Surface Neo, Windows 10X reportedly won't ship in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft may be forced to delay the release of the Surface Neo and Windows 10X as a whole to focus on single-screen uses, according to sources within Microsoft.

In October of 2019, Microsoft revealed a future product that it didn't plan on shipping until 2020 -- the Surface Neo. It consisted of a dual-screen notebook with an extra keyboard and stylus support. The devices were set to ship with Microsoft's new branch of Windows called Windows 10X.

On Thursday, rumors surfaced that Microsoft's Chief Product Officer Panos Panay had said the Surface Neo dual-screen Windows 10X devices wouldn't ship in 2020. Microsoft intends Windows 10X as a new, modern form of Windows 10 designed from the ground-up for dual-screen device. Furthermore, it guts many of the older Windows 10 features in favor of increased security and a more streamlined experience.

Dual-screen devices with Windows 10X were slated to ship around the holiday season of 2020. Likely due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Microsoft appears to have fallen behind in developing the Surface Neo and Windows 10X.

Microsoft has allegedly said they would not be allowing third-party dual-screen devices to ship with Windows 10X either, according to ZDNet.

In February, Microsoft had stated that they were hit hardest in their "More Personal Computing Segment," a part of the company that deals with Windows licensing, accessories, all of Microsoft's gaming initiatives, and Surface hardware.

Microsoft has not as of yet commented on the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Did anyone actually expect the Surface Neo to come out this year? How convenient to blame it on something nobody will question. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Japhey said:
    Did anyone actually expect the Surface Neo to come out this year? How convenient to blame it on something nobody will question. 
    To be clear, Microsoft have not blamed it on COVID-19, that is currently just speculation.
    yuck9williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:
    To be clear, Microsoft have not blamed it on COVID-19, that is currently just speculation.
    Well, one of the desigers was sick, and the other didn't want to work alone...
    williamlondontobianrazorpitGG1ca_mac_mini
  • Reply 4 of 8
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:
    Man, I’m going to have to up my reading comprehension. Skipped over that bit, thanks. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Microsoft may be forced to delay the release of the Surface Neo and Windows 10X as a whole to focus on single-screen uses, according to sources within Microsoft.

In October of 2019, Microsoft revealed a future product that it didn't plan on shipping until 2020 -- the Surface Neo. It consisted of a dual-screen notebook with an extra keyboard and stylus support. The devices were set to ship with Microsoft's new branch of Windows called Windows 10X.

On Thursday, rumors surfaced that Microsoft's Chief Product Officer Panos Panay had said the Surface Neo dual-screen Windows 10X devices wouldn't ship in 2020. Microsoft intends Windows 10X as a new, modern form of Windows 10 designed from the ground-up for dual-screen device. Furthermore, it guts many of the older Windows 10 features in favor of increased security and a more streamlined experience.

Dual-screen devices with Windows 10X were slated to ship around the holiday season of 2020. Likely due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Microsoft appears to have fallen behind in developing the Surface Neo and Windows 10X.

Microsoft has allegedly said they would not be allowing third-party dual-screen devices to ship with Windows 10X either, according to ZDNet.

In February, Microsoft had stated that they were hit hardest in their "More Personal Computing Segment," a part of the company that deals with Windows licensing, accessories, all of Microsoft's gaming initiatives, and Surface hardware.

Is that display glass or plastic?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I want to see Surface Neo’s scratch/drop test, so I’m a bit bummed it’s delayed.

I have no interest buying one, but I’m in the mood for (watching) a train wreck... that isn’t related to the coronavirus.

At least there’s YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0PQaA2YJg
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I had to look this thing up, not sure I saw anything back when it was announced (or did I?). I guess I tend to assume all these things are prototypes we may never see, or may come out for a few months and disappear as seems to happen quite a bit in the non-Apple world.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-duo

I gotta say, the hardware design looks nice. The flipover keyboard on the larger one looks kinda cool, hard to tell without seeing one in person. The smaller one is pretty slick. I A couple things I noticed in the software was that it's weird seeing the Google search bar and not Bing, is that an Android level thing? Also, the app launcher sure the fuck looks a lot like springboard on iPad. 

Either way, Microsoft has some nice looking hardware here. I won't buy it, but some people will. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    When has Microsoft ever honoured one of their launch dates? Since the beginning their normal operating procedure is to pre-announce and miss every deadline they promise, sometimes by forever. Shipping late or not at all is part of their DNA.

With this one, I'm sure, however, they're in production mode now and the manufacturing of these devices as they try and stockpile them in the 10s and 100s of millions is under threat due to the virus affecting parts of the planet where fabrication facilities are located.  :D
    watto_cobra