Image of 'iPhone 12' shows smaller notch, widgets on Home screen

Posted:
in iPhone
A new image appears to depict the "iPhone 12" with a significantly smaller notch, while simultaneously hinting that the rumored widgets being added to "iOS 14" could take up the same space as multiple Home screen icons.

Notch on an existing iPhone 11 Pro
Notch on an existing iPhone 11 Pro

Apple is rumored to be working on adding widgets to iOS, a development that would allow users to see more information from looking at their iPhone's Home screen without needing to navigate to another area. In an image shared by leaker @choco_bit on Twitter, the widgets will seemingly be available in a variety of different sizes.

The image shows representations of icons on the Home screen, but with some being rectangular and taking up the space of two icons, and others being larger and consuming four icon spots. While the image doesn't specify what these elements are, the most likely answer is that they are widgets.

Widget rumors in "iOS 14"surfaced on Sunday, with the feature allegedly known internally as "Avocado." Unliked pinned widgets as used in iPadOS 13, the rumored widgets will be repositionable by the user, similar to an app icon.

The latest image also involves another rumor, that Apple will be including a smaller notch in future iPhones. There has been speculation on this development since July 2019, which would involve Apple using a smaller TrueDepth camera array in the "iPhone 12" to enable Face ID, and the image proposes a notch that is roughly two thirds of the size of the current iteration.

As with another image posted on Sunday by @choco_bit relating to LiDAR, it is unclear what the source is for the image. If accurate, the most probable sources would be internal design documents or draft service manuals, though this cannot be verified.

The account is claimed to be operated by a former Apple Authorized Service Partner, which has also provided leaks on Apple products in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I always found widgets to be lacking and dis organized in iOS. 
  • Reply 2 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Notches are quickly looking more dated. If this is for a phone which is to cover the best part of 2021, it won't fare well on the design front with so many phones out there with tiny notches, holepunches etc. It will fare far worse if those bezels are representative of the screen to body ratio. 

Hopefully it is simply a basic mock-up and far from the real thing.
    chemengin1ralphieBeats
  • Reply 3 of 33
    In 10 years, the notch would disappear and blend into bezel..... I hope.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    We've had our iPhone 11s for about five months now. Honestly I hardly ever even notice the notch. It doesn't cause any problems. 
    SnickersMagooStrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    avon b7 said:
    Notches are quickly looking more dated. If this is for a phone which is to cover the best part of 2021, it won't fare well on the design front with so many phones out there with tiny notches, holepunches etc. It will fare far worse if those bezels are representative of the screen to body ratio. 

Even as an iPhone loyalist, I would say that it has been a long time since iPhone was the slickest looking design out there. But year after year, Apple continues to dominate where it matters most: handset profits. It took 66% of them globally last year... compared to distant second place Samsung at 17%. And every other handset maker fighting for the remaining scraps. This matters most because it shows that people around the world are willing to pay a premium for iPhones for one simple reason: the overall user experience of hardware, OS and apps together is the best. The iPhone remains a beautiful handset, no doubt, but delivering the best user experience--which may at times mean compromises like "the notch" for its industry-leading facial ID system--will always take precedent over slickness and useless features.
    80s_Apple_GuyBeatscaladanianwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 33
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:

Even as an iPhone loyalist, I would say that it has been a long time since iPhone was the slickest looking design out there. But year after year, Apple continues to dominate where it matters most: handset profits. It took 66% of them globally last year... compared to distant second place Samsung at 17%. And every other handset maker fighting for the remaining scraps. This matters most because it shows that people around the world are willing to pay a premium for iPhones for one simple reason: the overall user experience of hardware, OS and apps together is the best. The iPhone remains a beautiful handset, no doubt, but delivering the best user experience--which may at times mean compromises like "the notch" for its industry-leading facial ID system--will always take precedent over slickness and useless features.
    I contest that profit matters but has very little impact on phones unless the phones themselves are also ahead of the game, which is where it matters to the vast majority of users. Profits should not be even a passing thought to users unless they have a stake in the company or following the business side. Competitors have done more with less while also showing billions in profit.

Apple has done well in some areas but abysmally in others and unfortunately those areas are where users are most aware of the shortcomings.

Only a tiny fraction of the market is willing to pay a premium. Even on the Apple platform. That's why sales have been flat for four years and we are almost definitely going to see a new 'low cost' entrant to the iPhone line very soon.

