Old-school AI

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

June 1999. Long enough to remeber that every thread related to this topic becomes a celebratory dance for JRC.

It's my only hook to hang my hat on! You gotta give me credit for consistency!
  • Reply 22 of 78
    <crotchity old man>

Why, in my day, we had to walk 10 miles to school everyday... through the snow... uphill... both ways! And we liked it!

</crotchity old man>

I've only been around since sometime in 2001.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    nov 1999 afaicr
  • Reply 24 of 78
    June or July 1999.

I don't recall which. It's been too long.

Ah, the good old days. 8)

A couple months back I actually outfitted SA on the UBB AI with the "classic" dark blue, grey, and purple scheme from the old AI days, complete with all the original graphics. It's too bad those templates got zapped in the vB transition.

Oh, and this probably belongs better in General Discussion. Moving now...
  • Reply 25 of 78
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I logged on right before the Blackout. At the time I joined AI, I recall username, Steve J and his assistant, Watson, was it? The fake posting contest where the winner wins the iBook, the banter of some Marion Jones username that plastered enough picture of Marion Jones to crash AI board...what were some other memoriable moments?

Oh, yeah, everyone on AI, basically all males, were PUSSY-WHIPPED for Kate and what was the other girl's name in which she had a user profile picture of "herself" as a cute long haired blonde posing against a library-like bookshelf. Oh, yes...Miss Tron
  • Reply 26 of 78
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

nov 1999 afaicr

ditto, different nick before the blackout...
  • Reply 27 of 78
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I thought I had been here a while... cos I stopped posting then came back a few weeks ago. But...

Registered 31-10-2002

So I guess I will just keep my n00b ass out of your nostalgia
  • Reply 28 of 78

Anyone remember "MacNN Reality"?
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by King Chung Huang

Anyone remember "MacNN Reality"?

Wow, I have lurked here since MacNN Reality and was lured out to post b/c of this topic. I remember when AI was spun off from the link to click on the left frame from the MacNN front page. As people have mentioned before, that was when AI actually posted rumors on their front page, well before the great rumor crackdown when Jobs took the helm. As for the veracity of their rumors, they were always a step above Macosrumors. That was also when I still used my last Mac, a 7500/100! That was a LONG time ago, I'm hoping if all these 970 rumors come true that I will soon be back on board with Apple. Time will tell.

On a side note:

THT - Always resourceful posts, I remember reading at some point that you own a NSX, no? Maybe that was someone else, between AI, Ars and I-club I can never remember who is who anyway. Regardless, thanks for the insightful posts, between you, Eskimo and a few other posters, this BB has remained a worthwhile read.

Edit: On second thought, was the link to MacNN Reality on the top of the page?
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Holdin it down sincebefore the blackout yo. Fa sho!
  • Reply 31 of 78
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    I was here when the home page was White on Black with that butt ugly Bondi logo.

Don't post much anymore.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 32 of 78
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Feb 20, 2000

I lurked for a while before I posted.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoostedWRX

THT - Always resourceful posts, I remember reading at some point that you own a NSX, no? Maybe that was someone else, between AI, Ars and I-club I can never remember who is who anyway.

No, that's Mr. NSX, the ATI dude at Ars. I didn't make that sort of money. Me, I owned a '92 Ford Ranger without air condition while living in Houston! Now that's self flagellation! Finally move to AC with an Explorer Sport Trac 3 years ago. My next set of wheels are all scoped out: 2005 F-150 SVT Lightning and a 2004 Cadillac SRX or CTS. Unfortunately, upcoming events (marriage, new house) has stomped all over those dreams...

MacNN Reality and early AppleInsider was fairly reliable I thought. They had inside sources, maybe one of them was embedded in the marketing graphics department. I remember two very good scoops: the line drawing of the El Capitan case, and the marketing image of the G4 Cube. Processor rumors were fairly good two, but that was fairly easy at the time. And that white on black text, nasty...
  • Reply 34 of 78
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    bought my first iMac in feb of 1999....found AI shortly after that...lurked for a couple of months...actual member date is summer or fall of 1999...

that is if my old man brain is functioning correctly....

g
  • Reply 35 of 78
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Since the very early days 8)
  • Reply 36 of 78
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    1999 i think, i was MacMan14 then.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    1999 as well--in the summer before the iMac DV came out, with its OUTRAGEOUSLY SPACIOUS 13gb drive.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I got here right after the release of the first iMac (September 1998, I believe). I was interested in switching from windows and I had to take a crash course in Mac lore. I eventually switched in the summer of 1999, with a used powerbook 540c and completely in fall 1999, with my purchase of a brand new iMac DVSE.

I remember reading AI everyday, along with all the links on Macsurfer and especially the columns of Charles Moore (road warrior), at MacOpinion and Applelinks.

Rumors were spread between here, MacObserver, MOSR, O'grady's powerpage (espacially during the p1 era) and powerbook zone.

I remember seeing the first "drawings" of the El Capitan case, the pictures of Kehei (sp?), the lombard sketches (with SCSI still there!). I remember the great PeterB and Scott Tarr (?) discussions (which lead to much banning), I remember Kim Cap Sol, Kormac, WorkerBee and especially Escher and his pb2400c revisited threads and Fran441's Newton longings.

I remember that my cat ate a watermelon thing, CrazyMac, the truth train's acoming chugg 'a chugg, 68k and a whole lot of blackouts!

I spent waaayyyy too much time here.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I was here in the old-skool barrysharp days. However, I have changed my screen name since then.

low-fi
  • Reply 40 of 78
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

I lurked for a while before I posted.

Gosh EmAn, and just think if you had started posting when you first got here. You could have gotten a few thousand more posts!