Case for affordable 4.7-inch iPhone arrives at Best Buy, suggests handset will debut this ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
With rumors of a next-generation "iPhone SE 2" aswirl, Best Buy this week reportedly received a batch of cases designed for an as-yet-unannounced 4.7-inch iPhone model that could go on sale in the near future.

iPhone SE 2 Case
Alleged 'iPhone SE 2' case. | Source: MacRumors

Best Buy employees who took receipt of an Urban Armor Gear case created for a "New iPhone 4.7" , 2020" handset were told not to stock the product until April 5, according to a report from MacRumors.

While the information has not been confirmed, an April 5 release date could point an iPhone debut as early as this week.

Third-party case manufacturers sometimes make bets on leaked schematics to be first to market with protective gear and other accessories. As these firms typically gain inside information from supply chain sources, the practice is by no means a science. However, releases for important products like iPhone have in the past proved fairly accurate bellwethers of Apple's plans.

Apple is widely rumored to launch a so-called "iPhone SE 2" or "iPhone 9" to fill the needs of customers in the market for mid-range handsets. A follow-up to 2016's iPhone SE, the next-generation smartphone is expected to boast a design influenced by iPhone 8, which includes a 4.7-inch LCD display and Touch ID biometric security.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple will turn to an A13 Bionic processor with 3GB of RAM to power the device. The tech giant made a similar move with the first iPhone SE iteration, packing a then-current A9 system-on-chip into the handset.

Reports earlier this month indicated production of Apple's affordable iPhone was in its final stages, with sources claiming an introduction by late March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Best Buy: Whoops!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,314member
    If they designed it properly it wouldn't need such a heavy case.

Since the SE phones have gotten larger and more case dependant than ever making them bulker still.

Still on the plus side the wallet is getting slimer thanks to the phone.
    edited March 2020 dewme
  • Reply 3 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mattinoz said:

Since the SE phones have gotten larger and more case dependant than ever making them bulker still.

These kinds of cases have been available for forever. Nobody is forcing you to buy a bulky case, but they exist for people who need the most protection. 

Sorry about your slimy wallet.
    razorpitmwhitebeowulfschmidtchiaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    j238j238 Posts: 10member
    Might the iPhone be announced tomorrow 3/31? Announcements are usually on a Tuesday.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 493member
    A high performance low cost iPhone is perfect during these volatile economic times for someone who needs a phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    In all fairness, we just know the size - it could be a 4.7” phone for $1500
    chasmcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    mattinoz said:

Phones don't need a case at all. Cases are completely optional.

I've used my SE without a case for a long time now, and it still looks pristine and functions great.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    4.7" is the new 4", just like how the 4" was the new 3.5"!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I have to point out that his doesn't actually prove anything at all. Case makers have long taken measurements from rumours and put out cases in the hopes that the rumours were true. When they aren't, they just write off those prototype cases.

But even thinking this is true regarding the size, I think people saying this will be a "low cost" iPhone (talk about a contradiction in terms!) are using a very different (and quite relative) version of the term than the one the public might use. For them, "low cost" should mean less than $400US. Hands up anyone who thinks that's going to happen.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    chasm said:
    I have to point out that his doesn't actually prove anything at all. Case makers have long taken measurements from rumours and put out cases in the hopes that the rumours were true. When they aren't, they just write off those prototype cases.
    It’s one thing to mock up cases based on rumored specs. It’s another thing altogether to put them in retail packaging and ship them to Best Buy stores.
    ZepLepplind_2dewmerazorpitStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    apple ][ said:
    mattinoz said:

I've used my SE without a case for a long time now, and it still looks pristine and functions great.
    Tell that to someone who works in construction. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    chasm said:

But even thinking this is true regarding the size, I think people saying this will be a "low cost" iPhone (talk about a contradiction in terms!) are using a very different (and quite relative) version of the term than the one the public might use. For them, "low cost" should mean less than $400US. Hands up anyone who thinks that's going to happen.
    So you think Best Buy ordered phone cases from a distributor for a phone which they don’t know is coming or not? You think they ordered it just in case?

