Tim Cook, Eddy Cue exposed to coronavirus at birthday party

Posted:
in General Discussion
Universal Music's CEO, Lucian Grainge, has tested positive for the Coronavirus -- meaning that Tim Cook and Eddy Cue may have been exposed after attending his 60th birthday party.

Apple's Tim Cook and Eddy Cue at Sun Valley 2018 (via Alex Heath/Twitter)
Apple's Tim Cook and Eddy Cue at Sun Valley 2018 (via Alex Heath/Twitter)

Tim Cook and Eddy Cue had attended the CEO's party 16 days ago. Symptoms of COVID-19 can appear anywhere from 14 to 21 days after exposure to the virus. Currently, it is not known if either Cook or Cue have been tested for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.

The party in question was held at La Quinta's Madison Club, which has been shut down in response to the illness, including the clubhouse and golf course.

UMG Santa Monica has also been closed down in response after learning that Grainge tested positive for COVID-19. All staffers had been ordered to leave the building as soon as possible and in an orderly manner. According to a source close to the matter, many of the staff had already begun working from home before the announcement.

An internal memo obtained by Variety confirms the closure.

"Previously, we have committed that if there were to be a confirmed case of coronavirus infection in any of our offices, we would immediately close that location," reads the memo. "We have just been informed that there is a confirmed case of infection in an employee based in our 2220 Colorado Avenue offices. Accordingly and out of an abundance of caution, we are immediately closing all of our Santa Monica offices, and all Santa Monica staff are required to work from home until further notice."

Grainge is currently receiving treatment at Los Angeles' UCLA Medical Center, according to sources close to the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member

Maybe I'm just anti-social

But, I have this non-PC practice.  When I feel sick (ie. hung-over, nauseous, diarrhea, runny nose, headaches, fever or just am not feeling up to my normal level of performance); I DO NOT go to work.  I DO NOT go to parties.  I DO NOT associate with other people, and this means I DO NOT even go to Church.

No, I stay home, rest and isolate myself (except for my poor wife, who is very supportive), and do my best to recover.

I do this quite intentionally - so as to NOT expose other people to whatever I have.  When I am sick, I do not feel social.  Judging from the way people are behaving, I must be a selfish person; because we see idiots who are confirmed with this virus, who intentionally fly on commercial airlines, who go to conventions, and even go to work.

What is wrong with these people?

georgie01netmageMacProkurai_kageAnilu_777DAalsethbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    hodar said:

But, I have this non-PC practice.  When I feel sick (ie. hung-over, nauseous, diarrhea, runny nose, headaches, fever or just am not feeling up to my normal level of performance); I DO NOT go to work.  I DO NOT go to parties.  I DO NOT associate with other people, and this means I DO NOT even go to Church.

No, I stay home, rest and isolate myself (except for my poor wife, who is very supportive), and do my best to recover.

I do this quite intentionally - so as to NOT expose other people to whatever I have.  When I am sick, I do not feel social.  Judging from the way people are behaving, I must be a selfish person; because we see idiots who are confirmed with this virus, who intentionally fly on commercial airlines, who go to conventions, and even go to work.

In all fairness they have been saying you can be a carrier of the virus and not know it. I'm assuming (hoping) this was the case here.
    SpamSandwichretrogustoavon b7muthuk_vanalingamtmayStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Can we please stop feeding the panic by posting news stories about how someone we don’t personally know might possibly have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19?

Our obsession and fear has so far caused more problems than the virus itself.
    razorpitcy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    georgie01 said:
    Can we please stop feeding the panic by posting news stories about how someone we don’t personally know might possibly have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19?

The article relates to Apple. Cook and Cue are important Apple employees.
    netmageretrogustoMacProtmaykurai_kageStrangeDayscharlesatlaspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It might be a safe assumption anyone working in the Apple headquarters could be a carrier. Apple should do the responsible thing and shut down most of the main building, just as they’re doing with the stores. The entire world is coming to a full stop over this thing.
    SoundJudgmentmacplusplus
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ... Symptoms of COVID-19 can appear anywhere from 14 to 21 days after exposure to the virus. ...
    I guess it’s just me, but I found this sentence confusing. The incubation period was thought to be up to 14 days, but symptoms can appear as soon as one day after exposure, and on average appear in five to six days. Has that changed?

