CarPlay and Apple Maps updates spotted in leaked iOS 14 code

Posted:
in iOS
The latest code pulled from an iOS 14 leak shows the ability to set CarPlay wallpapers and see more and improved business details while using Apple Maps.

CarPlay could gain wallpapers using Apple's new wallpaper API in iOS 14
CarPlay could gain wallpapers using Apple's new wallpaper API in iOS 14

Apple Stores do not offer much more information in their Apple Maps section than any other business, but that could change in iOS 14. Genius Bar appointments, "Today at Apple" events, and product trade in availability could become part of the Apple Store sections to provide users a more detailed overview of a local store.

This could also lead to other service providers like Apple authorized resellers or Best Buy gaining more detailed data in their Apple Maps listings as well.

Other business details that could be added to listings include available children discounts, couples seating availability, private room availability, and theater details including IMAX screenings. Such details will add to the Apple Maps experience and further close the information gap between what Apple and Google offer in their apps.

There isn't much to see in the Apple Store listing now, just basic hours and reviews
There isn't much to see in the Apple Store listing now, just basic hours and reviews

Another discovery related to the wallpaper API in iOS 14 lead 9to5Mac to discover a new feature in CarPlay. Users may be able to set custom wallpapers for their CarPlay display using the new apps supporting the API. These wallpapers will be able to switch between light and dark versions as well.

Rumors surrounding Apple's next operating systems continue to abound as we get closer to this years all digital WWDC. Apple isn't done with the current versions yet, asiOS 13.4 is due out on March 24 with all new trackpad support for iPads. Stay with AppleInsider for all the details on these upcoming releases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Something just occurred to me when looking at the first image, does Apple let you switch the location for the CarPlay items if you're driving a car with the driver seat on the right side? I'd hate to have that set up and have to reach all the way to the end of the infotainment system just to hit the Home Button.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Soli said:
    Something just occurred to me when looking at the first image, does Apple let you switch the location for the CarPlay items if you're driving a car with the driver seat on the right side? I'd hate to have that set up and have to reach all the way to the end of the infotainment system just to hit the Home Button.
    Yes, although it is in the Stereo settings rather than in CarPlay itself. I believe it is already pre-set by the vehicle manufacturers in right hand drive countries.

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-change-status-bar-location-between-leftright-side/

Now if only GM would (or could?) offer wireless CarPlay via a software update like Ford has in some models. The plug in option isn't bad, but sometimes you start driving and haven't set it up… and distracted driving penalties (crash!) definitely aren't worth it! 
    edited March 2020 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    OMG! Wallpaper? No way! I can't wait. Wallpaper. Wow. What an improvement! [/sarcasm]
  • Reply 4 of 15
    techno said:
    OMG! Wallpaper? No way! I can't wait. Wallpaper. Wow. What an improvement! [/sarcasm]
    It doesn't mean much to me but some people love that. I worked with a girl who got a new Honda Fit a few years ago (i think it was a Fit) and for weeks she was absolutely gushing that she could plug in a USB drive and add a photo to her in-car display to be used as wallpaper. Then we'd get updates from her to what she changed it to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    Soli said:
    Down under it is reoriented. Here it is on a wireless carplay kenwood unit installed on my old Mazda 3 (apologies for the dark garage shot).

Back on subject, the Kenwood head unit has wallpapers. You can load your pictures. I have never used it, as I am always in the multi window screen carplay. I would be more interested in some kind of weather/radar image/map overlay so I could tell if there was hail approaching.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    techno said:
    Well damn, now that you've made your final determination about CarPlay wallpaper I'm definitely not going to give a shit about it [/sarcasm]
    SoliRayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Still waiting for a toggle that turns off music when CarPlay loads. :#

Literally, how many iterations of software and I’m still dealing with this s**t?
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 8 of 15
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    mknelson said:
    Soli said:
    Yes, although it is in the Stereo settings rather than in CarPlay itself. I believe it is already pre-set by the vehicle manufacturers in right hand drive countries.

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-change-status-bar-location-between-leftright-side/

Now if only GM would (or could?) offer wireless CarPlay via a software update like Ford has in some models. The plug in option isn't bad, but sometimes you start driving and haven't set it up… and distracted driving penalties (crash!) definitely aren't worth it! 

I am using "CarPlay2Air" wireless CarPlay adapter. Works perfectly.
  • Reply 9 of 15

Literally, how many iterations of software and I’m still dealing with this s**t?
    What do you mean? I love that CarPlay will play the music on my headphones as I get in the car as well as pass it off to my headphones as soon as I turn it off.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    techno said:
    New bands for your Watch, too!

Seriously, though, I'm tired of apps choosing what color scheme they want, especially at night.  I want red based apps to go with my car's lighting at night, so at least I have a chance of my retinas not being overwhelmed.
  • Reply 11 of 15

Have you tried creating a Shortcut? Maybe do a personal automation like uses “When CarPlay connects...” and then for the action use “pause/play music” and set it to pause. I don’t know if it will work, but it’s worth a shot and will take maybe 3 minutes to create and test. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Soli said:

What do you mean? I love that CarPlay will play the music on my headphones as I get in the car as well as pass it off to my headphones as soon as I turn it off.

That would be great if I wore headphones while driving.

I don't

Have you tried creating a Shortcut? Maybe do a personal automation like uses “When CarPlay connects...” and then for the action use “pause/play music” and set it to pause. I don’t know if it will work, but it’s worth a shot and will take maybe 3 minutes to create and test. 
    Thanks for your suggestion! It's worth a try, though I'm not sure why Apple doesn't just build a kill-switch into their software.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Soli said:

I don't
    I see. I didn't word that well enough for you. I mean that I love that my iPhone will pass the audio between my headphones to my car and back with ease. Maybe it's the U1 chip and/or CarPlay, but it's nice to have it transfer so seamlessly when I'm getting behind the wheel and then walking.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    torstitorsti Posts: 12member
    did somebody say wallpaper. o m g  :D
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Soli said:

I don't

It's worth a try and thank you for your suggestion. Though I'm not the only user who finds this annoying and am at a loss why Apple doesn't write this into the software.