The Apple ecosystem is equally matched elsewhere. To the point where people who use 'Android' are in an ecosystem without really even being aware of it. Yes, there are pros and contras to the different systems but not nearly enough to make people want to be on the other side. It basically boils down to preference nowadays.

Just look at the UWB situation on the new iPad. We can justify the lack of this or that chip on devices but when we speak of ecosystems or the 'it just works' mantra, the whole point of 'making' the whole widget' should make things cater to these situations. The 2017 iPhone X was the 'future' in the 'present' for many people but 11 months later it didn't have enough power to support all the features of the latest AR Kit at the time. The most expensive iPhone ever didn't 'future proof' its users from Apple's own advances. In the meantime the competition stormed ahead of Apple. Better, faster modems (Apple took a strategic decision that ended up hurting users because they lost access to the best technology). Better, faster charging technologies (something users have desperately needed for years but the iPhone 11 still ships with a 5W charger). Better, more versatile cameras (iPhone users lost out on camera versatility, as Huawei, Samsung and even Xiaomi stormed ahead. Better storage options. Over the last few years (especially 2017), base storage was simply inadequate with no way to extend it except by ordering more at purchase. Shell design. The less said about this subject the better. Biometrics? Biometrics are simply biometrics until you find other uses for them. The FaceID system shipped as a biometric authentication method - and nothing more. Competitors were using the 3D depth sensing component technology for more - from the outset. Most of the recent rumours about new Apple uses for this technology are already shipping on competing phones. Quite why they didn't ship at launch is a mystery.

I got my wife the XR but initially it was immediately struck off the upgrade list because it simply wasn't worth its price tag. After completely ruling that phone out, it seemed I wasn't alone, and Apple, for the first time in my memory at least, slapped discounted phones (via trade in) on its home page -  and before Christmas. I believe this move was unprecedented. I like to think that more users share my opinion and are wising up to what is on offer and are holding off until something comes along with more bang for buck. I also like to think that Apple is - very slowly - trying to catch up in those areas where it has lacked with regards to the competition. As a result, last year's phones offered far more than the previous year's offerings (including pricing, which in turn shoved pricing down on the generation prior to that). All positives to a point. They are not there yet but the signs are at least positive.

Personally, I have no issues with notches. Not even at the outset but everything in phone design ages and notches are already looking dated. As are thick bezels. The XR for example is heavy and the bezels were too thick even at launch IMO. 

I do not shy away from admitting I am very critical of where iPhone has been for the last four years. Some people are happy with how things have gone and things are getting better (albeit at a snail's pace) but the more critical people are the more Apple will react IMO - and faster.

chemengin1Beats
  • Reply 7 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    avon b7 said:

Yeah you’ve been saying that since there was a notch. And one day it just may be true. 
    fastasleepBeatswatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 33
    DAalseth said:
    We've had our iPhone 11s for about five months now. Honestly I hardly ever even notice the notch. It doesn't cause any problems. 
    Not unlike never noticing a rear-view-mirror as it takes up space in the windshield. You’re used to it in 3 seconds. 
    edited April 2020 caladanianfastasleepBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33

avon b7 said:
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:

I contest that profit matters but has very little impact on phones unless the phones themselves are also ahead of the game, which is where it matters to the vast majority of users. Profits should not be even a passing thought to users unless they have a stake in the company or following the business side. Competitors have done more with less while also showing billions in profit.
    No one suggests users should care about profits. Profits are cited because it’s proof positive that users like what Apple is offering and choose it time and time again, to the tune of the sweetest profits in the business. People vote with their wallets. 
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    avon b7 said:

Yeah you’ve been saying that since there was a notch. And one day it just may be true. 
    Actually, I haven't. I defended the use of the notch on both Apple and Android devices as it was a way to fill more of the screen.

However, it wasn't the only way to do that and alternatives arrived. So, much like foreheads and chins became dated, so have notches.

If the goal is to maximise screen to body ratios, that has already been done well into 90%+ by reducing bezels and in some cases completely eliminating the notch. There are compromises and preferences involved and if you want 3D depth sensing, at the very least, you have to aspire to getting the most screen available to users. Big bezels and prominent notches (even if you feel you need the technology) are going to be very dated in 2021 (the period iPhone 12 will have most prominence).

