Apple acquires popular weather app Dark Sky

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:

I wonder if Apple might one day\ deploy a fleet of autonomous drones to collect both better, more localized weather data and to provide enhanced GPS-like functionality for the Apple ecosystem. That could be cool... 
    I hope not.  Dark Sky works with publicly available data sources, as does most weather reporting (I believe, there may be exceptions).  I'm sure Apple could add value, but if it means proprietary weather data and services then I think that's a net loss for us all.
    There are definitely private/proprietary weather forecasts (for example, I believe MLB buys forecasts that are specific to ballparks), but I don't know if those forecasts are proprietary because they use data that the rest of us can't access or if they claim to do a better job of processing that data. 

I am definitely in favor of public investment in basic science, which includes weather data collection and analysis. However, if a private firm can add value above and beyond what the government does by collecting additional data or doing their own analysis, then I'm all for that, too. 
    d_2watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    I'm looking forward (not really) to some naive person arguing that it's anti-competitive that the company with ~20% marketshare is keeping Dark Skies off the platform with ~80% marketshare. 

In fact, I think this will enhance competition -- it could encourage Google to up their game in weather, investing in a competing solution. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Dark Sky solicits user crowd sourced data, at least in the US east coast city I live in. Not sure if or how they use it.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Ugh - I hope apple doesn’t f^%# it up :(

They handled Shortcuts well - but sadly that is an exception vs. their track record.  Oh well - only time will tell.  
  • Reply 25 of 48
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Dark Weather has been my weather app of choice as well. Anybody can throw together technology and data (mud)....but purposeful design stands out and is difficult to find. Dark Weather has been trying to make a difference, and it shows.
    edited March 2020 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    docno42 said:

They handled Shortcuts well - but sadly that is an exception vs. their track record.  Oh well - only time will tell.  
    I dunno, I see some winners in this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple#Acquisitions

for example, NeXT, SoundJam, FingerWorks, P.A. Semi, Intrinsity, Anobit, AuthenTec, Passif, Beats, and really many, many more. 
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blastdoor said:
    I'm looking forward (not really) to some naive person arguing that it's anti-competitive that the company with ~20% marketshare is keeping Dark Skies off the platform with ~80% marketshare. 

In fact, I think this will enhance competition -- it could encourage Google to up their game in weather, investing in a competing solution. 
    Buying someone else you mean? 

IMHO this is a really good Apple acquisition. Dark Sky is pretty accurate down here in Florida where the weather can quickly change, tho I would note that in the past few months it has not been as on-the-minute accurate as it's traditionally been. No clue as to what would account for that. 

• Reply 28 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    blastdoor said:
    Somebody already said it on Daring Fireball’s tweet for this story. Nuts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blastdoor said:
    No one should care. Companies do things for competitive reasons just as they always have.

Apple buys SoundJam but leaves it available to other platforms. Apple develops Apple Music and makes it available to other platforms. Apple buys DarkSky but removes it from other platforms. They have their reasons. Those other platforms now have the incentive to replace it. 

Developing stuff yourself can be a lot more effort and potentially less successful than buying someone who has already figured it out. Big tech has a significant advantage in that area which is why Apple and Amazon and Alphabet and Facebook all do it. They can easily afford it, and if they miss it won't matter. 
    edited March 2020 MacPro
  • Reply 30 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't follow weather apps much, so I've never heard of this app before, but I guess I'll be seeing it for myself soon perhaps if Apple implements it into their OS.

As for it being shut down for Android, do I care if an Android user now gets stuck in the middle of a thunderstorm because they have no app? No I do not. That is not my concern.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Folio said:
    Dark Sky solicits user crowd sourced data, at least in the US east coast city I live in. Not sure if or how they use it.
    To see if it's raining maybe?  ;)
    razorpit
  • Reply 32 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    No one should care. Companies do things for competitive reasons just as they always have.

Apple buys SoundJam but leaves it available to other platforms. Apple develops Apple Music and makes it available to other platforms. Apple buys DarkSky but removes it from other platforms. They have their reasons. Those other platforms now have the incentive to replace it. 

Developing stuff yourself can be a lot more effort and potentially less successful than buying someone who has already figured it out. Big tech has a significant advantage in that area which is why Apple and Amazon and Alphabet and Facebook all do it. They can easily afford it, and if they miss it won't matter. 
    100% agree.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    blastdoor said:
    Again maybe bad assumption on my part but I assumed this will be like Maps and MapKit JS and be released at vWWDC2020 as either a Standalone WeatherKit JS or just part of MapKit and MapKitJS.

So by the time the API access runs out it'll be just a change in account and T&C.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Good job Apple. We all know that hardware is now days an almost saturated market so added services is the way to go in the iOS world of Apple devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m glad that so many people like this app so much. That’s good. A question: is it available and just as accurate outside the US?  In Europe, fr’instance?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    blastdoor said:

Well, I will freely admit I don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to take Android users' money.  I mean, I realize that Apple likely bought this to include the tech in their own app, but why leave money out there.

Obviously, I've missed something.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    fred1 said:
    I’m glad that so many people like this app so much. That’s good. A question: is it available and just as accurate outside the US?  In Europe, fr’instance?
    US and Great Britain/Ireland only. 

They‘ve cited lack of availability of comparable data for mainland Europe as the issue, and stated they were working on it for some years now, but it never came about. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    spheric said:
    fred1 said:
    US and Great Britain/Ireland only. 

They‘ve cited lack of availability of comparable data for mainland Europe as the issue, and stated they were working on it for some years now, but it never came about. 
    I see. Thanks for the response. Sad. Of course they could mention that in the description in the App aStore ... 😠
  • Reply 39 of 48
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    docno42 said:

They did good with ShortCuts. Ironically though the only app I really want to create some shortcuts for isn't supported. :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    I use Weather Underground (Android version) which offers a wealth of information and is largely accurate where I live.

If in doubt, it lets me see the precipitation radar images for my zone and pulls data from sensors in my area.

It claims it has "the world's most accurate weather service, pinpointed to any microclimate".

I'm not a big fan of the latest design changes to the App interface, though.

I had no idea that Dark Sky even existed  and seeing as it wasn't very widely distributed, I shouldn't be surprised.

edited April 2020