Apple Music launches 'Come Together' collection amid pandemic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2020
Apple on Monday added a new collection, "Come Together," to its Apple Music streaming service for users taking part in COVID-19 social distancing, quarantine and lockdown measures.




Featured in the Browse tab of Apple Music, "Come Together" touts a host of playlists filled with hundreds of hours of popular music, music videos and selections from Beats 1 Radio.

Most playlists in the new collection are generated to reflect distinct moods and act as repositories for genre-specific tracks selected based on listener preference. Apple Music is also introducing seven new lists that span the spectrum, from lo-fi beats to R&B and pop, reports Engadget. New offerings include Isolation Icebreakers, Home-School-Strumentals and Social Distancing Social Club.

"To say that these are challenging times is an understatement. But wherever you are and whatever you're experiencing during the pandemic, we're all in this together," Apple Music's editors write in the collection's description. "Whether you're trying to find distraction while working, living, and playing at home or struggling to find a positive outlook under major life upheavals-- music can be an escape and a salve for yourself and whoever you're hunkered down with. Because social distancing doesn't need to mean antisocial."

The new curated "Come Together" playlists are available in the U.S. today and will be rolling out to other countries throughout the week.

Today's premiere follows last week's debut of Apple Music's "Get Up! Mix," an upbeat sampling of tunes handpicked to keep listeners positive during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition to the new playlists and playlist collections, Beats 1 hosts are forging ahead during the crisis and using their iPhones to conduct interviews with artists like Elton John and Hayley Williams.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    Come together is a horrible message right now. Are there any songs about staying apart? 🙃
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 2 of 10
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,161member
    Whats up with associating everything with the pandemic?   Don't we hear about it enough already?... to a point of distortion of reality....

    Shows, games, products, etc etc..  everything has to connect to the   pandemic somehow ? For absolutely zero reason? 





  • Reply 3 of 10
    Whats up with associating everything with the pandemic?   Don't we hear about it enough already?... to a point of distortion of reality....

    Shows, games, products, etc etc..  everything has to connect to the   pandemic somehow ? For absolutely zero reason? 





    I don’t know about you, but there is no part of my current reality that isn’t impacted in some way by the pandemic. I have not left my house other than to take a walk in my neighborhood in nearly two weeks and it’s looking like at least another four weeks of the same. 
    Some of this stuff is profiteering. Some of it is genuinely just trying to help everyone keep their spirits up. Unfortunately that will likely come at the expense of anyone who would rather put it out of their mind as much as possible. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This whole thing is turning into a joke.

    You've got Mcdonalds changing their logo, Audi changing their logo, VW changing their logo and probably more too that I don't yet know about. Everything seems to have to do with the virus fad these days, and everybody and their brother is jumping on board.

    Maybe when this whole thing blows over, we can have a virus day parade every year in each city, like the Thanksgiving day parade or something. People can dress up in virus themed costumes and dance around like a bunch of fools.

    You've got all these celebrities doing streams from home and posting crap to places like instagram, fb and twitter.

    And "Come Together" is a terrible message to be sending out in my opinion. The message should be more in the vein of "Stay the hell away from me". If I were to make a virus playlist, I'd definitely include songs like "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by the Police into that playlist.

    I'm so glad that I gave up my cable tv subscription a while back. I can just imagine what the media is like these days with their nonstop reporting and fear mongering about the virus, and I feel truly blessed that I'm not able to tune into any of the cable news channels any more.  I'm saving money and preserving my sanity at the same time. It's a win, win situation.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 5 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Soli said:
    Come together is a horrible message right now. Are there any songs about staying apart? 🙃
    I understood it immediately. We need to help one another by being precautions and flattening the curve. We can overcome together.

    There's a phrase going around. Something like "let's stay at home, together" except it doesn't sound cheesy.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 10
    uraharaurahara Posts: 641member
    apple ][ said:
    This whole thing is turning into a joke.

    You've got Mcdonalds changing their logo, Audi changing their logo, VW changing their logo and probably more too that I don't yet know about. Everything seems to have to do with the virus fad these days, and everybody and their brother is jumping on board.