The images linked in this story already look dated. That's why I hope they aren't representative of the sizes.

I've come to like hole punch options but my preference, as I have made clear for a couple of years now, is for a slight bump at the top of the frame to house the necessary components. Like the curves on the Pismo PowerBooks. Just a more subtle curvature. 

One thing is for sure. No one ideally wants bezels or notches and the longer they are around and the bigger the bezels, the more they will look dated.
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 33
    antoanantoan Posts: 1member
    Notch? Why? I don't use faceid and I don't make selfies ... so why do I need to have a notch on my screen .... c'mon apple, you are better than this!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    4 circles = 3 cameras and 1 LIDAR. :smiley: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:

Who told you Apple cared about the iPhoneys out there? The only reason notches became "dated"(2 years old, wow) was because all the knockoffs rushed to copy it for no reason other than to fool idiots into thinking it's a real iPhone.

charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:

Even as an iPhone loyalist, I would say that it has been a long time since iPhone was the slickest looking design out there. 

Androids are also iPhone designs.

charlesn said:
    compromises like "the notch" for its industry-leading facial ID system--will always take precedent over slickness and useless features.

FaceID is the reason for the notch. The reason for the notch on Androids is to copy Apple. Just look at the manufacturers who tossed in a notch even though they have a chin!! lol
    StrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    4 circles = 3 cameras and 1 LIDAR. :smiley: 

I think eventually Apple will mix both technologies Truedepth and LiDAR.

antoan said:
    Notch? Why? I don't use faceid and I don't make selfies ... so why do I need to have a notch on my screen .... c'mon apple, you are better than this!

Apple should definitely ignore its 1 billion other users for you.
    StrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Who told you Apple cared about the iPhoneys out there? The only reason notches became "dated"(2 years old, wow) was because all the knockoffs rushed to copy it for no reason other than to fool idiots into thinking it's a real iPhone.

charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:

Even as an iPhone loyalist, I would say that it has been a long time since iPhone was the slickest looking design out there. 

Androids are also iPhone designs.

charlesn said:
    compromises like "the notch" for its industry-leading facial ID system--will always take precedent over slickness and useless features.

FaceID is the reason for the notch. The reason for the notch on Androids is to copy Apple. Just look at the manufacturers who tossed in a notch even though they have a chin!! lol
    Notches (be they on iPhones or Android devices) serve the same function: to free up the space around the central components (whatever they may be).

The first notches appeared before iPhone X. Sharp was probably the first to go down that route.

They all attempt to reach the same goal.

Apple's was wider to accommodate the 3D depth sensing components. 99% of Android notches are wide enough to cover the components within them. They go from the simplest expressions (front facing camera only - not even an ear speaker) through to the more complex offerings (including depth sensing - now appearing in punch holes too).

By today's (yes, Android standards) the Apple notches are big. So are the bezels. I fully expect them to get smaller (as this article suggests) but come 2021 they will look dated (especially if bezels aren't virtually eliminated from the phones).

You are free to not share my opinion. Hopefully, as I said earlier, both the notches and bezels will be greatly reduced.

Chins are chins. Notches are notches.
    Beats
  • Reply 16 of 33
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Actually, I haven't. I defended the use of the notch on both Apple and Android devices as it was a way to fill more of the screen.

However, it wasn't the only way to do that and alternatives arrived. So, much like foreheads and chins became dated, so have notches.

If the goal is to maximise screen to body ratios, that has already been done well into 90%+ by reducing bezels and in some cases completely eliminating the notch. There are compromises and preferences involved and if you want 3D depth sensing, at the very least, you have to aspire to getting the most screen available to users. Big bezels and prominent notches (even if you feel you need the technology) are going to be very dated in 2021 (the period iPhone 12 will have most prominence).

The images linked in this story already look dated. That's why I hope they aren't representative of the sizes.

I've come to like hole punch options but my preference, as I have made clear for a couple of years now, is for a slight bump at the top of the frame to house the necessary components. Like the curves on the Pismo PowerBooks. Just a more subtle curvature. 

One thing is for sure. No one ideally wants bezels or notches and the longer they are around and the bigger the bezels, the more they will look dated.
    You have claimed the the iPhone is dated, stale design, following not leading, since I can remember. And yet, all this time, your knockoffs keep copying it, year after year. Whatevs.

