NYC schools pull the plug on Zoom following FBI warning

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Fatman said:
    Would love an article on how to completely purge this software from a Mac. I dragged to trash but suspect lingering files that this front for a Chinese spyware app has installed on my computer.
    AppCleaner is another alternative.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Beats said:
    I know Facetime isn't cross-platform but Apple needs to take some of their market/mindshare.
    Nobody has tried to zoom bomb us yet, but we can always password protect our meetings and/or kick out anyone we don't want, and I require attendees to be registered users which would certainly cut back on the number of Zoom-bombing incidents.
    1. Good move to avoid zoom-bombing, but zoom-bombing is the LEAST of the problems with Zoom.

2. This company has a history of incompetent/shady practices that stretch back to its very beginnings, and while their CEO is super-good at apologizing for the fuckups, there's zero indication or evidence that they don't simply fix issues once they're caught with their pants down.

3. Maybe they have genuinely had a come-to-Jesus moment and will work diligently to fix their crappy software, but anyone who thinks they aren't mining and monetizing the hell out of your data is just being naive.

At this point, you would have to be insane to put anything truly sensitive (especially in video form) on Zoom.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    I know Facetime isn't cross-platform but Apple needs to take some of their market/mindshare.
    Different use cases. FaceTime doesn't provide the vast majority of functionality that companies use - screen sharing, breakout rooms, hundreds of participants, the ability to mute everyone or individuals, file transfers, public/private chat, polling, and feedback. I moved from Webex with my previous employer to Zoom at my current employer, and much prefer Zoom. Am I concerned about privacy issues? Not particularly. Nobody has tried to zoom bomb us yet, but we can always password protect our meetings and/or kick out anyone we don't want, and I require attendees to be registered users which would certainly cut back on the number of Zoom-bombing incidents.

Yes, Zoom has screwed up. But I also think a lot of what's been reported is blown out of proportion.

This is my point. Apple has the greatest opportunity to expand Facetime now.
    Except that Apple doesn't seem interested in going cross platform. Which means Zoom users go to MS Teams instead