Supposed 'iPhone 9' leak again suggests handset will share design with iPhone 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2020
Another day, another "iPhone SE 2" accessory leak. An alleged photograph of what is claimed to be Target's merchandise stocking system reveals an unreleased Zagg screen protector compatible with iPhone 6, 7, 8 and an as-yet-unreleased "iPhone 9."

Shared to Twitter by YouTube vlogger Jon Prosser, the picture shows stock information for what is presumably a Zagg InvisibleShield series protective cover designed to fit a rumored "iPhone 9" device rumored to launch in the coming weeks.

Specifically, the listing notes an "[iPhone] 6/7/8/9" accessory that sells for $29.99, the exact price of currently available InvisibleShield products. Alleged compatibility with older iPhone models echoes past reports that claim the so-called "iPhone 9," also referred to as "iPhone SE 2," will share a design with 4.7-inch iPhone 8.

The purported Target location from which the photo was taken does not have stock of the item on hand, though the product is expected to sell in stores and online.

Today's supposed leak follows reports of Best Buy employees receiving a cache of "iPhone SE 2" cases from Urban Armor Gear.

The recent glut of accessories for an as-yet-unannounced device should come as no surprise, as third-party case manufacturers, in a bid to be first to market, often release products shortly before a new Apple device is predicted to launch. Firms often rely on leaked schematics or industry rumors to design and manufacture first-run accessories.

Apple is widely rumored to launch a so-called "iPhone SE 2" or "iPhone 9" in the second quarter of 2020. Targeting cost-conscious consumers, the handset is expected to pair an external design borrowed from the 2-year-old iPhone 8 with contemporary innards like an A13 Bionic processor with 3GB of RAM. The tech giant made a similar move with the first iPhone SE iteration, packing a then-current A9 system-on-chip into the handset.

Initially expected to see release in March, recent rumors suggest "iPhone SE 2" will be announced on April 15 ahead of wide availability on April 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    So let's review:

1. It's not an SE 2, it's an improved iPhone 8.

2. Ming-Chi Kuo is and has been wrong about this (he was the one who coined the term "iPhone SE 2"). The main selling point of the iPhone SE was its size, so this alleged iPhone 9 really has zippity-do-dah to do with an iPhone SE.

Personally I don't care -- wasn't looking to downsize (literally) from my iPhone XR, but I know more than a few people who will be very disappointed at this. Still, the iPhone 8 can finally be discontinued and the "iPhone 9" should make a great addition to the lineup, but Mr. Kuo and others referring to this as a "low-cost" iPhone are likely as wrong about that as they were about their nomenclature.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 18
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    An iPhone 9 isn’t an SE2.  People buy the SE because of the smaller size.

It’s possible that Apple never makes another SE, and just upgrades the iPhone 8.
    mattinozBeatsHank2.0
  • Reply 3 of 18
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Apple’s lovely little iPhone SE is no more. 4,7-inch is in the current market the amazingly small smartphone compared with other brands. Sony shipdropped the compact XZ1 line some time ago and no new real compact XZx arose after that happened. The 5-inch smartphones are also nowhere to be seen. Screen real estate is to blame with all the new add on services we see being developed and introduced. The use of the iPhone has changed as well as the user and install base. Augmented and virtual reality are rising as well as the under development artificial intelligence. 2007 is history so is the usage of smartphones.
  • Reply 4 of 18

Any thoughts if this new “iPhone 9” will also be offered in a 5.5” Plus model?  I would prefer that.  In addition, I can understand having an entry level 64GB and/or a 128GB, for certain markets, but I personally would prefer at least a 256GB.  However, I would instantly purchase, as the high end iPhone 9 Plus model, 5.5” display, 512GB, Touch ID , no notch, A13 Bionic, Dual 12MP Wide and Telephoto cameras,  7MP FaceTime HD Camera, 4GB of RAM, for under $800! 

Consider the 100+ Apple Arcade subscription apps, many weighing in at around 2GB, Movies, Photos, Books, both audio and standard, Audible, Podcasts  and then add a couple hundred apps.  It would be the perfect, lower cost, sans Face ID, developer model.  It shouldn’t be to much of an increase in price with the cost of memory continuing to drop.  Look at the lower cost, recent bump to the Mac Mini and the sub $999 MacBook Air starting at 256GB, on up to 2TB.

