HomeKit-compatible heater, doorbell and smart plug to debut soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple this week updated its list of supported HomeKit devices to reflect the addition of three upcoming products including a smart doorbell, smart plug and smart heater.

Yobi B3
Yobi's B3 video doorbell.

Spotted by iMore, Apple added three items to its HomeKit Accessories webpage in a doorbell from Yobi, a smart outlet plug by Meross and a heater from RioHeating.

Yobi's B3 video doorbell touts the usual list of features including 180-degree 1080p video with facial backlight compensation, infrared night vision, two-way audio and a weather-resistant chassis. Unique to the model are PIR pyroelectric sensors that track human movement by measuring body heat, reducing false alerts from passing cars and other moving objects.

The B3 sells for $199 and can be preordered from Yobi's website.

Meross
Meross' new HomeKit plug.

Meross' MSS110HK Smart Plug Mini is a single-outlet plug similar in design to devices marketed by other manufacturers. Sold as a two-pack, the plugs can be stacked to occupy a typical wall outlet.

Users can remotely control plugged in electronics, either through the Meross app or via Siri. A button on the unit's right side acts as a manual on/off switch. App-based scheduling and timer features are included, as is support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.

The MSS110HK is currently listed on Amazon but is not available for purchase.

RioHeating
RioHeating's ARC smart heater.

Finally, the ARC heater by RioHeating sports a glass enclosure, built-in WiFi module, multi-unit control and an LCD screen. In addition to temperature settings, the screen displays QR codes for pairing with HomeKit, Alexa and Assistant.

The ARC is expected to hit stores in April, but pricing is at this point unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Still waiting for the first HomeKit-compatible doorbell camera that does not need to be hard wired. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    mike1 said:
    Still waiting for the first HomeKit-compatible doorbell camera that does not need to be hard wired. 
    Most doorbells already have a wire in place anyway to connect to the bell. Apple has been pretty stingy with wireless cameras, so I would be surprised if this came any time soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    The heater website says something about a “direct link between in-built WiFi and ARC servers. “

Sorry I am not going to install any heater that relies on some Server elsewhere.   It only needs to communicate with my HomeKit hub and me. 

(I assume they have a fail safe that keeps it working if the remote servers are not available).  

But there should be no need for a HomeKit based device like this to need an external server link.  
    wlymlongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Precisely, couldn’t agree more.  I’ve been very patiently waiting for several years for the HK ecosystem to provide ample options that do not rely on 3rd party bridges, apps, servers, subscriptions, etc.  I simply want/expect to plug and play, and control everything through the HK app.  And I’m mostly talking security, not colorful lights.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Wake me when they’ve perfected the android maid... HomeKit compatible.

I’ll have her answer the door, turn off appliances, etc.

Buying a device for each function doesn’t seem very efficient...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Amazon says this product is available but it’s not HomeKit compatible. Only works with iOS
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Had a brief look at these. I’d be very wary of installing any of these products in my home. If your going to the effort of picking up a drill or hardwiring something I want to know it’s going to last 5-10 years and be of very high quality. 

I don’t understand why Apply doesn’t pony up and use it’s cash to make some first party HomeKit products. 

Google’s control of Nest looks really good. Although I don’t have much personal experience with it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    There doesn’t seem to be any information on the Yobi B3 site about whether it supports HomeKit Secure Video. The only doorbell I can find, that is actively shipping, and supports HK SV has low resolution, apparently lacks night vision, has no mention of motion sensors, and is too bulky to fit where my standard doorbell is currently installed. I’d hoped the Netatmo would finally ship instead of being perpetual vaporware. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    mike1 said:
    I'd like one of those, but want it to mount in a door viewer hole. In fact I would prefer a motion activated camera without a doorbell, and a cheap stick on battery door bell so the camera isn't obvious or vulnerable.

D_CMills said:
    Most doorbells already have a wire in place anyway to connect to the bell. 
    But you're limited to placing the camera where the doorbell was or extending (and concealing) the wire to put the camera at a better location. A battery operated doorbell camera gives more utility in mounting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mike1 said:
    I can't imagine wanting a doorbell that had to operate on batteries I'd have to replace.  That's just me though.
    longpathmaltz