Unsurprisingly, a 2020 iPad Pro will bend if you try to break it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    jacg said:
    Mine was so subtly bent I would not have noticed. I barely notice now.

I don’t know if it was bent from the start, bent in a bag or cracked in the sun (I was on an Island in Thailand at the time).

All I’m saying is I liked how robust my previous iPads seemed. It was something that went well with the new device category. We deploy iPads at my school. Would we deploy iPad Pros?!?!
    Why on earth would you you deploy the top of the line, most expensive pro to students? Right tool for the right job...
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member

And it is reprehensible to break an iPad Pro just to be patronizing. You can argue that Apple makes the iPad Pro by the millions, and you can argue that Apple designers or engineers were well paid for their work. But this is still someone's work, and destroying an iPad Pro is vandalism.
    No, vandalism is when you damage someone else's property. If they're damaging an iPad they're purchased they may be stupid, but it is in no way, shape, or form, vandalism...
    crowleyFLMusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    This reminds me of the equally infuriating insurance commercial that treats their potential customers as if they're idiots with "We customize your insurance so you only pay for what you need," leaving out the most important part; "…like every other insurance company." I wonder if they understand how well that'll backfire among the non-intellectually challenged? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    First of all, he also bended his 2018 iPad Pro, in that time he wasn’t selling any cases. So clearly he didn’t do it for the reason of selling a case.

Second of all, HE is doing so that you will know how strong the device you’re buying is. 

Third of all, the definition of vandalism is: “ the crime of intentionally damaging property belonging to other people”.

Evert
  • Reply 25 of 44
    BREAKING NEWS!!! The 2020 iPad Pro is not idiot-proof!!
    BeatsStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerFLMusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    On another note, I would be concerned that bending an iPad like this might rupture the battery. That would be catastrophic. 
    photography guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    petri said:
    I’m not sure if this site was always AppleApologist and I just didn’t notice so much to start with, or what.  I don’t even need to see the video (and I haven’t) to know that iPad Pros are weaker than they used to be, and weaker than they should be, to function as the go-anywhere, Chuck-in-a-backpack tablet they were originally intended as.  It’s not just a question of materials either, the current design is just fundamentally less strong and far more prone to flex.  

Apple should be called out on that.  They should be called out on a bad design which functions less well than it’s predecessors and will be an expensive disappointment for some of its customers.  And when they launch another new iPad generation with the same design flaw and the same weakness, they deserve to be called out on it again, and for more YouTubers to make these same videos pointing it out.  

Apple should do better.  So should AppleInsider.

What are you going on about? How about maybe be a responsible adult and take care of your uber-expensive gadget. I've dropped my iPad Pro multiple times from a fair height and its doing ok. And if it wasn't, shame on me.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Anybody got a brand new Rolex I can, ah, borrow to put in my backpack without bending?

Apple Watch doesn't bend in a backpack either. I don't think you get the point here.

petri said:
    I’m not sure if this site was always AppleApologist and I just didn’t notice so much to start with, or what.  I don’t even need to see the video (and I haven’t) to know that iPad Pros are weaker than they used to be, and weaker than they should be, to function as the go-anywhere, Chuck-in-a-backpack tablet they were originally intended as.  It’s not just a question of materials either, the current design is just fundamentally less strong and far more prone to flex.  

Apple should be called out on that.  They should be called out on a bad design which functions less well than it’s predecessors and will be an expensive disappointment for some of its customers.  And when they launch another new iPad generation with the same design flaw and the same weakness, they deserve to be called out on it again, and for more YouTubers to make these same videos pointing it out.  

Why is only Apple called out for everything? The knockoffs have been scientifically proven to bend at LESS pressure yet no one gives a shit.

Should we only call out Tesla cars for having breakable windows?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    While other tablets won't. Give me a break with this crap. 

When Apple fails, it's "the law of physics"

When Apple succeeds, it's "Yep, told ya losers. Apple is the best"
    Evertmakaveli-313The_Angry_Lagdroid
  • Reply 30 of 44
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    elijahg said:
    Unfortunately publicising this idiot just gets him more clicks and more ad revenue.
    I totally agree.   I don't think AI should publicize these idiots.  It's a disgusting waste of equipment that could have been donated to a school or a child in need and it's idiotic in the first place.    If I smash my car with a hammer, guess what - it's going to be dented.  

