Apple A14 in 'iPhone 12' said to be as fast as the iPad Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    rob53 said:
    tht said:
    rob53 said:
    I keep seeing people complaining about the single core speed because “most apps only use a single core” so is there any way Apple could come up with a 4-5Ghz  CPU? 
    You mean "comparing" not complaining?
    No, I meant complaining. “They” say multi core isn’t as important as single core speed. 
    "They" are correct -- until you do something that benefits from multi-core (and/or run pro-level apps). Then "they" are completely wrong. It's certainly true that at present, most non-game apps rely mostly on one core, but once you start really using your computer for serious purposes (not like Office or anything, but more like Photoshop), you really benefit from multi-core. For my work, the two scores are equally important.
    MacMadalionFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    rob53 said:
    What about GPU performance? Is it good enough for an ARM Mac?
    Here are Geekbench 5 GPU Metal compute scores for various Apple devices:

GB5 Metal
    GPU                   Compute    Machine
    --------------        --------   -------
    Apple A9  GPU         2198       iPhone 6
    Apple A10 GPU         2754       iPhone 7
    Apple A11 GPU         3152       iPhone 8
    Intel UHD 617         3175       2018 MBA
    Apple A9X GPU         3713       2015 iPad Pro
    Intel UHD 630         3830       2018 Mac mini
    Apple A12 GPU         4445       iPhone XS, iPad 10.2
    Intel Iris Plus 640   5088       2017 iMac 21.5
    Intel Iris Plus 645   5544       2019 MBP13 (2 TB3)
    Intel Iris Plus 655   5867       2019 MBP13 (4 TB3)
    Apple A13 GPU         6154       iPhone 11
    Apple A10X GPU        6412       2017 iPad Pro
    Apple "A14"           8259       "iPhone 12"
    Apple A12X GPU        9040       2018 iPad Pro
    Apple "A13X" est.     12000
    Radeon Pro 555X       13368      2019 iMac 4K
    Apple "A14X" est.     16000
    Radeon Pro 560X       17207      2019 iMac 4K
    Radeon Pro 5300M      24092      2019 MBP16
    Radeon Pro Vega 20    24219      2019 iMac 4K
    Radeon Pro 5500M      28276      2019 MBP16
    Radeon Pro 570X       29289      2019 iMac 5K
    Radeon Pro 575X       33997      2019 iMac 5K
    Radeon Pro 580X       41807      2019 iMac 5K, Mac Pro
    Radeon Pro Vega 48    48898      2019 iMac 5K
    Radeon Pro Vega 56    63449      2017 iMac Pro
    Radeon Pro Vega 64    66399      2017 iMac Pro
    Radeon Pro Vega 64X   73966      2017 iMac Pro
    Radeon Pro Vega II    97659      2019 Mac Pro

You should note that the 2018 iPad Pro (A12X) has a faster Metal compute score than all of Apple's Macs except for the big desktops, including the 4 TB3 port MacBook Pro 13" model. So yes, this supposed A14 can power a clamshell laptop quite well if given a 15 to 28 W power envelope. The A12X could of have done that in 2018.

hydrogenGabyMacMadalionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    That begs the question... If the next generation iPhone is as fast as the current iPad Peo, how fast will the next generation iPad Pro be?
    MacMadalionMacPro
  • Reply 24 of 50

Just a little conjecture math for those interested.

I took the Multicore score from the assumed A14, 4612.  I made the assumption that the larger cores, 2 of them, made up about 2/3s for the Multicore score.  And the four small cores together made up 1/3 of the Multicore score.  So a reasonable large core score is 1524 after loosing the Multicore penalty.  So an eight core desktop should have a score of around 12192.  Add in PCIe 4.0 x 36 lanes.

PCIe  4.0 16 lanes to the AMD graphics card

PCIe 4.0 4 lanes to the x 2 for two NVMe ports

PCIe 4.0 4 lanes to the bridge chip for 2 x SATA Ver 3.1, 4 x USB 3.1 (Bluetooth, keyboard, trackpad/mouse, wideband communications, Wi-Fi)

PCIe 4.0 4 lanes to the 2 x Thunderbolt interfaces

for the laptop version you can leave out 8 lanes.

Four Memory slots two channel iMac, iMacBook, Mini and eight memory slots four channel Pro versions.

Pro expansion cabinet will need dual central core (or 16 large cores), 8 x PCIe 16 lane slots in addition and the eight lanes for NVMe would go to an eight port encrypted NVMe RAID.  ---------- Ok so maybe I did get a little dreamy on this line, but it will cost somewhere North of $55,000.00 comfortably configured.

So very doable across the line for this year.

• Reply 25 of 50
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The upcoming lightening fast processors combined with Gb wireless speeds will be creating a great vacuum for software to rise up and fill.   Currently hardware seems to be racing far ahead of software.  But that's a familiar cycle and we know from experience that it won't last forever.  The question is:   How will software evolve to fill that void?
    MetriacanthosaurusMacMadalion
  • Reply 26 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rob53 said:
    I keep seeing people complaining about the single core speed because “most apps only use a single core” so is there any way Apple could come up with a 4-5Ghz  CPU? 

How much does it cost Apple to add more cores? Could they add a second CPU chip to do this? How difficult or easy will it be to add PCIe and various I/O to their ARM bus? How close is the A-series architecture to what Apple would need for an ARM Mac?

Most apps are in fact multithreAded.  
  • Reply 27 of 50
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Fatman said:
    Very cool that it ranks on par with iPad Pro, but a more relevant comparison would be to the current iPhone generation A13 processor. Irregardless that single core score is incredible, and should not be understated.