Shouldn’t that read: ... Symptoms of COVID-19 can appear anywhere from up to 14 to 21 days after exposure to the virus. ... ?
    macplusplusbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hodar said:

Knowing most people don't have your common sense my wife and I have been self isolating even though healthy for a month now.  Being 70's and retired  it seemed an obvious thing to do from the information that is out there from China and Europe that gave all Americans a head start on avoiding this.  The shops were full back then and we have plenty of supplies.  I will need to look on Amazon for a pony tail band soon though!  We are lucky as we live on the west coast of Florida in a gate guarded community with lots of shady live oaks trees and lakes with miles of walks and cycle tracks so we are keeping fit.
    edited March 2020 TomPMRItmaypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    hodar said:

I agree with you.. I work in a building with around 800 people.  It is ASTONISHING how many people follow almost no germ etiquette. I am talking just normal day to day sickness and bathroom use.. not specifically now with COVID-19.

Unfortunately it looks like even folks with no symptoms are able to spread this more than they originally thought....

"it's become clear that transmission by people who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic is responsible for more transmission than previously thought."

"We now know that asymptomatic transmission likely [plays] an important role in spreading this virus," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.
    Osterholm added that it's "absolutely clear" that asymptomatic infection "surely can fuel a pandemic like this in a way that's going to make it very difficult to control."

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    TrabiTrabi Posts: 2member
    MacPro said:
    hodar said:

Knowing most people don't have your common sense my wife and I have been self isolating even though healthy for a month now.  Being 70's and retired  it seemed an obvious thing to do from the information that is out there from China and Europe that gave all Americans a head start on avoiding this.  The shops were full back then and we have plenty of supplies.  I will need to look on Amazon for a pony tail band soon though!  We are lucky as we live on the west coast of Florida in a gate guarded community with lots of shady live oaks trees and lakes with miles of walks and cycle tracks so we are keeping fit.
    I can only hope Cook & Cue will soon follow your example.
    Better for the business, better for the innovation, better for the customers
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    georgie01 said:

What problems? All of the shutdowns and social distancing protocols are not a problem, they’re part of the effort to flatten the curve and thus not overwhelm our hospitals, since we blew it on early testing and containment. That isn’t fear, that’s just how it works. 

Primer from a czech scientist in quarantine explains it:

https://youtu.be/On1hWBn3Ofg
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    It might be a safe assumption anyone working in the Apple headquarters could be a carrier. Apple should do the responsible thing and shut down most of the main building, just as they’re doing with the stores. The entire world is coming to a full stop over this thing.
    You must have missed the story on AI ten days ago when Apple told all employees who can work from home to do so.

macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Better they got it now during the shut down than later in the year at an important time as everyone will get it at some point. For most it yields very minor or non-existent symptoms and nothing to worry about, especially for someone has athletic as Tim.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    daven said:
    georgie01 said:

The article relates to Apple. Cook and Cue are important Apple employees.

I don't think Eddie Cue is all that important to Apple.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ... Symptoms of COVID-19 can appear anywhere from 14 to 21 days after exposure to the virus. ...
    I guess it’s just me, but I found this sentence confusing. The incubation period was thought to be up to 14 days, but symptoms can appear as soon as one day after exposure, and on average appear in five to six days. Has that changed?

Shouldn’t that read: ... Symptoms of COVID-19 can appear anywhere from up to 14 to 21 days after exposure to the virus. ... ?
    My understanding is symptoms can appear between 2-14 days after exposure. The virus (in controlled lab conditions) can live on a variety of surfaces for hours or days after its expelled. As for the duration of the virus once it’s contracted, that I don’t know. I suppose that’s entirely dependent on the risk level of the carrier.