Files Freezing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a stupid question possibly but I am new to a Mac so I just ask everything. Occasionally I can't move files around anymore when working in 10.2.4 with the latest security updates. It is not just on the desktop and not just limited to files. I can't remove cd's by moving them to trash or just arrange files even. I am on a Powerbook 867 15" and was just wondering if anyone knows what is going on. Unfortunately with all my work going on (new job and everything) I can't seem to ever find the time to just sit down and play with this thing.

Another problem I am having is that I can't seem to be able to let my PC's see my Mac on my lan even though my Mac can see my PC's. Is there something special I have to do on the Mac to make it show up on the network browser under Windows XP or is the problem on the Mac side? Someone please try and help me as I have asked some of these questions before and they never get answered. I'm not whining but I really do need the help.

Third problem added:

I can't seem to get a bookmark under Netscape to show its contents on the toolbar when I make it my personal bookmark folder. I have done the steps needed many times and after I do it, the files just don't display there. This is really annoying for me as I do not work well with the Bookmarks folder unless I have my default links to be able to easily click on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I too get the problem where drag and drop stops working. It usually occurs after some finder crashes, but I don't know it's cause. And the only solution is to reboot.

As for bookmarks, have you tried safari?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Yes I have tried Safari but I really want Tabbed browsing and Safari does not have that active just yet. Besides, the bookmark bar in Netscape should be working and that is the real issue here. I know I can use something else but I shouldn't have to. Any other people want to throw their 2 cents into this? I really do need some help.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    As far as the LAN thing goes, in your system preferences, the Sharing preferences. You have to turn on Windows File Sharing, is that on?

For your first problem, I've heard nasty things about 10.2.4 and some people are staying at 10.2.3 but I updated and haven't had any problems. What privileges do you have in the account you are using? You may not be allowed to move files, are you using the Admin account that was created when you first set it up? Or you could also try to repair the permissions, which is what a bunch of people here will you to try first for problems like these, using the First Aid tab in the Disk Utility application in the Applications/Utilities folder.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Is there a way for me to move back to 10.2.3? I kind of figure there is not. Also I am using the admin account as I am the only one that uses the computer. None of my other friends know about Apple's.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The broken drag-and-drop is not related specifically to 10.2.4. It is a very rare bug that has cropped up since the first version of 10.2. To fix it, delete the following folders and reboot the computer:

/Library/Caches

/Users/yourname/Library/Caches

As for 10.2.4 issues, I have yet to see *any* problems myself. I think whatever problems there are must only affect a few of the people on notebooks. Even those reports are few and far between. There is no easy way to revert to an older version of the system software.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Brad:

Thanks that did work for the file problem. Also I got the other mistake fixed I think. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Netscape bookmark problem that I am having right now. Is there any time frame on when the new beta Safari will be out with tabbed browsing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The Final release of Safari will probably be out the same time as 10.3, which may be late summer, or sometime around there...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Reinstall Netscape.

Or try Mozilla 1.3. I have just installed this version and it's fine. Always used it over Netscape. Seems the same to me. You can probably move all your Netscape stuff over to it.

Mozilla 1.3 for OS X Download link.

I'd prefer Safai too. But it still needs a lot of work.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dazzledazzle Posts: 5member
    For Brad

I have the problem of not being able to drag folders/files. I tried your fix and the problem remains and now all my icons have gone. Any help would be welcome!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I have in the past fixed the broken drag/drop with just restarting Finder. I think that once or twice I had to reboot, but I can't remember if I had tried to restart Finder at all. I haven't had any of these problems since I upgraded from 10.2.3 to 10.2.6 so maybe something they changed fixed it? I used to get it more frequently than to say it was a 'rare' occurrence.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dazzledazzle Posts: 5member
    The file freezing problem has happened twice on me. The first time in 10.2.3 and the second in 10.2.6. On both occasions I had to reinstall the system software!

My PowerBook only came back from repair yesterday and it still overheats and I now have a loudspeaker problem. On start-up the apple sound is badly distorted, also when I played an audio C.D. that too sounded terrible.

I visited a business yesterday they run P.C.'s and the guy I was talking to had his Lap-Top running allthe time and we could here the fan running constantly. Does the 12" have a fan and does that run all the time and can it be heard?

Dazzle