The use of the sensor cutout is what enables the lack of forehead or chin on iPhones. Currently, you either have a forehead or chin, or you cut out part of the screen. That's it. There's no other magic way to increase surface-to-screen ratios, until the time comes the tech can be put under the display screen. 
    edited April 2020 Beatsthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33

antoan said:
    Better than what? FaceID is better than TouchID because it enables me to have more screen for the size of my device. I don't need a finger print sensor on the chin; and using the sales metrics, most of Apple's customers agree. 

I doubt you even have an iPhone, amirite? Or are we to believe you just disabled the FaceID sensor on yours for kicks?
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You have claimed the the iPhone is dated, stale design, following not leading, since I can remember. And yet, all this time, your knockoffs keep copying it, year after year. Whatevs.

The use of the sensor cutout is what enables the lack of forehead or chin on iPhones. Currently, you either have a forehead or chin, or you cut out part of the screen. That's it. There's no other magic way to increase surface-to-screen ratios, until the time comes the tech can be put under the display screen. 
    That the iPhone looks dated has been the reality of the last few years. One shot at design modifications per year doesn't give you much flexibility to adapt to what the market is responding too. If, on top of that, you keep designs similar across models your options are further reduced.

We have to simply accept that. The next window of opportunity is towards the end of this year (unless there are delays). A long way off and the notch and bezels - right now - look dated because they are outsized by standards now.

As I said, the issue is not the cutout but the size of the 'cutout' (and bezels). The fact that there are many phones out there without any cutout at all simply accentuates the design issues. Phones that have no need for 3D depth sensing at all.

If you think the so called knock-offs (utterly incorrect term if ever there was one) are copying Apple 'year after year', I would have to ask how that is even possible seeing that Apple hasn't changed its designs substantially and Android phones have provided literally something for everyone, pushing bezels down, reducing notches, providing new forms, finishes, colours, textures etc.

Why not take a look at some of the quite frankly beautiful designs that have been brought to market over the last few years and throw them some praise?

gatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 33
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    avon b7 said:

Everyone who has as many sensors on front side as Apple has a notch or thick bezel. When there will technology available for MASS production that allows in reasonable price to put sensors under screen without compromising quality be sure Apple will ditch notch. Period.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    frantisek said:
    avon b7 said:

Everyone who has as many sensors on front side as Apple has a notch or thick bezel. When there will technology available for MASS production that allows in reasonable price to put sensors under screen without compromising quality be sure Apple will ditch notch. Period.
    Whatever sensors are required on the front of the device is not that relevant in terms of looking dated. 

The minute phones moved into 90%+ screen to body ratios and gave the impression of being 100%, things began to look dated with notches. We cannot get away from that. As alternative options came to market, notches became somewhat stale even. I'm talking about market mindset here. I have a notch on my phone and it isn't an issue in use but if I were looking to upgrade, things would be different. I would possibly opt for a holepunch design.

If you therefore want front 3D depth sensing as a 'must have' feature on a phone, you currently have a couple of options.

One is to simply make things smaller. This article is on that rumour.

The other, is to make the components smaller and move them into the frame. My personal preference.

Those two can be done today. At some point, it will probably go under the screen but the current large notch looks dated - now. It looked dated at release and if it doesn't change (unthinkable IMO) it will look like a kludge in 2021.

The Apple notch is not that big because it has to be that big. We know this because competitors with the same technology made their notches smaller last year, and smaller again this year. Those phones coming to market did nothing but highlight the bulkiness of the iPhone notch (and any other phone with a similarly bulky notch).

Everything is relative to a degree. The iPhone notch looks (today) like we imagined Pixel's strangely large notch when that was released.

Bezels have nothing to do with 3D depth sensing notches and once again competitors have already made them small enough to not even be a counterpoint in design terms.

We know people want smaller notches and bezels. There is no discussion on that. We know that there are competing phones out there with larger screens than the iPhone 11 Pro Max that feel smaller in the hand.

Knowing that, and seeing the svelte designs on other phones, simply makes the iPhone, which hasn't really changed its overall design in years anyway, look dated. There is no getting away from that.

The visual aspect of phones has to change to keep them in line with the times.

Times change of course and everything that is gorgeous today will not be necessarily gorgeous down the line. That means having the design that appeals to current tastes at the right time. Yes, there is a fashion element here. There always has been.

As I said, I hope these images are not representative of the 2020 iPhone.
    edited April 2020