Updates for older iPhones & iPads, third-gen Apple TV released

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2020
Alongside the updates to Apple's current operating systems, updates for some older versions were also released, with owners of earlier models of the Apple TV, Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad able to install iOS 12.4.6 and updated Apple TV Software, while security updates have also been issued for macOS High Sierra and Mojave

Apple TV app running on a third-generation Apple TV
Apple TV app running on a third-generation Apple TV

The update for the Apple TV Software brings it up to build number 12H885 and version 7.5, replacing the previous version of the set-top box operating system, version 7.4. Apple has yet to reveal what specific changes were made to the software, but it is available to install on all third-generation Apple TV units.

At the same time, Apple has released an update for owners of the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, and iPad mini 3 that brings their iOS installations up to version 12.4.6, as they are not capable of running the current releases, iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4. The update takes over from the previous release, iOS 12.4.5, issued in January.

An update has also been released for watchOS 5.3.6, which will enable the Apple Watch to continue functioning properly with the new iOS update for the older iPhones.

Joining the update to macOS Catalina 10.15.4 released on Tuesday, Apple has issued security update 2020-002 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Apple periodically releases updates for its older operating systems to fix major bugs, performance flaws, and security issues. The updates typically do not introduce new features to the software, though one update for the third-generation Apple TV in May 2019 introduced the Channels functionality to the software.

edred

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Good to see Apple sending out more updates for older devices that can’t get the latest OS.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I hope it fixes the audio/video sync issues that a lot of people with 3rd gen. Apple TV’s were having. That was particularly troublesome because the issues were specific to Apple TV+ content!
    edred
  • Reply 3 of 12
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Hope they fixed the audio/video syncing problems for AppleTV+ content on 3rd gen AppleTVs when subtitles are enabled. That alone makes the 3rd gen AppleTV nearly useless for watching AppleTV+.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Great and all, but the update keeps failing.  I keep getting an "update unsuccessful" message after it attempts to prepare the update. 

Oh well. 
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dtracht said:
    Great and all, but the update keeps failing.  I keep getting an "update unsuccessful" message after it attempts to prepare the update. 

Oh well. 
    Same with my ATV3 & Watch :(
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 6 of 12
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Hopefully the 3rd-gen AppleTV update will fix some bugs I've encountered in the Hulu app.  And (unlikely, I know), if they can bring Disney+ to this device, it would be great, because performance on my Roku TV isn't as good as I would like.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dtracht said:

Oh well. 
    Same here. I'm restoring it now, to try and see if it fixes the issues with Apple TV+.

edred said:
    Hope they fixed the audio/video syncing problems for AppleTV+ content on 3rd gen AppleTVs when subtitles are enabled. That alone makes the 3rd gen AppleTV nearly useless for watching AppleTV+.
    I get the sync problems either with or without the subtitles. But the mileage varies. Once I got to 40 minutes of a show without issue, and then it crapped out...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I had to fully reset it (which is a chore, since my aluminum remote has become finicky, after my kids mauled it), but after a second reboot, it was able to update. Now I'm watching the second episode straight of Snoopy! So far, so good!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    dtracht said:

Oh well. 
    I had similar problems with my AppleTV 3rd gen. I went through the update, fail, restart cycle 8 times yesterday. Today I thought, “What the heck“ and tried again. The update worked first try. I would guess some back end server issue on Apple’s side was to blame. There was a problem like that with Captive Portal pages a few years back on iOS devices.
    I would recommend folks to be patient and try again later today or tomorrow.
    scoobeesnac
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Works today  :*
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Seems to work today 

mbenz1962 said:
    dtracht said:

Oh well. 
    I had similar problems with my AppleTV 3rd gen. I went through the update, fail, restart cycle 8 times yesterday. Today I thought, “What the heck“ and tried again. The update worked first try. I would guess some back end server issue on Apple’s side was to blame. There was a problem like that with Captive Portal pages a few years back on iOS devices.
    I would recommend folks to be patient and try again later today or tomorrow.

• Reply 12 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The one notable change seems to be that the TV Remote widget in Control Center now works with TV 3 hardware (note that the UI for the 3rd gen hardware will have directional arrows and a center-button Select, mimicking the old silver remote): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202157

I had hoped that the change to buy/rent Prime content through the TV would also come to the 3rd gen hardware, but no such luck. 

TV Remote widget in Control Center with TV 3:

TV Remote app with TV 3:
    edited April 2020