michael moore's new film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
last night spike lee was on charles barkley's show and had many interesting things to say, but on the subject of michael moore he said he thought "bowling for columbine" was the best movie of the year, and yes he is aware that he played with the facts and that maybe it technically wasn't a documentary, but he thought it made a great statement on america's preoccupation with violence and gun culture.

anyway that's not why i started this thread i started it because it was reported today in variety today

(quoted here in this item from upi)

that his next film will deal with bush-bin laden relationship. it appears they go way back. sounds like fun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    As if his opinion can be trusted...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    his opinion certainly can be trusted, it's just an opinion. i think you mean can his findings be trusted? did you read the article noahj?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

his opinion certainly can be trusted, it's just an opinion. i think you mean can his findings be trusted? did you read the article noahj?

Michael Moore and his opinions are of no consequence to me. No I did not read the article as I could care less what he has to say anymore. Nor do I care about anything he has to offer either. Thanks though.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    if you couldn't care less, why did you post? i usually don't add to or read in fact, things that i couldn't care less about. i believe there is another thread floating around for bemoaning michael moore.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Apparently his new film is called Fahrenheit 911, something about how Bush is exploiting the tragedy and the 3000 victims to push his own agenda...

I have a feeling if his Oscar speech didn't piss off enough people, wait till you see this.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

if you couldn't care less, why did you post? i usually don't add to or read in fact, things that i couldn't care less about.

Because I had nothing better to do. Which is why I am now posting again in this otherwise meaningless thread. Any other questions bright boy? Another zinger perhaps?

Michael Moore has lost any respect I had for him. Period.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Apparently his new film is called Fahrenheit 911, something about how Bush is exploiting the tragedy and the 3000 victims to push his own agenda...

I have a feeling if his Oscar speech didn't piss off enough people, wait till you see this.

i think your simplifying it, it's about bush 41 and his relationship with the bin laden family as well.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

i believe there is another thread floating around for bemoaning michael moore.

Yeah, I started it... And?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Yes......you posted it so you must have had a point to make...

Is there's something to be investigated then it is the public's best interest to hav it brought to them.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Michael Michael Michael... from busting bastard corporations into the world international politics. This will no doubt be an abortion.

Here's hoping he abandons his "man of the people" shtick.

He used to be so relevant.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

Yes......you posted it so you must have had a point to make...

Is there's something to be investigated then it is the public's best interest to hav it brought to them.

I posted it because I know that many around here had a respect for him and i wanted then to see how useless and jaded he really was. If you are watching his work as a souce of fiction, then fine. If you are watching it as a source of truth or reality, wake up. As for his new movie, I will never watch it and I still have not read the article, nor will I read it.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

if you couldn't care less, why did you post? i usually don't add to or read in fact, things that i couldn't care less about. i believe there is another thread floating around for bemoaning michael moore.

Got your PM and I cannot reply as your name is one letter too long for vBulletin. Perhaps you should remove that one space in your name?

Anyhow the reply was to be:

"Sorry if I am a bit off. I apologize for snapping at you.

Noah"

So there is your reply. I would have done it privately, but hey, what the heck.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    NoahJ, one doesn't need to be asleep to beleive in Michael Moore's production, they simply need to be interested in seeking truth.

The truth presented by Moore has its un-documentary like problem but Moore, with all his manipulations of viewers, brings forth relevant issues.

What I took away from his movie is the "fear epidemic" in the US where media is always warning about something and pronouncing that small issues are "something to be on guard for".

He also presented gun access problems a la Columbine and gun culture issues which need to be more thoroughly examined but still exist.

Quote:

As for his new movie, I will never watch it and I still have not read the article, nor will I read it.

Well then you're not much use in talking about it then are you?

You have no first hand information so why bother saying:

Quote:

If you are watching it as a source of truth or reality, wake up.

You need to experience the film or read the transcript or something...you're in no position to support or diss it, OR Michael Moore for that matter.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, either this banter needs to go on in PMs, or someone needs to change the thread title to something like "why NoahJ is bored, yet wants to post about Michael Moore"... 'cause that's what's going on here.

anyway, i don't know what to think about michael moore. he approached the oscars as the "nothing to lose" commentary guy. if anyone was going to say something about the war, it would be him. lots of people already hate the guy, so why not? get it over with, and let the tension over the anticipation for the "one big anti-war speech" of the evening die down. heck, steve martin is my hero for having a great comback to ease the crowd off that edge and his speech.

i like bowling for columbine, but i didn't buy everything he said, either.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

The truth presented by Moore has its un-documentary like problem but Moore, with all his manipulations of viewers, brings forth relevant issues.

if you have to lie to bring forth these issues, maybe you're doing something wrong....
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Not necessarily. Moore is making up some connections thats for sure, but the problems inspiring him to do what he is doing underlie these.

Regardless of that, the issues exist whether there is a crackpot characterising people who hold that the issues exist or not.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If it is not billed as a documentary, I have no qualms about it. If it speculates and proclaims itself a documentary, well then we have a problem.

Everyone runs around here screaming about facts, but no one who does would seem to know one if it bit them on the nose. I've never seen anyone who says such obnoxious things like, "Hussein is a better alternative than an imposed democracy. Fact." or "Bush is doing this purely on the behalf of Iraqis. Fact." have any idea what a fact is. I wish those who proclaim their point of view as fact to hand in their birth certificate because they weren't born with a brain.

"Fact."
  • Reply 19 of 43
    I love how much Michael Moore gets under the skin of some people, he even seems to bug Democrats (which, speaking as a european, is no bad thing).

The articles posted 'exposing' his fabrications have been some of the worst shit (there is simply no other word for it) I have seen posted in these forums.

The one calling his excercising of the right to free speech 'unamerican' was the only one worse than the simple-minded 'expose' of the editing process of documentaries.

He's fat, he's ugly, he's rich and succesful, he makes people laugh and he makes them think, he appeals to the man in the street, and he's not about to shut up about what he thinks is important.

Long may it continue.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

He's fat, he's ugly, he's rich and succesful, he makes people laugh and he makes them think, he appeals to the man in the street, and he's not about to shut up about what he thinks is important.

my god, he really is the Rush of the left. he lies like him too. i can't stand either one of them.

now all we need are some Rush "documentaries" exposing make belief realities.

yeah, that's impressive and thought provoking.