Why is Apple A12X Bionic better than Apple A13 Bionic?

• 30.88% faster CPU speed
      4 x 2.49GHz & 4 x 1.6GHzvs2 x 2.65 & 4 x 1.8GHz
    • 1500million more transistors?
      10000 millionvs8500 million

Interesting....

edited March 2020
  • Reply 28 of 50
    The upcoming lightening fast processors combined with Gb wireless speeds will be creating a great vacuum for software to rise up and fill.   Currently hardware seems to be racing far ahead of software.  But that's a familiar cycle and we know from experience that it won't last forever.  The question is:   How will software evolve to fill that void?
    In the desktop space, we can always put more power to use. Always. Mobile has yet to use even a fraction of the hardware already out there. Mobile still isn't even utilizing the hardware that was out there 3 years ago.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 50
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    We already know that Apple has achieved impressive performance from the A Series chips.  I’m curious to see an Apple discrete GPU in action.
    MacMadalion
  • Reply 30 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Despite other chip and node changes, it looks like Apple may be increasing the RAM in the next iPhone release. Is that a bottleneck right now?
  • Reply 31 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My iPad Pro 12.9” is now one year and five months old. When the A14 is out, in September, unless the phones are delayed due to the virus, it will be a full two generations behind the A14. Usually, the newest phone SoC is as fast as the last chip for the ipad, so it’s real,y not a big deal that this one is. But this one is two generations newer, so really, it’s not a big deal at all. It should be faster. The A13 should have equaled the A12x.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    daven said:
    That begs the question... If the next generation iPhone is as fast as the current iPad Peo, how fast will the next generation iPad Pro be?
    It'll depend on which SoC core they will use as the "base". Whether it is an A13X or an A14X will depend a lot on product timing. If it is this Spring, they could use the A13 and extend it to an A13X. They typically increase the clock rate of the CPU by 10%, add 1 or 2 CPU clusters (1 big performance core and 2 efficiency cores), double the GPU performance and double the memory bandwidth, and add more RAM.

So, if you multiple the A14 CPU single core score by 1.1x, the multicore score by 1.5x, and the GPU compute score by 2x, it would be a decent estimate for an A14X. If so, it would be about equivalent to an 8 core 45W processor in a MBP15 or MBP16 with a GPU equivalent to a Vega 13. They really need to port Xcode, FCPX and LPX to it if so.

My 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 is still really great, basically faster than the 2018 MBA in CPU and GPU. What it really needs is 8 GB of RAM, and it'll work great for another 3 to 5 years. The current 4 GB is pretty tight for having multiple apps open at the same time, so, I plan on waterfalling it to one of the kiddos, and get a 2020 iPad Pro model, assuming that it will have 8 GB of RAM.

The biggest number I'm looking for is 8 GB of RAM. Really wish Apple would offer RAM upgrade options of 8 GB, 16 GB, and maybe even 32 GB for the iPad Pro models. And, have a switch to turn the VM paging system on.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tht said:
    daven said:
    The biggest number I'm looking for is 8 GB of RAM. Really wish Apple would offer RAM upgrade options of 8 GB, 16 GB, and maybe even 32 GB for the iPad Pro models. And, have a switch to turn the VM paging system on.
    Apple's been doing the Good/Better/Best model based on capacity since near their inception (Better/Best for the initial release of the original iPhone) but I can see a path for Apple eventually making the SoC a little different as capacity costs get lower and sizes get excessive for many people. I still don't see it happening anytime soon, but at least now I can see a potential path albeit a very slim one.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Soli said:
    tht said:
    daven said:
    Apple's been doing the Good/Better/Best model based on capacity since near their inception (Better/Best for the initial release of the original iPhone) but I can see a path for Apple eventually making the SoC a little different as capacity costs get lower and sizes get excessive for many people. I still don't see it happening anytime soon, but at least now I can see a potential path albeit a very slim one.
    It looks like they are finally going down the path of treating the iPad as a general purpose computer if all the rumored keyboard and pointer functionality is going to come to pass. If so, RAM upgrades are inevitable. You really can't run a lot of the complicated apps in less than 8 GB, especially at the same time. If Apple is really serious about making Photoshop productive on the iPad, they'll really need 8 GB and 16 GB RAM tiers at least. Same thing for Xcode, FCPX, any AR creation app. Heck, if they are going to allow Chrome as a default web browser, I can see Google loading the app up to be the RAM and CPU hog that its desktop version is.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your comment, take a minute and re-review the commenting guidelines. A few of you are on very thin ice.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    daven said:

Ludicrous Speed.
    FileMakerFellerseanismorris
  • Reply 37 of 50
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Do these processors support virtual memory?  Seems like another prerequisite for Mac use that isn't part of iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    I'm very much looking forward to the next gen ipad pro 12.9". My 2nd gen ipad pro 12.9 is starting to slowly give up the ghost (stage lighting left side, wifi dying, touch issues). The A14 looks like it could be a monster upgrade. If they offered a 14" or 15" that would be even better.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    tht said:
    My 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 is still really great, basically faster than the 2018 MBA in CPU and GPU. What it really needs is 8 GB of RAM, and it'll work great for another 3 to 5 years. The current 4 GB is pretty tight for having multiple apps open at the same time, so, I plan on waterfalling it to one of the kiddos, and get a 2020 iPad Pro model, assuming that it will have 8 GB of RAM.
    Due to LPDDR5's 16bit data bus Apple will have to use at least eight 8Gbit dies if they want to keep that 128bit memory interface in the next X-SoC.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    A lot of speculation here for what looks like a pretty sketchy rumour.