Mac Pro still poorly supported by Apple Store Genius Bar months after launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    rain22 said:
    Apple died with Jobs. 
    What made Apple was that it did have a soul. A happy face even when you booted it up. 
    Now it’s a soulless insidious monster with insidious schemes And a single thought - moar profits at any cost.

How long can they milk their customers without feeding them anything inspired - now that the bean-counters run the ship. That’s the only real question.

Sorry to hear about your experience - it’s disheartening that a trillion dollar company won’t send you a stand for your $6000 display or give you reasonable tech support for your $10,000 computer. 

Reminiscent of the ‘Derelict‘ show in Zoolander - monitor leaning against a wall and a busted Mac... 
    Always the glass half full with this one.
    chabig
  • Reply 42 of 50
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    When you say "acting up", a bit more info would be helpful to paint a picture of the type of problem and possibly help to explain why the support was so awful. Hardware problem? Software problem? Glitchy graphics? Hesitation?

I do expect better from Apple Support, and I hope they read this article.
    Our personal problem is really bad wireless communications of any sort -- Bluetooth or Wi-Fi -- which should be about the simplest thing to diagnose and figure out.
    Radio problems are hardly ever simple to figure out unless the radios simply aren't working. Also, the fact that your machine refused to boot in the store makes me suspect other problems.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    chabig said:
    When you say "acting up", a bit more info would be helpful to paint a picture of the type of problem and possibly help to explain why the support was so awful. Hardware problem? Software problem? Glitchy graphics? Hesitation?

I do expect better from Apple Support, and I hope they read this article.
    Our personal problem is really bad wireless communications of any sort -- Bluetooth or Wi-Fi -- which should be about the simplest thing to diagnose and figure out.
    Radio problems are hardly ever simple to figure out unless the radios simply aren't working. Also, the fact that your machine refused to boot in the store makes me suspect other problems.
    As per the article, it booted in the store, after power was applied.

Repeated here: Apple procedure for troubleshooting this in literally any other machine:

1) In the store, replace the OS. If symptoms persist, then...
    2) Replace the motherboard or module.

This isn't a 14-step process like anything else is. It is literally, two steps. By procedure, it is, literally, Apple's simplest and quickest, troubleshoot in-store.
    edited March 2020 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 44 of 50
    PShimiPShimi Posts: 38member
    viclauyyc said:
    razorpit said:
    mytdave said:
    That's crazy. I've replaced practically every part in Xeon based servers, including motherboards over the years, it's not that hard.
    Apple Stores don't have any standard C13 power cords laying around?
    I don't see mentioned in the article what kind of problem your Mac Pro is having. That would be nice to know.

Why didn't they just run down to the corner Radio Shack store and ick one up?  ;)
    No. It have to be Apple brand.  Designed in California. Made in China. 

I think you mean Chinafornia?
    Appalifina is probably taking it too far...
  • Reply 45 of 50
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    wizard69 said:
    Call me what you want but nothing about Apple “service” impresses me over the last 5 years or so.    The idea that Apple has competent people in the stores and service centers is really a hold over from what people got a decade ago.   For the most part Apple can’t support its own hardware beyond simple fixes.    Service / support screw ups are why I have a Linux box on my desk right now.  

All of this is especially distressing when hardware prices have sky rocketed beyond all reason.  Why people defend Apples pricing is beyond me, the value isn’t there anymore.  Back in 2008 when I got into Macs again the Apple Tax was bearable.  These days between the initial high costs and the screwing you get if something is out of warranty going Apple is just stupid.    People need to wake up the Apple of old is gone.  
    1. The reason there are competent people in Apple Stores today is because of what Apple is doing now, not what happened a decade ago. 
    2. Apple can support hardware beyond simple fixes. I‘ve had a motherboard & screens replaced by them. I’ve been in Apple Stores many times. Apple can fix or replace their products. 
    3. For certain projects Linux is still buggy & some pros don’t want to put up with that.
    Take music production and this article from opensource.com titled; “Configuring Linux for Music Recording and Production”

“When it comes to areas like visual arts, video, business, or gaming, you'll find some tools with promising potential, but lots of bugs, quirks, and challenges. You can accomplish whatever you need in most cases, but the setup and learning curve may not be as smooth as proprietary options on proprietary systems.”

