Apple unveils new iPad Pro with 3D scanner, trackpad support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple has unveiled an update to the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, both of which now feature a dual-camera system, full trackpad support, a LiDAR scanner for Augmented Reality, and an updated processor.

The new 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
The new 2020 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard

Apple has revamped its flagship iPad Pro models and given them a dual-camera system that includes a 10 megapixel ultra-wide and 12 megapixel wide lens. Previously the iPad Pro featured only a single 12-megapixel camera on the rear, so this adds widescreen and zoom to the range. The new update also adds a LiDAR Scanner, which is used for depth sensing and so helps facilitate Augmented Reality work.

Running the newly updated iPadOS 13.4, the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models now fully support trackpads and one is included the new Magic Keyboard for iPad. The separate keyboard is backlit, and attaches magnetically with a cantilever that lets the iPad Pro float above the keys.

"The new iPad Pro introduces advanced technologies never before available in mobile computing," Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, said in a press release. "Combining the most advanced mobile display with powerful performance, pro cameras, pro audio, the breakthrough LiDAR Scanner and new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, this is another huge leap forward for iPad. There's no other device in the world like the new iPad Pro and we think our customers are going to love it."

The new 2020 iPad Pro (left) and as mounted in the new Magic Keyboard (right)
The new 2020 iPad Pro (left) and as mounted in the new Magic Keyboard (right)

"We're making iPad even more capable and versatile by bringing trackpad support to iPadOS," added Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "We carefully considered the best way to integrate trackpad use into a touch-first environment while retaining everything our customers know and love about iPad. We're thrilled to bring this new way of interacting with iPad to the millions of people using iPadOS today."

This is the first hardware update to the iPad Pro models since they were introduced in 2018. It's the longest gap between updates, with 2019 being the only year to not see a new model since the original in 2015. And it means that this is the first new iPad Pro model since Apple span off iOS into its new, dedicated iPad OS variant.

While not as radical an upgrade as the previous model -- which introduced USB-C, Face ID and storage up to 1TB -- the 2020 iPad Pro is a notable update in specifications, utilizing Apple's new A12Z Bionic chip.

Aside from the camera system, however, it's not as marked an update as the 2018 models were over their predecessors. Consequently, whether it's enough to attract many people who bought those previous models is uncertain, though, and especially since future ones are expected to introduce that 5G connectivity in 2021.

The 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is from $999. Pre-orders start on Wednesday and the devices will be available starting March 24. The required iPadOS 13.4 will be available on the same day.

The new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro won't be available until May, however. It will cost $299 for the model made for the 11-inch iPad Pro, and $349 for the 12.9-inch edition.
wongrsf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    So, time to upgrade from my version 1 iPad then...
    GeorgeBMacrazorpitharry wilddaventoysandmekurai_kageargonautSpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 124
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Meh. This refresh appears very minor, at best. 
    harry wilddavgreg
  • Reply 3 of 124
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I’ve come to terms with the price of the iPad Pro given how awesome it is, but goddamn, those are some expensive ass keyboards.
    entropysrazorpitdysamoriadavgregtoysandmeStrangeDaysAdambombzoetmbrosse59argonaut
  • Reply 4 of 124
    Hurrah for new keyboard will be getting as soon as they are available. Major improvement. 
    toysandmeBeatsdocno42jmgregory1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 124
    Nice update but what others have said about the keyboard price.
    razorpitdysamoriadavgregtoysandmejmgregory1Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 124
    I was waiting on this update, but now, after seeing how much the want to gut me on the price on those keyboards, no thanks... You can go F-Yourself Apple. I’m getting really tired of your greediness.
    dysamoriatoysandmeBeatsargonautdavgreg
  • Reply 7 of 124
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    seankill said:
    Meh. This refresh appears very minor, at best. 
    Not for those who use a physical keyboard with their iPad. And the cursor support they added looks nice. Almost like the focus engine from Apple TV.
    BeatsStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 124
    I ordered it mostly because I'm quarantined and I've been waiting since the 2018 model launched. Realistically I should have bought one of those to replace my aging 9.7 inch Pro, but my job situation was hazy back then so I held off hoping to upgrade last fall. But then nothing came out last fall. I'm hoping these have more RAM than the previous models and I'm hoping the A12Z is beefier than the A12X. I just wish they had some comparisons to show how much of an internal upgrade it is. I really couldn't give a damn about the camera or the lidar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Hurrah for new keyboard will be getting as soon as they are available. Major improvement. 

Yeh, but $300 - $350 for a keyboard and trackpad?   And it's not even wireless (Although Apple's mounting system looks really spiffy and, in typical Apple fashion, may make the whole greater than the sum of its parts).

I think the iPad just became an adult.
    baconstangcanukstormneo-techchemengin1jony0Carnage
  • Reply 10 of 124
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    So much for that rumored hand-writing recognition. 
  • Reply 11 of 124
    I’m very curious about that keyboard. It looks flimsy, but if it holds your iPad at any angle suspended as shown then it must have some kind of engineering in the “hinge”.

