Apple Card holders can request to skip March payment

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple and Goldman Sachs have rolled out a new "Customer Assistance Program" to help Apple Card users facing financial difficulty during the coronavirus outbreak.

Apple Card issued by Goldman Sachs
Apple Card issued by Goldman Sachs

Announced on Saturday morning via an email, Apple will allow users to avoid their March payment interest free using a new program. This comes as another consumer facing gesture during the fight with the coronavirus outbreak.

The email reads:
"We're here to help.

We understand that the rapidly-evolving COVID-19 situation poses unique challenges for everyone and some customers may have difficulty making their monthly payments. Apple Card is committed to helping you lead a healthier financial life.

Should you need assistance, please click here to be connected to Apple Card Support via Messages and enroll in our Customer Assistance Program, which will allow you to skip your March payment without incurring interest chargers."
Users who are interested can visit the Apple Card support page and request a support member aid them. The notification was first spotted by MacRumors

Apple has been at the front of the outbreak, being among the first companies to warn against its effects on their quarterly reports and closing stores around the globe. They have also pledged $1 million to San Jose as a result of WWDC being moved to an online only venture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My son-in-law was informed he would have to accept a 50% cut in pay for two months because of lost revenue during the pandemic. it was either that or get laid off. So I can see the reasoning behind Apple's offer. Nice.
    MisterKitTomPMRIStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    Impressive, compassionate move by an amazing company. Apple, not Goldman. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    lkrupp said:
    My son-in-law was informed he would have to accept a 50% cut in pay for two months because of lost revenue during the pandemic. it was either that or get laid off. So I can see the reasoning behind Apple's offer. Nice.
    Crikey, that’s just awful and sorry to hear it. What country is that in? 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    jas99 said:
    It's G-S's call. Apple can ask, maybe pressure. And it neither might not have been needed.
    GeorgeBMacchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    jas99 said:
    It's G-S's call. Apple can ask, maybe pressure. And it neither might not have been needed.

True!   It's Goldmann's money, not Apple's.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupp said:

There will be many in that same boat -- especially in restaurants, travel, etc...  But, if the U.S. gets to closing non-essential shops, a LOT of others will be in that situation too (but I doubt that will happen here).

And, no knowledgeable person is still thinking that this will pass over quickly.   Mostly the efforts and concern seem to be protecting the healthcare system from becoming overloaded.  

The U.K. is reported to be considering a unique approach:   Let the virus run rampant with little or no restrictions -- except anybody over 70 will be quarantined for 2 months!  That is obviously a move to protect their NHS from overload since its the over 60's who will make up the bulk of the hospitalizations.  While that makes sense, being close to 70 myself I say it sucks!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:

There will be many in that same boat -- especially in restaurants, travel, etc...  But, if the U.S. gets to closing non-essential shops, a LOT of others will be in that situation too (but I doubt that will happen here).

And, no knowledgeable person is still thinking that this will pass over quickly.   Mostly the efforts and concern seem to be protecting the healthcare system from becoming overloaded.  

The U.K. is reported to be considering a unique approach:   Let the virus run rampant with little or no restrictions -- except anybody over 70 will be quarantined for 2 months!  That is obviously a move to protect their NHS from overload since its the over 60's who will make up the bulk of the hospitalizations.  While that makes sense, being close to 70 myself I say it sucks!
     Years of negligence with regard to the NHS has led to a situation where it will break under the slightest strain. On top of that, the hostile environment the same government has fostered towards foreigners working in the NHS is going to further compound the situation. They'll let the virus run rampant because they have no other choice.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    What will be interesting his how long it'll take them to restore your son-in-law's salary when the pandemic is over.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:

Years of negligence with regard to the NHS has led to a situation where it will break under the slightest strain. On top of that, the hostile environment the same government has fostered towards foreigners working in the NHS is going to further compound the situation. They'll let the virus run rampant because they have no other choice.
    The health system in the U.S. is  in no better shape.  Actually a good bit worse since 30 million people have no access to it.   The government will now pay for their tests -- but not their hospitalization.   Plus, our for-profit system leaves no room for contingencies -- they size the hospitals to maintain them at high capacity without much room for mass disasters like this is headed towards.

China & S Korea faced the same problem and their government and military stepped in to put up new hospitals and coverted hotels and under utilized buildings to emergency facilities.  Plus, they both instituted massive testing programs to minimize contagion. 

Conversely, our only responses have been patch work coming from state and local governments.