Yes, I think it’s going to be under $400. I think it’s going to be $399 like the SE was when it launched. $349 if they’re bold. I think in this form factor at that price it’ll sell like hot cakes in developing countries like India and Indonesia, and potentially the US and Europe depending on the economic fallout COVID-19 has on the rest of this year.
    MisterKitd_2dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    chasm said:
    And I have to point out that Apple routinely gives chosen case vendors advance specs so there will be some cases available besides Apple's.

Since the 2007 iPhone, I don't remember ever seeing a case on display  what was a miscalculation on the part of the vendor.

So while not proof of anything, I think the odds are very good the DAG case will be of proper fitment.

mattinoz said:

You're high. Go sleep it off.

payeco said:
    Best Buy: Whoops!
     :D  No kidding. I wonder WSJWD. Anybody remember when ATi released specs on a version of G3 iMacs because their graphics chip was in them? The story was ATi had some flyers printed up an somebody at the print shop leaked the specs to the jurnos. Jobs punished ATi and it took awhile to be forgiven. That won't happen to BB.

MplsP said:
    In all fairness, we just know the size - it could be a 4.7” phone for $1500
    In all fairness, it could be, but in all likelihood, it won't.

It won't have nearly the bells and whistles as the top tier iPhones. I'd be surprised if it had FaceID. Without that, it's not a $1500. It won't have the camera of the top tier, as well as a couple of other features.

The iPhone 8 will be dropped from the lineup, and this will be priced a little higher than that, at least. The 8 starts at $449, the XR at $599, to open.

Apple will drop one, possibly both, and slide the 9 in at $499. Or Apple could bump up the base storage on the XR along with the price and keep it in the lineup.

I have no idea if any of the above will happen, but my guess is probably as good as DigiTimes. :D :D 

razorpitStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    JinTech said:
    apple ][ said:
    mattinoz said:

I never wrote that somebody who works in construction doesn't need a case. If I were doing that sort of work, I would probably be using a case myself on my phone. 

I don't think that the average person needs a case, but that is of course up to each individual person to decide. 

I am of the belief that it ruins the look and feel of the phone, and Apple's products are best enjoyed bare, without anything at all on them. Others are free to have a different opinion.
    edited March 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 15 of 22
    So, only one camera then? Looks like a case for a iPhone 8. I so would like a smaller iPhone 11 pro. But I guess this is a budget-phone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    So, only one camera then? Looks like a case for a iPhone 8. I so would like a smaller iPhone 11 pro. But I guess this is a budget-phone. 
    If this case is for the SE 2, then yes, that's the point, it's the budget phone and the camera wont be close to anything found on the iPhone 11 etc.
    d_2watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    mattinoz said:
    It may not need such a heavy case, but that doesn't stop a case maker from arguing it does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Might be my next iPhone update from 8 to 9.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    apple ][ said:
    If this case is for the SE 2, then yes, that's the point, it's the budget phone and the camera wont be close to anything found on the iPhone 11 etc.
    Agreed. But this isn’t really a bad thing. Since the iPhone 4s the cameras on all iPhones from the lowest cost on up are excellent for the majority of users. Sure, the cameras on the top tier models are objectively better, but only a minority of users actually take advantage of the camera improvements and extra features on the high end models. 

If we named the iPhone 4s and later products based on the proportional R&D investment in functionality we’d be calling Apple’s products “iCamera” and calling them “SmartCameras” while pointing out that they also included an integrated phone, messaging, and a web browser. Calling these products phones is quaint, but it’s kind of like calling a Porsche Panamera a “wagon.” C’mon kiddies, everyone get in the wagon, and quit playing with your cameras. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    JinTech said:
    apple ][ said:
    mattinoz said:

Does that mean we all need to walk around in steel toed shoes and wear hard hats?  :D
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra