Apple Face Shield for medical workers has dedicated support pages

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has published new support pages advising on how to assemble, use, and clean the face shields it is producing and distributing to front-line healthcare employees combatting COVID-19.

Apple Face Shield

On Sunday, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed via Twitter that Apple was designing and producing face shields, with the intention of shipping them to medical workers dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. On Tuesday, Apple added new support pages to its website explaining how to use and care for the personal protective headwear.

The page titled "Assemble and adjust your Face Shield" outlines the item as being made of three parts: the Face Shield itself, a forehead band, and a latex-free silicone strap. The three-piece design and simple components are designed to pack flat to 100 per box, and can be assembled in less than two minutes.

According to the instructions, slots on the headband are aligned with similar versions on the Face Shield, depending on the size of the user's head. The silicone strap is then fed through the slots of both the Face Shield and the forehead band, in such a way that it can be easily adjusted, with the strap going behind the user's head.

Apple warns users to "wear the face shield in addition to other personal protective equipment.

For reusing and cleaning the Face Shield, Apple advises to avoid exposing the item to high heat, and to handle it gently to prevent drops and scratches. For sterilization, Apple states it is "evaluated to be compatible" with chemical cleaners containing 70% ethanol, 70% isopropyl alcohol, 6% bleach, or 3% hydrogen peroxide, though the bleach "may leave a residue."

Additional help is provided in the form of a video tutorial for assembly, a printable copy of the in-box instructions, and an email address.

The small-print disclaimer tells users to use appropriate personal protective equipment according to their institution's standards. The Face Shield is also not tested nor qualified to prevent or reduce infection, does not provide particulate filtration, isn't designed for surgical settings, and were not disinfected or cleaned by Apple before shipment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Cant’ wait to be reminded how evil Apple is... by you-know-who.
    mwhitekurai_kagetmayBeats
  • Reply 2 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    lkrupp said:
    Depends if the shields sport an Apple logo or not 😉
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 19
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

Could be a collectors item one day, lol 
    Beatsmacseekercaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    How did this product not leak?

I like how Tim announced it like he was onstage at a keynote. Very passionate and caring. That product page is slick. I wish Apple would sell these to the public for at least $1 plus shipping. I actually want one now and believe this would service the public.

Oh and "greedy Apple". 
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Never get the first version of a Apple product. Need to wait for version 2. Plus it’s way overpriced. /s
  • Reply 6 of 19
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I heard that Samsung tried to do the same thing, but their face shields snapped when you bent them and then burst into flames. 
    neilmRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Can I order one in space grey?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    It probably will overheat and throttle.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I heard that Samsung tried to do the same thing, but their face shields snapped when you bent them and then burst into flames. 
    Literally laughed out loud. 👍🏾
  • Reply 10 of 19
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I’m waiting for the laser engraved special red edition:-)

Apple has stepped up to the plate very well in this crisis. 
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Waiting for the fu**nuts at Youtube to bend it and claim it's weak.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Beats said:
     I wish Apple would sell these to the public for at least $1 plus shipping. I actually want one now and believe this would service the public.
    Finally, a place to put an Apple Sticker. I've got tons of them piling up. I'd like a couple myself. I think  if an N95 mask offers a civilian any protection, this shield should increase that, and possibly preserve the usefulness of your masks.  Clean the shield and quarantine a mask after each essential outing. 

Getting them to the public is probably more involved than to hospitals, fire departments, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Now pay your taxes Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Traditional Apple Instruction Manual modeled from Atari:
    "Avoid Klingons"

Updated version:
    "Avoid Corona Viruses"
  • Reply 15 of 19
    DJayDJay Posts: 1member
    Worldwide. ❤️👍 #NationalTrumpetAndCommanderInTweet
  • Reply 16 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Really? What company making these doesn’t have its name AND logo on them?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

tyler82 said:
    I don’t know if that post was serious or not. But if you’re not living under a rock, you should know that Apple is this countries biggest corporate taxpayer, which makes it the biggest taxpayer in the country.

Other countries have vast loopholes in their tax systems, sometimes deliberately designed in, which their own companies have exploited for decades without a mention. But when a large US based company also uses those loopholes, they make a big deal over it, and try to get as much money out of them as they can. That’s all without bothering to close said loopholes.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tyler82 said:
    They already do. That’s why Cook’s not in prison, and you’re flashing your ignorance on the internet. 

If you want them to pay more then change the law. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 19 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Beats said:
    How did this product not leak?

I like how Tim announced it like he was onstage at a keynote. Very passionate and caring. That product page is slick. I wish Apple would sell these to the public for at least $1 plus shipping. I actually want one now and believe this would service the public.

Oh and "greedy Apple". 
    Do they work with glasses? How about colors to match Apple Watch bands Along with matching Face Masks and PPEs.   This CoronaVirus could be with us up to 2 years.    People will like something of better design and quality.

Who knows how long it will till the stores open up.    Tesla should retrain their retail staff to do Process CoronaVirus tests for the next 6 months.