out
    • Kensington lock slot

FireWire, not Thunderbolt. FireWire adequately served its purpose until it was lapped by both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 1, both of which were far superior. They dropped the FIreWire port from the lower tier MacBook and then brought it back in a later revision. Big deal.

You’re showing off dirt slow USB 2.0 and FW400 ports in the context of “pride”? That’s all we had back then. Thunderbolt 3 is 80x faster than either. 

It is actually Thunderbolt tech in MacBooks, just with a USB-C connector. A connector which still needs to be orientated correctly (only round connectors don't need orientation, like an audio jack). 

The hell are you talking about? FireWire is not Thunderbolt. USB-C can be oriented either direction. I’m not even sure you know which ports you’re even talking about here since you’re conflating FireWire and Thunderbolt already. 

Oops: I most certainly mixed up FW with TB!

And yes, USB-C can only be 'oriented either direction': it only goes in 2 ways. As opposed to an audio jack, which doesn't need orientation.

If history is anything to go by, USB-C will get replaced by something new. Connectors have always been replaced by something better. It's simply evolution.

muthuk_vanalingamjdw
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I can verify that this still is an issue even with 10.15.3 and occurs even when receiving message alerts like from incoming text messages or emails. There's a slight "click" or "pop" nanoseconds before the alert sound. It is beyond annoying!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    JadJad Posts: 1member
    Well,
    I have bought my late 2016 MacBook Pro which was the first MacBook Pro to do the popping cracking sound from the back of the screen, and since that time and I was trying to get rid of the sound, searching for a solution and never had found one!
    Anyway, yesterday the sound made me really nervous while I am doing some stuff. Went down and unscrewed the back of the MBP trying to find a solution without any success, until I got a spray lube which I put some on a cotton swab and wiped the hinge spacing, and the bottom of the display that connects with the black plastic underneath, it really differed on the same time of the wiping,
    This is the third date since and I can say the problem have been solved, but should be done carefully at your own risk!!

• Reply 34 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    Jad said:
    Well,
    I have bought my late 2016 MacBook Pro which was the first MacBook Pro to do the popping cracking sound from the back of the screen, and since that time and I was trying to get rid of the sound, searching for a solution and never had found one!
    Anyway, yesterday the sound made me really nervous while I am doing some stuff. Went down and unscrewed the back of the MBP trying to find a solution without any success, until I got a spray lube which I put some on a cotton swab and wiped the hinge spacing, and the bottom of the display that connects with the black plastic underneath, it really differed on the same time of the wiping,
    This is the third date since and I can say the problem have been solved, but should be done carefully at your own risk!!

The noise you describe from the hinges is not the same as the one discussed in this article.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 35 of 36
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Jad said:
    Well,

The noise you describe from the hinges is not the same as the one discussed in this article.
    So as in March, is the popping sound still an issue?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    DuhSesame said:
    Jad said:
    Well,

So as in March, is the popping sound still an issue?
    I haven't noticed it in mine---I assumed an update fixed it.

Now if they would only fix the noise cancelling on my AirPods Pro...