Apple closes all retail stores outside of China until March 27

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook in a letter published late Friday detailed the company's response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, saying it will close all retail outlets outside of Greater China until March 27.

Apple Store
Source: Deirdre O'Brien via Instagram

Cook in the letter acknowledged the severity of COVID-19, noting Apple "wants to continue to play a role in helping individuals and communities emerge stronger" from the crisis.

The executive said Apple learned a great deal from combating the virus in China, where the company on Friday reopened its chain of 42 stores, and came away with a set of best practices that will assist it and others in formulating a global response.

"One of those lessons is that the most effective way to minimize risk of the virus's transmission is to reduce density and maximize social distance," Cook writes. "As rates of new infections continue to grow in other places, we're taking additional steps to protect our team members and customers."

While China's stores remain open, albeit with reduced operating hours, Apple will close all other outlets around the world to mitigate transmission and spread of the virus. Prior to Cook's letter, the company on Friday announced store closures across Spain and one U.S. location in Pennsylvania.

Apple's online storefront, accessible via the web or the official Apple Store app, will be open during the two-week hiatus for brick-and-mortar stores. Customers looking for technical support and repairs are urged to visit support.apple.com, where they can be connected with local Authorized Service Providers or request a product to be mailed in for service.

During the temporary shutdown, all hourly workers are set to receive full pay, Cook said. Further, Apple has updated work policies to accommodate personal or family health circumstances resulting from COVID-19, including recovering from an illness, caring for sick family members, mandatory quarantining, or childcare challenges due to school closures.

As with past global emergencies, Apple is donating funds to the global COVID-19 response. According to Cook, the company's commitments reached $15 million worldwide, with funds going toward treatment and to "help lessen the economic and community impacts" of the virus. Apple is also matching employee donations on a two-to-one basis to support local, national and international COVID-19 response efforts.

Cook closed the letter by thanking those fighting on the front line, specifically first responders, doctors, nurses, researchers, public health experts and public servants.

"We do not yet know with certainty when the greatest risk will be behind us," Cook writes. "And yet I have been inspired by the humanity and determination I have seen from all corners of our global community. As President Lincoln said in a time of great adversity: 'The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.' That's always how Apple has chosen to meet big challenges. And it's how we'll rise to meet this one, too."

Deirdre O'Brien, Apple's SVP of Retail and People, issued a short statement on Instagram to announce the coming store closures and thank retail employees.

"I am profoundly grateful to our exceptional team members all around the world who have shown such deep care for our customers and each other during this difficult time," O'Brien said.

Today's announcement should come as no surprise, as Apple's response to the coronavirus pandemic has been swift and wide-reaching. Apple Stores in China were initially closed in late January, followed by a complete retail and corporate shutdown in early February. The company this week shuttered all outlets in Italy on the back of a national quarantine, suspended all Today at Apple sessions in the U.S. and instituted strict global policies with hopes of minimizing the spread of the virus.

Most recently, Apple on Friday announced this year's Worldwide Developers Conference will be held completely online due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    balubalu Posts: 13member
    Good move. Now how do I get my SE2? 😬
    sirozha
  • Reply 2 of 63
    I can see why they’ve done this but my MacBook Pro is in for repair at one of their stores! Repair was completed Thursday but they damaged my logic board so had to replace that, now that means it is just going to be sitting there for 2 weeks?!
    Wonder what the plan is for repairs in progress?
    gilly33anantksundaram
  • Reply 3 of 63
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    This is the most overblown BS I have seen in my lifetime.  Pure hype.  The entirety of the American media should be dissolved for creating this panic.

Corona killed what, less than 100 Americans?  Swine Flu killed 23,000 Americans, nothing.  Measles?  Nothing.  H1N1?  Nothing.  EBOLA?  Not a damned thing.  

One basketball player gets a cold and the whole country loses its f#$(%(&  mind.  

Glad I have cash on hand because the market is having the sale of the century, and all its going to cost is the economy, and thousands of jobs.

Shame on all of you lemmings who are playing along.
    mike1JWSCITGUYINSDanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    echosonic said:
    This is the most overblown BS I have seen in my lifetime.  Pure hype.  The entirety of the American media should be dissolved for creating this panic.

