HomeKit Secure Video support rolls out for Anker eufyCam 2 [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited March 2020
Anker is now rolling out a firmware update to its eufyCam 2 security cameras bringing support for HomeKit Secure Video, after only starting with basic support for HomeKit after an update in January 2020.

Anker's eufyCam 2 now supports HomeKit Secure Video
Anker's eufyCam 2 now supports HomeKit Secure Video

EufyCam 2 is an IP67 weather resistant 1080p wire-free security system that boasts its night vision and subscription-free design. It launched in 2019 sans-HomeKit before receiving support in January with a promise of HomeKit Secure Video to follow.

HomeKit Secure Video landed as part of iOS 13.2. HomeKit Secure Video provides many benefits over standard HomeKit support. HomeKit will allow you to view the cameras in the Home app, access via Siri, and receive motion alerts but HomeKit Secure Video allows saving camera recordings in iCloud as well as intelligent object detection.

With this firmware update, Anker joins the few existing devices to support HomeKit Secure Video including the Netatmo Smart Indoor Camera that was recently updated and the Logitech Circle 2 -- the first camera to receive support.

For those interested, the eufyCam 2 is currently available on Amazon as a two-pack with the hub for $349.

Update: Anker pushed out the eufyCam 2 HomeKit Secure Video update to some users "by mistake," according to iMore's Christopher Close. The feature is reportedly in the certification phase and should make a public debut soon.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Is this rollout over weeks or is it out now 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Is that HomeKit firmware update out now? The eufylife website still shows "*Apple HomeKit will be available via later update."

HK is important to me if only because I want to be able to do at least basic operation from one app to rule them all.

• Reply 3 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Anyone have an idea of when the Eve Cam is supposed to ship? That's the one I'm most curious about.

https://www.evehome.com/en/eve-cam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    It still irks me a little that HomeKit is solely a software thing now rather than requiring a hardware component, but alas, what’s the alternative...

I’ll definitely be picking up one of these HK ready systems in the near future to use instead of the Q-cam system I foolishly bought a couple years ago. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cornchip said:
    It still irks me a little that HomeKit is solely a software thing now rather than requiring a hardware component, but alas, what’s the alternative...
    What do you mean? You need at least one iOS device or Mac to use HomeKit, obviously. What's the missing piece here?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Oh look, they added HomeKit to Eufycam 2, despite the fact they promised Homekit to the original Eufycam when they funded it on Kickstarter and sent them out in December 2018.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    For the commenters above: AI has published an update to the story. It's actually coming soon, but not really here yet. Stay tuned.