Apple now rumored to announce 'iPhone SE 2' on April 15

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Further rumors say that Apple is provisionally planning to announce the "iPhone SE 2," or what may be called the "iPhone 9", in mid-April, with shipping from April 22.

The iPhone SE 2, which may be called the iPhone 9, is expected to launch within the first half of 2020.
The "iPhone SE 2," which may be called the "iPhone 9," is expected to launch within the first half of 2020.

Following retail chain Best Buy's stocking of an iPhone case to fit a model with a 4.7-inch screen, a new rumor from Jon Prosser claims that Apple has now held internal meetings to decide on a release date for "iPhone SE 2," also known as the "iPhone 9." Reportedly, the meeting provisionally decided to announce the phone on April 15, and have it shipping a week later on April 22.

Twitter user Jon Prosser adds that "Apple is shipping iMacs to select retail employees who are being asked to work remotely." These staff are reportedly intended to provide both sales and technical support for customers. Prosser did previously claim that there had been a media briefing about the new iPhone on March 26, but said it was inconclusive.

iPhone 9 update

Per an internal meeting yesterday, Apple is now preparing for an April release.

Tentative dates:
- Announcement on April 15
- Shipments on April 22

Keep in mind: we're in the middle of a pandemic, and things could change.

Fingers crossed pic.twitter.com/egz8UWXd9F

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

His proposed announcement correlates with other sources recently reporting that the low-cost iPhone was entering final production. It also fits with previous claims by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that the phone will launch in the first half of 2020.

An update to the original iPhone SE has been strongly rumored for several years now, starting back in 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    In the past we used to see CAD/photo leaks of these new phones weeks if not months before release. 

Has Apple’s doubling down on security finally worked or do people just not care that much any longer?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think that iPhone 9 would be a good name for it instead of iPhone SE 2. 

(1) It would be good because it would differentiate it from the SE and certain people can quit complaining that it's not tiny sized like the original SE. This new phone can be seen as a slightly different phone than the SE. It would still be budget priced, presumably, but the chassis would be different and the size would be slightly larger than the original SE, thus earning it a different name than the SE.

(2) The name iPhone 9 has not been used yet. Apple skipped over it, so naming this new phone the iPhone 9 would be a good move and it would fill in the missing gap, especially since it's rumored to be based on the iPhone 8 and this iPhone 9 can be seen as an upgraded version of the 8, since it'll have the same dimensions, but it will surely have better internals, such as a newer and more powerful CPU.

We shall see what Apple decides to call it soon enough.

Either way, this is only a minor issue and I don't really think it matters at all what Apple decides to call it. If it's a good phone, then it's a good phone. Apple can call it whatever they want and people who are in the market for such an iPhone will be getting one.

edited March 2020 cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 13
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    So if you call it 9, what will its successors be in following years? 9.1, 9.2? Doubt it. It's actually interesting little puzzle.
    godofbiscuits
  • Reply 4 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Folio said:
    So if you call it 9, what will its successors be in following years? 9.1, 9.2? Doubt it. It's actually interesting little puzzle.
    The SE was a one off phone that was released in March 2016, that's quite a few years ago.

There's no guarantee that there will be a successor to the new phone that Apple is releasing soon.

Perhaps there will be another budget iPhone in the future sometime, but if we look at the history of the SE, then that could be many years away from now, so I don't think that Apple needs to worry about what the name of any eventual successor might be at this time. They can come up with a new name in 3 or 4 years if they need to.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    You can safely bet Apple has successors in mind. Cheaper iphone is gateway to $$$ in services, watches, AirPods etc. Not just in US, but in India, China, Brasil, and more of Europe. New devices like AR glasses won't change that.... until 2035 perhaps.
    avon b7
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm hoping for processor and RAM parity, but less camera and AR gubbins, and probably TouchID instead of FaceID in a more bezelly form factor.  That'd be the iPhone for me.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I’ll miss the SE. Other than iPhone 4/4s best iPhone evah!
    pulseimagesiHyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 13
    apple ][ said:

(1) It would be good because it would differentiate it from the SE and certain people can quit complaining that it's not tiny sized like the original SE. This new phone can be seen as a slightly different phone than the SE. It would still be budget priced, presumably, but the chassis would be different and the size would be slightly larger than the original SE, thus earning it a different name than the SE.

(2) The name iPhone 9 has not been used yet. Apple skipped over it, so naming this new phone the iPhone 9 would be a good move and it would fill in the missing gap, especially since it's rumored to be based on the iPhone 8 and this iPhone 9 can be seen as an upgraded version of the 8, since it'll have the same dimensions, but it will surely have better internals, such as a newer and more powerful CPU.

Either way, this is only a minor issue and I don't really think it matters at all what Apple decides to call it. If it's a good phone, then it's a good phone. Apple can call it whatever they want and people who are in the market for such an iPhone will be getting one.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. 

• Reply 9 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:

Yes, and by all rumors, that's pretty much what it is:  an iPhone 9 rather than a 'Special Edition'. 

The original SE was a classic small screen design merged with upgraded guts.  But I have a hard time seeing any positives to the iPhone 8 design in light of the X series with full face screens.  Instead of looking classic it's looking dated.

Personally, I would have preferred seeing an SE form factor with a full face, no bezel screen -- even if it meant putting an older processor in.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    This is the way to go if pricing hits the sweet spot.

It's virtually a win-win for someone needing an iPhone but without the finances to justify the current new offerings.

It should also appeal to those who prefer smaller phone sizes.

For another group of users it can act as a stepping stone to where Apple wants its devices to be in terms of 5G and AR/VR.

From a marketing and manufacturing perspective it provides a much needed attention grabber around MWC and spaces manufacturing and logistics better.

For less developed markets like India and South America it provides a hook that is actually attractive to many more potential buyers.

For Apple there is a risk that users anywhere could shun higher end models for a more affordable, new option but frankly Apple had few options left here. We know that iPhone sales have been largely flat for years now. So, with services looking to make up for stalling iPhone revenues it still makes sense if it sells in numbers.

For that, pricing will be key.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I swore I'd never buy another iPhone until a small form factor update came along, but my current SE is on it's last legs. I wish they would get it through their thick heads that SE devotee's don't care about the price point, we want a small phone that does everything, or at least most stuff. The current 5s form with an edge to edge screen would rule. And a massive battery, I don't even care if it gets thicker, just juice it all day. As a matter of fact, make it thicker and rubberize it so I don't need a battery case. Dream phone.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Yeah, never gonna be “iphone 9”

can you see it? “Sure, we’re currently selling the *11* and dure, the net is abuzz with the “12”, but please please please, in these hard times, spend your money on a *9*. 

This, from the arguably best marketing company that ever was. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iPhone 9 would be stupid.  I fully expect Apple to go with iPhone 9.
    avon b7