Corona killed what, less than 100 Americans?  Swine Flu killed 23,000 Americans, nothing.  Measles?  Nothing.  H1N1?  Nothing.  EBOLA?  Not a damned thing.  

One basketball player gets a cold and the whole country loses its f#$(%(&  mind.  

Glad I have cash on hand because the market is having the sale of the century, and all its going to cost is the economy, and thousands of jobs.

Thank you for being today's contrarian dipshit.

Please enjoy spending your excessive free time in bars, and concerts with the rest of the doubting dipshits.

Don't forget all of that demand destruction that is going on when you make your investments.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zx3WVpp8y-SMLrxg3tckbF5PmcV0FCtuyWuUiFVYiUo/edit

This above a twitter thread from a doctor in an ICU in Washington state, translated for the public by a medical student.

Here is a portion;

"
    • ●  Since 2/28, they’ve seen 21 patients and 11 deaths.
      Although disease is expected to be worse in patients who are older with comorbidities, they have also seen young healthy patients critically ill.

• ●  They estimate COVID-19 has been spreading in the United States since January, thus making it challenging to contain now because so many people are infected with either mild/no symptoms.

• ●  In their hospital, the entire intensive care unit (ICU) is being used for patients that are critically ill with COVID-19. Another floor is dedicated to patients with COVID-19 that are stable (their clinical course is not expected to change rapidly so they do not need as high a staff:patient ratio) and end of life care. Half of the progressive care unit (PCU) and emergency room (ER) are also being used for patients that are stable.

• ●  Patients with new respiratory symptoms are being held in the pulmonary clinic as overflow.

• ●  Because COVID-19 is thought to be spread through aerosols, there is higher risk to healthcare providers in procedures that generate aerosols such as intubation (placing a breathing tube), suctioning the airway, or performing a bronchoscopy (looking into the lungs with a camera). For aerosol-generating procedures, it was previously recommended that providers wear a N95 mask (which protects against viruses or bacteria spread through the air) as opposed to a normal surgical mask, which protects against droplets. The CDC is no longer asking providers who were wearing a surgical mask (droplet protection) during aerosol-generating procedures to stay home.

There is much more, but the bottom line is that the medical system is already stretched past the limit.

and,

(the 19th Surgeon General of the United States)

"THREAD: Yesterday, I spoke with doctors from one of the nation’s leading academic hospitals located in a state where #COVID19 cases are increasing quickly. This is what they told me: They've been seeing *many* patients with symptoms concerning for COVID19 who need testing (1/x)"

"
    But they are unable to get the *vast majority* of them COVID19 testing. Their only resource for testing is the state lab. But the state lab is severely limited in capacity and it will take another few weeks for the hospital lab to implement its own test. (2/x)"

"
    So the hospital is saving their test requests for only those who are severely ill - such as those with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) who have tested negative for other conditions (like influenza). In other words, they are having to ration tests. (3/x)"
    edited March 2020 MacProOnPartyBusinessequality72521Anilu_777hammeroftruthbaconstangdbreckDogpersonking editor the grateMisterKit
  • Reply 5 of 63
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    echosonic said:

H1N1 and swine flu are the same thing, and killed about 11,000 americans in the recent pandemic, with a fatality rate about 1/10 less than the current estimation for COVID-19, while being similarly contagious.  That was declared a national emergency too, so not sure what you mean by "nothing".  The response to COVID-19 has been informed by the experience of other recent pandemics, many of which could have been contained much better.
    tmayCloudTalkinradarthekatOnPartyBusinessequality72521Anilu_777dewmebaconstangdbreckDogperson
  • Reply 6 of 63
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    echosonic said:

It’s not about how many people have died so far. It’s about the mortality rate and how easily and fast this virus spreads. If we allow half of the population to be infected this year, there will be millions of Americans dead from this virus by the end of 2020. 
    radarthekatgilly33equality72521baconstangdbreckDogpersonking editor the grateStrangeDaysCarnage
  • Reply 7 of 63
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    Ecosonic, your comment "Shame on all of you lemmings who are playing along" will have a total new meaning two months from now.
    MacProradarthekatequality72521baconstangDogpersonking editor the grateMisterKitmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63Carnage
  • Reply 8 of 63
    seanj said:
    This is a serious mistake.

Its the correct response in SOME countries due to the stage and spread of the virus. But it's completely wrong for other counties where it could make things worse as it effectively starts a lockdown process before its needed. Doing so too early reduces the effictiveness when it is required. So here in the UK because the early phase was handled better than in Italy, the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Officers have recommended against this kind of thing at this moment. It may be necessary in the UK in 10 to 14 weeks when the peak is expected.

Ignoring the medical science and following the panic on social media is a virtue signalling response.
    Once the virus is outside of containment, then the result is mitigation. Uk will end up like Italy if it doesn't take maximum measures early. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-cases-symptoms-death-toll-epidemic-covid-19-a9390241.html

Good luck on that. UK expected to go into mitigation in 10-14 days. The problem is that your medical services will be maxed out much sooner than 10 weeks, then deaths start climbing. 

edited March 2020 MacProradarthekatgilly33equality72521baconstangDogperson
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    echosonic said:

Is that you Donald?
    tmayMacProradarthekatOnPartyBusinessgilly33hammeroftruthdewmebaconstangMplsPDogperson
  • Reply 10 of 63

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate."

Michael O. Leavitt, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, 2007

radarthekatOnPartyBusinessgilly33equality72521hammeroftruthbaconstangdbreckMplsPDogpersonMisterKit
  • Reply 11 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    echosonic said:

I see China (hopefully) seems have curtailed the spread by its draconian shut down and quarantine measures, only 11 new cases yesterday.  Seems to be a good model to follow.
    baconstangRonnnieOking editor the grateCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Dougie.S said:
    I can see why they’ve done this but my MacBook Pro is in for repair at one of their stores! Repair was completed Thursday but they damaged my logic board so had to replace that, now that means it is just going to be sitting there for 2 weeks?!
    Wonder what the plan is for repairs in progress?
    Fingers crossed they ship it to you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 63
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    echosonic said:

Measles rarely kills on its own, but it completely resets the immune system’s memory of all past responses, and so many who contract it end up dead from cancer or other maladies.  And so it’s nothing to play around with.  It would have been eradicated if not for the ignorant anti-vaxxers.  Please don’t tell us you’re one of those.

Covid-19 has killed less than 100 Americans because it’s still in very early stages in America.  A tepid initial response has allowed internal transmission and that marks the true beginning of an outbreak in any country.  See South Korea, Iran and especially Italy.  There were 11k new cases worldwide today, illustrating this virus’ capacity to spread quite easily.  Italy’s death toll stands at 14%.  A fast spreading contagion with the potential to kill 14% in a population that skews older (Italy’s median population is 45.1 years; one of the oldest) is nothing to ignore.  

US median age is 37.7 years, so it’s a country in a better position relative to Italy.  Maybe.  Here in the Philippines where I’m currently living a semi-retired life as an American expat, the median age is around 24 years.  That can be good and bad.  It’s good that most will experience only mild symptoms, but bad because they may therefore not report and spread the disease to others, eventually to the elderly in their families and communities and to the expat population, which skews older.  A similar phenomenon may occur among the younger generation in every country, allowing the disease to hide while spreading.  

We are not lemmings to take this seriously, we are prudent.  You should do your research and apply some critical thinking.  

edited March 2020 gilly33tmayequality72521dewmebaconstangDogpersonking editor the gratemuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    sirozha said:
    echosonic said:

It’s not about how many people have died so far. It’s about the mortality rate and how easily and fast this virus spreads. If we allow half of the population to be infected this year, there will be millions of Americans dead from this virus by the end of 2020. 
    The mortality rate is not well understood.  Many will, or already have, contracted the virus with little in the way of symptoms. This makes the mortality rate appear much higher than it actually is because, for the most part, it is only those who fall very ill that get tested.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 63
    echosonic said:

Measles rarely kills on its own, but it completely resets the immune system’s memory of all past responses, and so many who contract it end up dead from cancer or other maladies.  And so it’s nothing to play around with.  It would have been eradicated if not for the ignorant anti-vaxxers.  Please don’t tell us you’re one of those.