I don't even like when iFixIt takes apart an expensive device that they know they can't put back together, but at least when they do it, there's a purpose behind it. 
    Beatspscooter63elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I watch this channel pretty frequently..He did the same test with last year's model when they didn't have a case line. I also watched most of this video and he definitely recommends a cover, but he didn't specifically mention his own product?  Maybe he snuck it in at the end of the video when I was getting ready to work this morning?

He also does drop tests on all the new iPhones as well, has been for years before he/they ever sold cases.  What's a shame is that Apple didn't do a thing to give this iPad any more rigidity with this refresh. Similar to how they strengthened things up on the iPhone 6s after the whole Bendgate thing with the iPhone 6. I guess the bending issue was so small they didn't feel they needed too?  I am not really sure..

He was currently using a 12.9 inch Pro from last year ( It's sitting in front of him and he picks it up in the video )  that had a bit of a bend but was still functional.. before he unboxed and basically destroyed this new model.  I don't haul my iPad 10.5 Pro around in a back pack with a bunch of books or other devices, but there are a lot of folks who do and bending is a real concern if that a daily thing for you. If my personal device needs to come with me I have a full leather book style cover that I slap on and I wrap something around it.  I am more concerned about the screen than I ever was with bending. 

Side note:  It hurt my soul to see him so easily bend the beautiful new silver Pro until it stopped working. It was the exact model I want for myself. B)
    edited March 2020 Evert
  • Reply 32 of 44
    First of all, he also bended his 2018 iPad Pro, in that time he wasn’t selling any cases. So clearly he didn’t do it for the reason of selling a case.

Second of all, HE is doing so that you will know how strong the device you’re buying is. 
    Really? So how strong is it? What meaningful metric of strong-ness do we learn from this?

Nah. It’s clickbait. You fell for it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    acejax805 said:
    While other tablets won't. Give me a break with this crap. 

When Apple fails, it's "the law of physics"

When Apple succeeds, it's "Yep, told ya losers. Apple is the best"
    Huh? Are you suggesting it really isn’t the laws of physics resulting in a thin piece of metal and glass bending when sufficient force is applied to it over a fulcrum point? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Click bait, revenue bait. Such a pointless exercise. It lacks absolute all credibility. So stupid. An utter waste of peoples time and his money, albeit he will probably claim insurance against via some other means. AppleInsider, which arguing very well why this lacks any credibility, probably shouldn't have given this guy any air space. 

This isn't real world, unless you have serious anger management issues. As. someone said about, these videos have had their day. Focus on something positive, something real something with some integrity. FFS.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Bee95Bee95 Posts: 1member
    You’ll be VERY disappointed with JerryRigsEverything then...
    EvertThe_Angry_Lagdroid
  • Reply 36 of 44
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    neilm said:
    Anybody got a Rolex I can, ah, borrow to test with this hammer?
    Here’s a Rolex that was run over by a car. Apart from broken crystal and dented clasp it was still working fine...

makaveli-313
  • Reply 37 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    These kind of videos are idiotic, and I don't even bother to click on them. Practically any product will break if somebody sets out to break it. What a revelation!

Somebody should make a video of people punching certain youtubers in the face to see if they get a black eye (the participants would be consenting of course). That would be more entertaining to watch, to be honest.
    edited March 2020 DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    petri said:

Put a fucking case on it. There are hundreds out there, many of which are thick as a PowerBook and won't bend.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    elijahg said:
    Unfortunately publicising this idiot just gets him more clicks and more ad revenue.
    Actually I really like this guy and follow him on YouTube. He's not trying to disprove anything or reveal some big secret, he's just showing what the capabilities of the device are.  His teardowns are very informative and give a great insight into the hardware built into devices, I have learned a lot from his videos.  
    The_Angry_Lagdroidmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 44
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I used to be subscribed to EAP but then when he started damaging products just because it generated click, I unsubscribed.
    watto_cobra