Many pros don’t want to put up with that. 
    Instead there are several refined options with Apple & Windows. For instance Apple sells Logic Pro, digital audio workstation software (DAW) which has many plugins.
    - Decent speed iMacs & MacBooks are well suited for this kind of work as they integrate well with the software & they are usually quiet.
    * On YouTube many content creators use Macs & Final Cut Pro has their go to system for production & editing video.
    4. As for pricing, the premium market as a whole has been rising in price.  
    - Besides some people not wanting to take the time to tinker with Linux, many people prefer portability. Both laptops & tablets outsell desktops. So a Linux desktop would not fill their needs.
    - Intel based Ultrabooks can start as high as $1800.
    - A Microsoft Surface Book 3 can cost $3000. 
    - Apple pricing is part of that trend. 
    5. Is “going Apple just stupid”? I don’t think so. I’ve dealt with other computer companies & Apple still is the best I’ve worked with. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 46 of 50
    nicmartnicmart Posts: 13member
    To a long-time Apple customer, this is no shock. I opened a typesetting business with the first LaserWriter, and then upgraded to LaserWriter Plus as soon as possible. After a few months the printer failed, and I took it back to the authorized Apple dealer. Weeks went by without diagnosis or repair. When I visited the store, located about an hour from Apple, parts were just sitting in the sales are in plain view. My calls to Apple, begging for assistance, were ignored. I finally had to file a small claims case to get resolution. In the mid-90s I owned the next-to-latest Mac model, and when working on a friend's identical model I noticed that her's was faster. So, I called Apple and was told that the computer I had, with an upgraded card, had a serial number that showed it to not be a production model. I had purchased it from an authorized dealer in what appeared to be new and was in a properly sealed box. And how would a dealer get a non-production Mac, anyway? So, began a series of infuriating calls over several weeks, with Apple refusing my request to replace the Mac with the current model. One support agent bizarrely suggested that I could sell the video card to a friend of his. For weeks Apple was steadfast in not standing behind its product. So, back to small claims. Not until the very day of court did Apple call to tell me that it could replace mine with the current model. Granted, I've had some good experiences with Apple since I bought my first two Macs in 1984, but over lesser issues. I've never found Apple to be a company of high integrity that would always do the right thing.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    MacPro said:
    Before I retired and closed my business, all our Apple equipment was purchased through the Apple Business division, not the local store.  If something went wrong we had a hotline.  

One day I recall, an Apple 30" monitor died in the middle of production for an ESPN show we were editing at around 4 p.m. and I called the business support line.  We received a replacement at 8 a.m. the next morning before work began along with special packing for the dead one and Apple collected that the next day.  

Has Apple closed its business division?  Do professional clients now carry a Mac Pro to their local store?  Really?
    My understanding is they will service it like you suggest if you have the corporate/business version of AppleCare (ie, house calls).
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 48 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    nicmart said:
    To a long-time Apple customer, this is no shock. I opened a typesetting business with the first LaserWriter, and then upgraded to LaserWriter Plus as soon as possible. After a few months the printer failed, and I took it back to the authorized Apple dealer. Weeks went by without diagnosis or repair. When I visited the store, located about an hour from Apple, parts were just sitting in the sales are in plain view. My calls to Apple, begging for assistance, were ignored. I finally had to file a small claims case to get resolution. In the mid-90s I owned the next-to-latest Mac model, and when working on a friend's identical model I noticed that her's was faster. So, I called Apple and was told that the computer I had, with an upgraded card, had a serial number that showed it to not be a production model. I had purchased it from an authorized dealer in what appeared to be new and was in a properly sealed box. And how would a dealer get a non-production Mac, anyway? So, began a series of infuriating calls over several weeks, with Apple refusing my request to replace the Mac with the current model. One support agent bizarrely suggested that I could sell the video card to a friend of his. For weeks Apple was steadfast in not standing behind its product. So, back to small claims. Not until the very day of court did Apple call to tell me that it could replace mine with the current model. Granted, I've had some good experiences with Apple since I bought my first two Macs in 1984, but over lesser issues. I've never found Apple to be a company of high integrity that would always do the right thing.
    Those are some pretty ancient anecdotes, man.

I've had stellar support from Apple every step of the way for the last 15 years or so. Like, consistently surprised at how friendly, cheap (often free), and fast they were. Literally top tier customer service as far as I'm concerned. 
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    nicmart said:
    1) it sounds like your beef is with the third-party dealer that hosed you both times.
    2) It also sounds like the dealer sold you a floor demo machine. Apple had a program for a time where a dealer could buy a machine as a floor demo, but there were restrictions on resale.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 50 of 50
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    If you're trying to get support for your business equipment at the "Genius" Bar, you get what you deserve.

If you're under warranty, you NEED to be going to an Apple authorized support provider, NOT to the Apple Store. 

If you're out of warranty, you either want the authorized support if you want a board swap, or an unauthorized shop if you want component level repair.

The "Genius" Bar can do some component swaps, they don't care about your data, they can't and won't try to help you with any third party software, and they know nothing about your business.