Quad-core Core i5 processor is a big boost for 2020 MacBook Air

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    So far we're seeing disappointing thermal results though.
    Dear Apple we are aware this isn't marketed or intended to be a pro machine.
    Do not tease us with superior internal components (10th gen 10nm CPUs and LPDDR4X RAM) and yet stick with the same bloody fan/heatsink arrangement.

This is ridiculous. Are you trying to avoid product cannibalization? Makes sense sure, no one would buy the 13" pro.

You know who specifically needs 500nits and wider color gamut on a 13" screen? Almost no one. On my mac, I'm a developer 80% of the time, the rest photo/video, general use. I'd love the 500nits and wider color gamut but it's not a deal breaker. What's a deal breaker is that you are not releasing for pros or telling your pro users, "you know what guys? we're sorry we're still shipping 8th gen with the pro models, we're not sure what CPUs to offer you, maybe we should look at ryzen 4000 series CPUs, or should we use same ones as in the Air but with decent cooling? oh yeah we're also still shipping the crappy butterfly keyboard, sorry.. but you know what, we ARE committed to a 14", coming end of Q3!"

Just tell us you're giving us a 14" laptop with the expected performance. This Air laptop is shipping with superior hardware than the Pro, packaged poorly.

• Reply 22 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My sister contacted me yesterday for a computer recommendation for my nephew (who is in college).  I recommended the i5 Air, and told her to avoid the i3.  For $1200 it’s a very capable machine.

The computer department should be able to set up Boot Camp, so he’ll have Windows if needed.  Some schools will do that for free.

With the capability and flexibility of the MacBook Air, it blows the iPad Pro out of the water, and is cheaper.

There should be no need to involve a school's computer department to add a Windows partition -- As long as you have adequate space on the drive bootcamp is quite easy to install and its help even provides a link to download Windows and get the install running.

The only 'tricky' part is getting a Product Code / License for Windows.  I got one from EBay for $10 and it worked perfectly to activate the copy of WIndows that I downloaded.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quite amazing but the A11 Bionic in my iPhone 8 Plus is only very slightly slower than this brand new for 2020 MacBook Air with i5 at Geekbench 5! I wonder how puny the i5 in my 2013 model year MacBook Pro 13” is?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    1983 said:
    Quite amazing but the A11 Bionic in my iPhone 8 Plus is only very slightly slower than this brand new for 2020 MacBook Air with i5 at Geekbench 5! I wonder how puny the i5 in my 2013 model year MacBook Pro 13” is?

For general use I don't think any of them are puny and all three do a pretty good job.  I have zero complaints of how my 11" 2014 MacBook Air performs.