iOS 14 code suggests 'iPhone SE 2' may be joined by larger 'Plus' model

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
Apple's long-rumored remake of the "iPhone SE 2" may not be limited to just one size, with code buried inside iOS 14 allegedly confirming a "Plus" model for the entry-level smartphone is on the way.

iPhone SE
iPhone SE

Thought to be named either the "iPhone SE 2" or the "iPhone 9," the pint-sized smartphone has been previously speculated to launch in early 2020. A reworking of the original iPhone SE, the second-generation model is believed to retain many of the core concepts as its predecessor, including providing a high-quality experience at a lower price point.

In a continuation of supposed code leaks from iOS 14, Apple is now thought to be preparing two models of "iPhone SE 2." The previously-rumored 4.7-inch model will, according to 9to5Mac, include a version with a larger display while maintaining the same specifications list.

Mimicking the naming convention of models from the iPhone 8 generation and earlier, the new supposed model is also speculated to use the "Plus" suffix, rather than using the "Max" variant name that has been in use since the release of the iPhone XS Max.

Aside from the size, the models are also believed to use the A13 Bionic chip, as used in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, along with the use of a solid-state Home button with Touch ID rather than employing Face ID. By using a solid-state Home button, this reduces the number of moving parts and instead relies on haptic feedback from the Taptic Engine to provide acknowledgment clicks.

The models will also include support for Apple Pay and the Express Transit function, and is even touted to have the capability to scan NFC tags.

Earlier speculation had Apple on track to introduce the "iPhone SE 2" in March, despite the issues presented by the coronavirus outbreak. In March, it was suggested shipments for PCBs used by the models were deferred into the second quarter, a possible sign that the launch will be delayed due to COVID-19, though conflicting reports also point to the model entering its final production stages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    If true, Apple is on crack. The whole point of the SE model is that it's a compact and capable one-handed device. A larger version defeats that.
    KingPacificmattinozjust cruisinDogpersonbaconstangcaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    If true, Apple is on crack. The whole point of the SE model is that it's a compact and capable one-handed device. A larger version defeats that.
    no, the point is to keep the supply chain on the old line going for a couple more years to fill in the price umbrella

I say that sadly, as a huge fan of pocket-sized phones
    Solisphericfastasleepmattinozeriamjh
  • Reply 3 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't see a problem with releasing 2 different sized models. 

If there are two different sized models, then people can choose to get whichever one suits them best.

Those who want the smaller sized version will go for that and those who want a larger version will go for that. 

Many people like the original SE because of the tiny size, me included, but the SE was also budget priced, and making a larger sized SE model will appeal to certain people, who perhaps don't want to spend or can't afford the price tag of a top of the line premium iPhone.

Choice is good.
    edited March 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Thus defeating the purpose ..... SE..... the compact IPhone 

this is like when Honda created the civic and it’s just kept growing and growing and growing until it became a sedan ..... missing the point 
    just cruisinbaconstangcaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 26
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ... the pint-sized smartphone has been previously speculated to launch in early 2020. A reworking of the original iPhone SE, the second-generation model is believed to retain many of the core concepts as its predecessor, including providing a high-quality experience at a lower price point. 
    Did I fall behind on my SE rumors? I didn't think one of those retained metrics was the pint-sized nature.

Well, not really. If they do intend it to be the 'budget' phone, rather than the smaller model, then having a 'budget' regular and plus version makes sense. I don't think they seem to care about we form-factor types (at least from the rumors).

I'm hoping the rumors are wrong, and Apple will make a phone for us. But, I won't hold my breath.

Eric_WVGG said:
    no, the point is to keep the supply chain on the old line going for a couple more years to fill in the price umbrella
    But they already sell iPhone 8 (and rather recently, 7). I suppose those now need updated chips to compete, even at low prices?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

If the stated 4.7" screen size is true, it would be significantly smaller than anything using the latest A13 chip.

• Reply 7 of 26
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    Nooooo it should be the iPhone SE 2 - !
    cgWerks
  • Reply 8 of 26
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    mike1 said:
    If the stated 4.7" screen size is true, it would be significantly smaller than anything using the latest A13 chip.

I'm not sure how they'd get a 4.7" screen and Touch ID into a phone too small. Something isn't adding up. I was just thinking that along with liking Touch ID, I like that my SE has the bottom bezel area, as I often grab it by that (thumb on top, index finger behind) w/o having to worry about the touch-screen. I don't think I want a bezel-less phone.
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I didn't come up with this, I've seen it before, but I do think that Apple should call it the iPhone SEX.