Also very interested in the A12Z and what they’ve done (from 7-8 core GPU and better thermals). A12X was the fastest chip around already, so how much faster is this?
    razorpittoysandmeBeatsStrangeDaysbloggerblogCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 124
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Looks like most people find the new keyboard way to pricy, I guess a third party hardware company will produce one for less money, or will Apple prevent that from happening? One tells me Apple is swing it's monopoly stick the other embraces competition. 
  • Reply 13 of 124
    No mention if the new Trackpad keyboard is compatible with previous 11" and 12.9" iP Pro's. Dimensions of the new iPad Pro's look the same. Will trackpad function be a software (iOS 13.4) update away? Apple's $300-350 price tag for a keyboard is ridiculous but what's stopping other manufactures from incorporating a trackpad in their new offerings for a lot less? 

Edit: Just saw on another source: "This will obviously be a big selling point for the 2020 iPad Pro announced today, but the new Magic Keyboard with trackpad accessory is also backwards compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro. You can also connect an external Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse over Bluetooth, allowing iPad Air, iPad mini and even $329 iPad users to take advantage of the new cursor support in the OS."
    edited March 2020 razorpitdysamoriathtdaventoysandmehcrefugeeGG1MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 124
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I hope the new keyboard is more reliable/durable than the original.  I have one of those with the original iPad Pros, and have been having lots of problems with it over the past 6 months or so.  Frequently gives me a message that “This accessory is not supported by this device,” doesn’t work, or just keeps beeping until I disconnect it. 
    razorpittoysandme
  • Reply 15 of 124
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    davgregCarnage
  • Reply 16 of 124
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    razorpitdysamoriadavenmbenz1962GG1randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 124
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I ordered it mostly because I'm quarantined and I've been waiting since the 2018 model launched. Realistically I should have bought one of those to replace my aging 9.7 inch Pro, but my job situation was hazy back then so I held off hoping to upgrade last fall. But then nothing came out last fall. I'm hoping these have more RAM than the previous models and I'm hoping the A12Z is beefier than the A12X. I just wish they had some comparisons to show how much of an internal upgrade it is. I really couldn't give a damn about the camera or the lidar.
    Get a 2018 on one of those blowout sales. That's what I did when I got my 2017. Still works great and use it every day.
    mac voyer said:
    So much for that rumored hand-writing recognition. 
    Let's see what iOS 14 has to offer.Wood1030 said:
    No mention if the new Trackpad keyboard is compatible with previous 11" and 12.9" iP Pro's. Dimensions of the new iPad Pro's look the same. Will trackpad function be a software (iOS 13.4) update away? Apple's $300-350 price tag for a keyboard is ridiculous but what's stopping other manufactures from incorporating a trackpad in their new offerings for a lot less? 

Edit: Just saw on another source: "This will obviously be a big selling point for the 2020 iPad Pro announced today, but the new Magic Keyboard with trackpad accessory is also backwards compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro. You can also connect an external Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse over Bluetooth, allowing iPad Air, iPad mini and even $329 iPad users to take advantage of the new cursor support in the OS."
    Smart move by Apple. I'm sure they'll sell a ton of those keyboards to people who have older models but aren't willing to upgrade and iPad as well.
    Wood1030davenMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 124
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    Introduce what? I don't understand what your point is. There is a keyboard/mouse for vertical use. Touch for horizontal.rob53 said:
    The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    I hope. The 3D printer market is about to explode if that's the case.
    Beatsretrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 124
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    razorpit said:
    Smart move by Apple. I'm sure they'll sell a ton of those keyboards to people who have older models but aren't willing to upgrade and iPad as well.
    They are going to sell one to me because even at $350, it will make my current iPad Pro feel like a new one at a fraction of the cost. I suspect I am not the only person who will justify it that way. :)
    davensvanstromGG1BeatsMetriacanthosaurusMisterKitdocno42GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 124
    f1turbo said:
    I hope the new keyboard is more reliable/durable than the original.  I have one of those with the original iPad Pros, and have been having lots of problems with it over the past 6 months or so.  Frequently gives me a message that “This accessory is not supported by this device,” doesn’t work, or just keeps beeping until I disconnect it. 
    I have also been having the same problem for quite sometime. One of the things that I’ve noticed that helps is to shut down all open windows and hook it up to a power supply. This doesn’t work all the time but it does provide a greater success rate. My thinking on this is that it just can’t keep up. I think this also explains why sometimes the swipe typing doesn’t register what I’m doing or if it does it cannot do words that are longer than 6 letters. But if I give it a moment without any input it starts to work again. I know I’m 4.5 years in and long in the tooth, but for many uses it is still a fantastic machine. 

Regardless, I am also seriously considering upgrading and even though the cost of the keyboard is high if it can be tilted to any angle that it could be with the price. 
    watto_cobra