    Maybe when this whole thing blows over, we can have a virus day parade every year in each city, like the Thanksgiving day parade or something. People can dress up in virus themed costumes and dance around like a bunch of fools.

    You've got all these celebrities doing streams from home and posting crap to places like instagram, fb and twitter.

    And "Come Together" is a terrible message to be sending out in my opinion. The message should be more in the vein of "Stay the hell away from me". If I were to make a virus playlist, I'd definitely include songs like "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by the Police into that playlist.

    I'm so glad that I gave up my cable tv subscription a while back. I can just imagine what the media is like these days with their nonstop reporting and fear mongering about the virus, and I feel truly blessed that I'm not able to tune into any of the cable news channels any more.  I'm saving money and preserving my sanity at the same time. It's a win, win situation.
    Thousands of deaths is a joke to you?
    You are a truly blessed individual. 
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    urahara said:
    Thousands of deaths is a joke to you?
    You are a truly blessed individual. 
    You're apparently not blessed when it comes to reading comprehension, because I never wrote what your question implies. I think that much of the media's and society's reaction to it is a joke.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,113member
    Whats up with associating everything with the pandemic?   Don't we hear about it enough already?... to a point of distortion of reality....

    Shows, games, products, etc etc..  everything has to connect to the   pandemic somehow ? For absolutely zero reason
    It’s not a distortion of reality, nor for zero reason. Most Americans are under stay-at-home orders and experiencing social isolation. Thus playlists of music to help them feel upbeat offers value. Durr.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,113member
    apple ][ said:
    This whole thing is turning into a joke.

    You've got Mcdonalds changing their logo, Audi changing their logo, VW changing their logo and probably more too that I don't yet know about. Everything seems to have to do with the virus fad these days, and everybody and their brother is jumping on board.

    Maybe when this whole thing blows over, we can have a virus day parade every year in each city, like the Thanksgiving day parade or something. People can dress up in virus themed costumes and dance around like a bunch of fools.

    You've got all these celebrities doing streams from home and posting crap to places like instagram, fb and twitter.

    And "Come Together" is a terrible message to be sending out in my opinion. The message should be more in the vein of "Stay the hell away from me". If I were to make a virus playlist, I'd definitely include songs like "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by the Police into that playlist.

    I'm so glad that I gave up my cable tv subscription a while back. I can just imagine what the media is like these days with their nonstop reporting and fear mongering about the virus, and I feel truly blessed that I'm not able to tune into any of the cable news channels any more.  I'm saving money and preserving my sanity at the same time. It's a win, win situation.
    apple ][ said:
    urahara said:
    Thousands of deaths is a joke to you?
    You are a truly blessed individual. 
    You're apparently not blessed when it comes to reading comprehension, because I never wrote what your question implies. I think that much of the media's and society's reaction to it is a joke.
    It’s not a joke. I realize you have absolutely zero scientific background or expertise (my SO is an infectious diseases molecular biologist, and works on viruses like HIV, ebola, and now this), but the actions being taken are essential to prevent millions of deaths, of which at least hundreds of thousands would be on US soil. We have no heard immunity to this novel coronavirus, and it will take time to develop vaccines or antiviral prophylactic drugs. It’s so not a joke that even the science-denying president has accepted it as fact. Fox News too. 

    The reason corporations and celebrities are releasing material related to the global pandemic is to reenforce and encourage people to take social distancing seriously so we can flatten the curve and buy time to work on herd immunity. 

    In short, it seems like a joke to you because you’re ignorant. Typical human behavior. Thankfully, humans specialize, and we have specialized experts able to guide policy the rest of us are ignorant about. 
    edited March 2020 Soli
  • Reply 10 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    Beats said:
    Soli said:
    Come together is a horrible message right now. Are there any songs about staying apart? 🙃
    I understood it immediately.
    Me, too. My comment was intended as a joke, hence the emoji at the end of my comment.
Sign In or Register to comment.