Why does the 20" flat panel require OS X 10.2?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
"The 20-inch (diagonal) Apple Cinema Display shows two full pages of text, with room left over for menus and palettes. With a resolution of 1680 by 1050 pixels, the Apple Cinema Display is ideal for the demanding professional user. Requires Mac OS X v10.2."

Wha?

We were thinking of getting one of these at the office but I use OS9. (web and pre-press work)

Why the hell would this require Jaguar to run?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe because Apple is deathly afraid of pre-OS X 10.2 users. I mean, come on, it doesn't even work in 10.1 for chrissakes!

Actually, I'd be curious to see if it actually DOES work in OS 9 and they just slapped the requirement on there to persuade you to go to Jaguar. I mean, Apple's kinda on crack regarding system requirements. According to them iPhoto and iTunes require USB ports in order to function. That's completely not true, but I heard someone tell me their reasoning is that it's a way for them to make sure the performance is acceptable. So iTunes will run on any PCI-based Mac running OS 9 or later (Apple puts a system check, people have hacked iTunes onto 8.6 numerous times). But it runs acceptibly well on any Mac that happens to have USB ports, because all of those have at least a 233 MHz G3.

Maybe there's something similar going on - the 20" cinema uses the very odd resolution of 1680x1050. Perhaps it's usable in OS 9 and OS X 10.1 as well, but it has fewer resolutions available?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    It works under 9.22. Native resolution no problem as long as you run the latest nVidia or ATi drivers.

The brightness control, however, does NOT work under 9

why use 9 anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My thoughts exactly.

Classic Environment is peachy.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I mean, Apple's kinda on crack regarding system requirements. According to them iPhoto and iTunes require USB ports in order to function. That's completely not true, but I heard someone tell me their reasoning is that it's a way for them to make sure the performance is acceptable

Or the reason could be that iPhoto usually gets the photos from a digital camera connected via - tada - USB (and iTunes connects to MP3 players over USB).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    it's a fuzzy math thing

10.2 ----> 20"

geddit?

driver support and colorsync calibration are the only logical reasons I can think to try and keep it out of 9. ymmv.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    To convince OS 9 users to switch.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Because Apple neither wants to write drivers for outdated systems, nor guarantee that it'll work anyway. The 20 inch panel has an unusual resolution and therefore *may* require new drivers.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Because Apple neither wants to write drivers for outdated systems, nor guarantee that it'll work anyway. The 20 inch panel has an unusual resolution and therefore *may* require new drivers.

Exactly.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    ah HA!

So it does run in 9.2.2

Good.

Although we already decided to get a giant CRT instead.

And I didnt' start this to get into a 9.2.2 vs 10.2 discussion.

Adobe apps in OS X are too slow for a production environment.

and Quark in classic doesn't cut it.

Per i od.

//Drew