Covid-19 has killed less than 100 Americans because it’s still in very early stages in America.  A tepid initial response has allowed internal transmission and that marks the true beginning of an outbreak in any country.  See South Korea, Iran and especially Italy.  There were 11k new cases worldwide today, illustrating this virus’ capacity to spread quite easily.  Italy’s death toll stands at 14%.  A fast spreading contagion with the potential to kill 14% in a population that skews older (Italy’s median population is 45.1 years; one of the oldest) is nothing to ignore.  

US median age is 37.7 years, so it’s a country in a better position relative to Italy.  Maybe.  Here in the Philippines where I’m currently living a semi-retired life as an American expat, the median age is around 24 years.  That can be good and bad.  It’s good that most will experience only mild symptoms, but bad because they may therefore not report and spread the disease to others, eventually to the elderly in their families and communities and to the expat population, which skews older.  A similar phenomenon may occur among the younger generation in every country, allowing the disease to hide while spreading.  

We are not lemmings to take this seriously, we are prudent.  You should do your research and apply some critical thinking.  

Wish you were here in the US to see the panic buying.  Bottled water is flying off the shelves.  Why?  Is normal tap water contaminated now?   Grocery store shelves are empty.  And the big question in my mind is what happens if/when the US is "recovered"?  It takes just one person flying in from somewhere in the world (keep in mind it'll be winter in the southern hemisphere soon and may make the spread there worse), to start the spread all over again.  Do we lock out everyone from coming to the US for a year?  

China's actions are working because no one is going there.   Seems it would take the same for the US to recover.   What is the long term solution?
    edited March 2020 JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 63
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Full pay while off work. Good on Apple and Tim Cook. I know Tim has a lot of haters but this guy has heart. 
    tmaybaconstangdbreckDogpersonRonnnieOStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    echosonic said:

Italy’s death toll has to do with the fact that the peak infection rate exceeded their health care system’s capacity. Many of those who died did so only because of lack of treatment.  Michael Shellenberger has some good articles on this.

This panic is overblown and because of the public panic a lot of people are making very poor decisions because they don’t have the mental tools to understand relative risks and probabilities.  Much of the media and election year politics is clouding any such discussion.  This is a public policy disaster in the making.

edited March 2020 sailorpaulwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    The most important thing is preventing the spread of the virus. How many people who work in Apple retail around the globe go home to an elderly relative, newborn baby, or person with compromised immunity? This isn’t about politics, money, or optics. Protecting the people we care about comes first, and keeping people home who do not need to be working is the best way to combat the spread.

Apple and other tech companies are in the best positions to take such measures. We do not need a shiny retail store to be open when infections are spreading. Superstores like Wal-mart and amazon will likely remain manned through the entire process. What can be said about their elderly employees and managers? Just as Apple was prudent in warning on their guidance, they will be seen as prudent in this measure too. More companies will follow suit, to some extent, in the following week.
    MacProbaconstangDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 63
    JWSC said:
    echosonic said:

Italy’s death toll has to do with the fact that the peak infection rate exceeded their health care system’s capacity. Many of those who died did so only because of lack of treatment.  Michael Shellenberger has some good articles on this.  This panic is overblown and because of the public panic a lot more f people are making poor decisions.

"Italy’s death toll has to do with the fact that the peak infection rate exceeded their health care system’s capacity. Many of those who died did so only because of lack of treatment."

Which is precisely the problem that locales in the U.S. are currently facing, and that the U.S. will face, if they don't get the Coronavirus contained. Italy didn't get the Coronavirus contained locally, so the whole country is in containment. South Korea is still working frantically to contain the virus, at a huge level of effort, and they seem to be successful.

MacProbaconstangdbrecksailorpaulStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 63

ITGUYINSD said:
    echosonic said:

Wish you were here in the US to see the panic buying.  Bottled water is flying off the shelves.  Why?  Is normal tap water contaminated now?   Grocery store shelves are empty.  And the big question in my mind is what happens if/when the US is "recovered"?  It takes just one person flying in from somewhere in the world (keep in mind it'll be winter in the southern hemisphere soon and may make the spread there worse), to start the spread all over again.  Do we lock out everyone from coming to the US for a year?  

China's actions are working because no one is going there.   Seems it would take the same for the US to recover.   What is the long term solution?
    At some point, herd immunity will happen. Then of course, you can look forward to mutations, same as the seasonal flu.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-britons-will-need-to-contract-covid-19-for-herd-immunity-11956793