What are your thoughts?  Would you want one?

Am I just dreaming?

edited April 2020
  • Reply 5 of 18
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    The SE was not about size it was about retooling, using already proven paid for technologies. the SE was a retooled iphone 5/5S chassis with all new internals, the new 'low cost' iPhone will probable be a retooled iphone 8 with updated internals. People bought the SE for size, its almost certain that modern internals no longer fit inside the iPhone 5 chassis, and there are certainly no production lines left for that size model.
    netmage
  • Reply 6 of 18
    OOOAAH - what relief - How great to hear the iPhone 6 form factor is BACK !! It has been such a transformational, monumental change since iPhone 5 that I indeed needed 10 years to fully get accustomed to it. I didn’t realize it at first, and didn’t know how they did, but Apple made me do that. That monumental home button, the touch screen, and all other specific core-iPhone 6 characteristics only came to their full potential in iPhone 6. Every future diversion from it will be a tragic aberration...
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    I guess there’s about a one in a million chance the ‘9’ will have a headphone jack.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    I don't care what they call it - as long as it has TouchID. I still much prefer TouchID over FaceID.
    MacTheKnife2020Hank2.0jabohnMisterKit
  • Reply 9 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    With right price, people will still buy it even resemble to 8 design.
    MacTheKnife2020
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

Any thoughts if this new “iPhone 9” will also be offered in a 5.5” Plus model?  I would prefer that.  In addition, I can understand having an entry level 64GB and/or a 128GB, for certain markets, but I personally would prefer at least a 256GB.  However, I would instantly purchase, as the high end iPhone 9 Plus model, 5.5” display, 512GB, Touch ID , no notch, A13 Bionic, Dual 12MP Wide and Telephoto cameras,  7MP FaceTime HD Camera, 4GB of RAM, for under $800! 

Consider the 100+ Apple Arcade subscription apps, many weighing in at around 2GB, Movies, Photos, Books, both audio and standard, Audible, Podcasts  and then add a couple hundred apps.  It would be the perfect, lower cost, sans Face ID, developer model.  It shouldn’t be to much of an increase in price with the cost of memory continuing to drop.  Look at the lower cost, recent bump to the Mac Mini and the sub $999 MacBook Air starting at 256GB, on up to 2TB.

Am I just dreaming?

I think you are dreaming... B)

This is supposed to be a retooled cheaper iPhone.. Honestly aside form the touch ID and slightly smaller screen you have basically described the iPhone 11.. at 256gb is $849.00 USD.  No way Apple will offer any 512GB phone with those specs for under $800.00..  This would be a iPhone 11 replacement at that point and not a retooled cheaper iPhone..  but we all can dream.

MacTheKnife2020
  • Reply 11 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    The main selling point of the iPhone SE was its price. Reusing the existing tooling and assembly process from a recent product that has not yet been decommissioned and stuffing in “just enough” newer technology from a current product offering Is what makes it special. It’s classic product line engineering. It’s like Taco Bell, but on a smaller scale, I.e., how to offer 27 different products using the same five basic ingredients. 
    gatorguynetmage
  • Reply 12 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    chasm said:
    So let's review:

1. It's not an SE 2, it's an improved iPhone 8.

2. Ming-Chi Kuo is and has been wrong about this (he was the one who coined the term "iPhone SE 2"). The main selling point of the iPhone SE was its size, so this alleged iPhone 9 really has zippity-do-dah to do with an iPhone SE.

Personally I don't care -- wasn't looking to downsize (literally) from my iPhone XR, but I know more than a few people who will be very disappointed at this. Still, the iPhone 8 can finally be discontinued and the "iPhone 9" should make a great addition to the lineup, but Mr. Kuo and others referring to this as a "low-cost" iPhone are likely as wrong about that as they were about their nomenclature.
    I thought the marketing intent for the SE2 was the relatively low price. It was primarily meant for those who couldn't or didn't want to pay a hundred+ more for Apple's iPhone 6, tho of course there was a minority of buyers who didn't want the larger display on the 6. The fact it was smaller than the other iPhones being released at the same time was because in order to make the SE profitable it was reusing components already designed and contracted for the also small iPhone 5S and 5C with most of the features offered by the 6. Apparently it was not a success at least to Apple's standards, and hadn't been repeated other than old and discontinued stock finding its way to market this past year. 

