Apple releases iOS 13.4, iPadOS 13.4, watchOS 6.2, tvOS 13.4, macOS 10.15.4

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2020
Apple has released iOS 13.4, iPadOS 13.4, tvOS 13.4, macOS 10.15.4 and watchOS 6.2 to the public, with the operating system updates introducing support for the Powerbeats 4 earphones along with a collection of bug fixes and improvements.

Released on Tuesday, the updates to iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4 replace the previous version of the operating systems, iOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 13.3.1, which were released on January 28. Users are able to manually request the update on their iPhone or iPad via the Settings app, by selecting General then Software Update, then the option to install the update if it is available to that device.

For users with automatic updates enabled on their device, a notification will display once the update has been downloaded, indicating the update is ready to be installed.

The updates are largely expected to include elements offered within the earlier beta releases, which involved Apple issuing five generations of builds to developers and members of its public beta-testing program. The most recent beta release was on March 10.

One of the reasons for the update releases is thought to be the launch and availability of the Powerbeats 4, a set of earphones from Beats announced on March 16. Apple typically issues software updates after major product launches, in order to ensure compatibility with the new hardware.

Earlier builds of iOS and iPadOS 13.4 included changes such as the return of iCloud folder sharing, a way for developers to sell macOS and iOS apps as a single purchase, new Memoji stickers, toolbar updates for Mail, keyboard shortcuts for Photos, Family Sharing tweaks in the TV app, and new CarPlay controls. References to a CarKey API were also found, suggesting a future use of an iPhone or Apple Watch as an NFC car key.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Is iOS 13 finally safe to install on devices where we’ve been holding off on it due to the utter mess it has been so far?
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    Is iOS 13 finally safe to install on devices where we’ve been holding off on it due to the utter mess it has been so far?
    I've been using iOS 13 since the day it was released and I think your statement is utter nonsense. I'm sure you called iOS 12 an utter mess too, and 11, and 10, and 9. Phooey on your question. If one post here says it's still a mess you won't install it?
    edited March 2020 Scot1fastasleepbonobobStrangeDaysthtmichelb76smiffy31beowulfschmidtSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 3 of 34
    JhoseaJhosea Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    iOS 13 has ran perfect for me. I honestly can’t remember the last time that I really had a bad experience. It has been several years ago. 
    lkruppsmiffy31SnickersMagoo
  • Reply 4 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    dysamoria said:
    If you’re under the impression that iOS 13 is an “utter mess” I’d say the answer is no.

For everyone else, it’s fine.
    lkrupphmlongcofastasleepbonobobStrangeDayssmiffy31beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    I've been using iOS 13 since the day it was released and I think your statement is utter nonsense. I'm sure you called iOS 12 an utter mess too, and 11, and 10, and 9. Phooey on your question. If one post here says it's still a mess you won't install it?
    Utter nonsense? Let's be honest, 13 had some big hangups on day 1. I fought with iPad OS on my Pro and that was acceptable. If I had to put up with all of them on a mission critical device such as my iPhone I would have been going back to my backups ASAP.

With that said, iOS 13 is pretty good now.
    edited March 2020 baconstangagilealtitudedysamoriaMplsP
  • Reply 6 of 34
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    dysamoria said:
    Since that fear is irrational I’d say no.
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Anyone know what happened to Shortcuts for MacOS?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    And an update to the HomePod is available.
    wonkothesaneStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Wonderful... just when the Internet is overloaded by millions more people at home 24/7. Many of them will be binging on Box Sets, Netflix and everything else.

Don't complain about download speeds people.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    I had beta 6 installed, removed the profile, restarted, and no update showing up.  Interestingly, when I log into the Apple Dev portal, still no sign of the official 13.4, only beta 6. Odd...? Maybe not yet available for met just yet...
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 11 of 34
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    I had beta 6 installed, removed the profile, restarted, and no update showing up.  Interestingly, when I log into the Apple Dev portal, still no sign of the official 13.4, only beta 6. Odd...? Maybe not yet available for met just yet...
    Same here. 
  • Reply 12 of 34
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    As JanNL noted HomePod updates are also available.

All of my devices have updated successfully and without issue.

No update or fix yet for the AirPods issue noted earlier this year.  I still show Firmware 2B588 for my AirPod Pro, which was the initial version when released.  Some folks who updated in January have had issues and are stuck there.  Anyone have any updates on this?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Regrettably, the bug fix for what Apple Suport called a known issue, isn’t in this update. Had hoped today would be the day that Reminders worked again.  :'(

The known issue is where someone who elected to delay the migration to the new Reminders data format, and then migrated later, the iOS Reminders app is unable to sync with iCloud, even though Macs running Catalina can. The iCloud reminders can also be shared to other iOS devices. They just won’t sync to the original device. Factory Resets are inaffective in resolving the issue. I’ve tried twice, once with an Apple Store Genius’ actively working with me, to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Same here. 
    I think Apple made the 13.4 GM available to beta testers after beta 6. Since nothing changed post-GM, you probably already have the 13.4 release version. What shows up in Settings/General/About when you click on Software Version?

On my iPad Pro it says 13.4 (17E255), which is exactly the Release version shown on https://developer.apple.com/download/release/
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 15 of 34
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    Wonderful... just when the Internet is overloaded by millions more people at home 24/7. Many of them will be binging on Box Sets, Netflix and everything else.

Honest question... has any ISP anywhere said that their network actually *is* (or even might) suffer substantial or even noticeable congestion because of this?  I know Netflix and Youtube etc. are cutting bandwidth, but that seems to be more in response to politicians' concerns - not exactly a group known for their technical savvy.  Actual ISP reactions seem to be the opposite:  Opening the flood gates by increasing speeds and waiving data caps.
    longpathretrogustodysamoriabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:
    No, iOS 13.4 will still make you miserable. Everyone else will be fine, however. 
    lkruppStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 17 of 34
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    dewme said:
    Same here. 
    I think Apple made the 13.4 GM available to beta testers after beta 6. Since nothing changed post-GM, you probably already have the 13.4 release version. What shows up in Setting/General/About when you click on Software Version?

On my iPad Pro it says 13.4 (17E255), which is exactly the Release version shown on https://developer.apple.com/download/release/. ;
    Yes, same build number. That explains it. 
  • Reply 18 of 34
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    maltz said:

Honest question... has any ISP anywhere said that their network actually *is* (or even might) suffer substantial or even noticeable congestion because of this?  I know Netflix and Youtube etc. are cutting bandwidth, but that seems to be more in response to politicians' concerns - not exactly a group known for their technical savvy.  Actual ISP reactions seem to be the opposite:  Opening the flood gates by increasing speeds and waiving data caps.
    Honestly, this update came down faster than any in recent memory. I don’t see my ISP having any issues, and I spot check available bandwidth at my primary Velop router a couple times a day, with download speed never dropping below 200Mbps.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Crash, boom, bang and freeze...reboot...same result...when I try to add people to a folder in the files app. Maybe everyone is trying to do the same thing at the same time and overloading the service... ;)
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Well, iOS 13 was a mess when it came out, and Apple released 13.1.1 and 13.1.2 releases within two weeks. I finally installed it when it reached 13.1.3. It has had some issues, but nothing earth-shattering. 

lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:

edited March 2020 MplsP