iPadOS 13.4 is coming March 24, with trackpad support for all iPad Pros

Posted:
in General Discussion
The updated iPadOS 13.4 is to be released on March 24, and will support both Apple's new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, and third-party mice across most recent iPad models.

The new iPadOS 13.4 includes an updated Measure app that takes advantage of the depth-sensing LiDAR scanner
The new iPadOS 13.4 includes an updated Measure app that takes advantage of the depth-sensing LiDAR scanner

Alongside the release of the 2020 iPad Pro models, Apple has announced that an updated iPadOS 13.4 will be available from March 24. The new iPadOS, which will come pre-installed on the new devices, brings the anticipated full support for Bluetooth and USB trackpads or mice.

Previously, trackpads and mice were officially supported only by way of an iPadOS accessibility feature, which had limited functionality. Now dragging a mouse, or dragging across a trackpad, will turn the cursor into a circle which highlights what's dragged over.

How the new trackpad support looks in iPadOS 13.4. (L) dragging over a text box, (Middle) selects it, and (R) dragging on to the next box selects that instead
How the new trackpad support looks in iPadOS 13.4. (L) dragging over a text box, (Middle) selects it, and (R) dragging on to the next box selects that instead

The new iPadOS 13.4 will work with all iPad Pro models, the iPad Air 2 or later, iPad fifth generation or later, and iPad mini 4 or later.

Apple confirms that iPadOS 13.4 works with the Apple Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, and also the forthcoming Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro. It will also support third-party mice that are connected over Bluetooth or USB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Are you sure that v. 13.4 works on all iPad Pro models? It appears that Apple is saying on their webpage that only the last two generations will be supported. I don't want all the bells & whistles in 13.4 but there are some major upgrades in general usage that I'd love to have. It's painful to be left behind!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Are you sure that v. 13.4 works on all iPad Pro models? It appears that Apple is saying on their webpage that only the last two generations will be supported. I don't want all the bells & whistles in 13.4 but there are some major upgrades in general usage that I'd love to have. It's painful to be left behind!
    Apple is clear that it works on all iPad Pros. The new keyboard case is only for the new design iPad Pro models, though.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 3 of 4
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Apple is clear that it works on all iPad Pros. The new keyboard case is only for the new design iPad Pro models, though.
    Yes, the new magic keyboard works on all the newer ipad pro designs:
    • iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd and 4th generation)
    • iPad Pro 11‑inch (1st and 2nd generation)

watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Well that’s good to know. Picked up 12.9 iPad Pro last year and I’m not upgrading till next year so truly good news. 
    watto_cobra