Now in order to reach the low entry price for the 'SpecialEdition2" they'll take components already built/stocked/or designed for the now long in the tooth iPhone 8 and do a refresh with most features common to this year's iPhones. IMO the SE was always meant to be the bargain hunters iPhone, not the "small iPhone". 

Edit; @dewme apologies for stealing your argument. I hadn't yet read your post when I started mine. 
    edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingamnetmage
  • Reply 13 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Will be interesting if the dimensions are exactly the same as the iPhone 8 was.  One thing I noticed. since buying many cases. for my 8 Plus - most case makers did not design a new case for the iPhone 8 units.  Instead, they used the iPhone 7 cases for the iPhone 8 phones.  Obviously, this saved them time and money, however if you have an 8 you know that it would have been better to have the slightly bigger case.  The 8 series was slightly bigger than the 7 series.  My point here - will they cheap out again and reuse the iPhone 7 size for the new iPhone "9" ?   will be interesting
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    While certainly not as diminutive as the SE, the 8 chassis is still noticeably smaller than the least expensive "new" model.
    My wife was one of those who swore she wanted to replace her SE with another tiny (in her words) phone, but has come to love her 11.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    mike1 said:
    While certainly not as diminutive as the SE, the 8 chassis is still noticeably smaller than the least expensive "new" model.
    My wife was one of those who swore she wanted to replace her SE with another tiny (in her words) phone, but has come to love her 11.

The good news is they are all great phones, whether you think bezels and touch-id are inferior to face-id or not.   The iPhone 8 Plus is the best iPhone I've ever had, it's fantastic to use and fast.  I don't think I would go back to smaller screen now and if they make a "9 plus" with updated cpu that would be compelling upgrade that might be cost effective too...
    edited April 2020 MacTheKnife2020
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jcs2305 said:

Am I just dreaming?

I think you are dreaming... B)

This is supposed to be a retooled cheaper iPhone.. Honestly aside form the touch ID and slightly smaller screen you have basically described the iPhone 11.. at 256gb is $849.00 USD.  No way Apple will offer any 512GB phone with those specs for under $800.00..  This would be a iPhone 11 replacement at that point and not a retooled cheaper iPhone..  but we all can dream.

Good points about the 11.  Although I have the, expensive, 11 pro max 512GB, fortunately with government discounts, I have no need for Face ID, the notch is a detracting distraction and I already have a quality DSLR camera, therefore I’d prefer having a lower cost 5.5” model with an option for high memory & the updated processing power, with Touch ID. 
    But it seems I’ll have to keep dreaming...
    Nonetheless, does anyone feel Apple will offer a 5.5”, “Plus” version of this impending “iPhone 9”?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    It's been said that form follows function. If that's the case, I suggest that some changes of function need to be made. The iPhone is less and less a telephone any more; it's a camera, a portable computer and who knows what else. I submit that communication, as a primary function, should be moved to the Apple Watch, supplemented with a small Bluetooth ear piece. It's almost there already—it just needs FaceTime. Then maybe the current iPhone morphs into something like Spock's Tricorder: camera, computer, entertainment? 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Hank2.0 said:
    It's been said that form follows function. If that's the case, I suggest that some changes of function need to be made. The iPhone is less and less a telephone any more; it's a camera, a portable computer and who knows what else. I submit that communication, as a primary function, should be moved to the Apple Watch, supplemented with a small Bluetooth ear piece. It's almost there already—it just needs FaceTime. Then maybe the current iPhone morphs into something like Spock's Tricorder: camera, computer, entertainment? 
    Clever thinking.
    Sadly not of the kind that happens at immense, incumbent corporations / tech bureaucracies that merely defend their markets
    edited April 2020