I still like my SE and it's still my main phone.
    baconstangcgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Thus defeating the purpose ..... SE..... the compact IPhone 

this is like when Honda created the civic and it’s just kept growing and growing and growing until it became a sedan ..... missing the point 

Is the SE about size or low price? If they offer two sizes @ say $399.00 & $499.00 they could make a killing.  SE was low priced because of using a previous models design.. if you recall it had the same A9 and 12MP camera as the 6s. They didn't skimp on internals to get to that low price point..  just a thought...
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    If true, Apple is on crack. If the whole point of the SE model is that it's a compact and capable one-handed device. A larger version defeats that.
    You forget the "If" before the second sentence. I'm not discounting the appeal of a one-handed phone, but I believe the "SE" is all about providing a modern (from an iOS and app compatibility standpoint) Apple device that that has very good performance at a lower cost. The $399 price is a good benchmark that can obliterate a lot of the the cost barrier that leads some poor souls to go with mid-range Android devices when they'd be better off with an iPhone.

If Apple was really intentional about building a smaller form factor phone it could certainly build a premium one that does not compromise anything performance wise to its larger siblings. Of course this would likely command a premium price to offset the engineering and manufacturing challenges of putting so much into such a small package.   
  • Reply 12 of 26
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    apple ][ said:
    I didn't come up with this, I've seen it before, but I do think that Apple should call it the iPhone SEX.

Name has already been taken, kinda. With early Marc’s, there were models like, Mac C and Mac F. Then there were the updated machines, Mac Cx and Fx. Then there was the Mac SE. The update to that was the Mac SEx. No, it got named the Mac SE 30, named after the 030 chip in the machine.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    imagladry said:
    apple ][ said:

Name has already been taken, kinda. With early Marc’s, there were models like, Mac C and Mac F. Then there were the updated machines, Mac Cx and Fx. Then there was the Mac SE. The update to that was the Mac SEx. No, it got named the Mac SE 30, named after the 030 chip in the machine.
    I actually have one of those sitting around in a closet somewhere, an SE 30. Its in pristine condition. I havent turned it on in a long time, perhaps I will soon one day.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    If indeed there is a large model who cares just buy the smaller version different strokes for different folks.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    imagladry said:
    apple ][ said:

Except there was no Mac C or Mac F models (at least so named).   There was the original Mac and variations, Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac II, Mac II Ci, Mac II Cx, Mac IIx, Mac IIfx, Mac IIsi, Mac IIvx, etc.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_models_by_case_type
    edited March 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    imagladry said:
    apple ][ said:

There was no Mac C or Mac F. There was a Macintosh II, superseded by the IIx and then IIfx. There was also a  IIcx that was superseded by the IIci, and the IIvx followed by the IIvi.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    apple ][ said:
    imagladry said:
    apple ][ said:

I actually have one of those sitting around in a closet somewhere, an SE 30. Its in pristine condition. I havent turned it on in a long time, perhaps I will soon one day.
    That’s cool, I’d love to see one of those old machines running in person. Supposedly my mother in law has an original Mac tucked away somewhere, but I haven’t seen it yet. 
  • Reply 18 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    If there’s going to be a Plus Model, then the iPhone SE model does not exist for people who like small phones.  It’s for people who like small prices.  

Or companies that need security and performance with a Smaller price. 
    baconstangdewme
  • Reply 19 of 26
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    eriamjh said:
    If there’s going to be a Plus Model, then the iPhone SE model does not exist for people who like small phones.  It’s for people who like small prices.  

Or companies that need security and performance with a Smaller price. 

It's allowed to be both cheap and small but to be an SE in sprit it should at least be small to start with.
    I think having 2 sizes helps cement the model in the lineup.
    If they can make smaller than the current 6,7,8 in both sizes with a screen size close to what those devices have it could be a winner in many markets. for many reasons. Even supplant the iPodTouch.

If they move to Touch ID under glass and solid state like the 8 they have buckets of room to make more compact device with the same screen sizes.
    baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 26
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    This is not the iPhone SE2 but the iPhone 9 & Plus replacing the iPhone 8 and 8 Max. If Apple should ever replace the iPhone SE it should have the same dimensions as the iPhone SE with a larger screen and Touch-ID on the same spot as the power button or under the screen period. 
    cgWerks