Apple engineers reportedly testing new prototype AirPower with A11 processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The more power the better. I don't know why this bothers people. Same was said about HomePod.

And no, this chip won't add $100 to the price tag.
    StrangeDayscornchiplolliver
  • Reply 22 of 58
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    spheric said:
    jjjjjjjj said:
    Why would monitoring heat need an A11 processor?

What is it so complicated that you need such a powerful (and presumably expensive?) CPU?
    If only there were an article somewhere that one could read, and that could help explain these questions...
    Yeah, but the AI article regarding it makes zero sense and doesn't go into any actual detail.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    smack416 said:
    Here's the thing I discovered using a similar, flat charging matt. The way the sport watch bands sit, if you lay the watch flat, it starts to lift up in the middle, pulling the back of the watch far enough away from the matt that it doesn't consistently charge. Also, your sport loop or other closed watch band will prevent you from charging unless you take at least one end off. So a flat AirPower may not be able to charge the watch without removing the bands. Not ideal.
    Sport loop bands are easily turned inside out. 
    cornchipStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 24 of 58
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    An A11? I wonder how that might affect pricing and if they plan to add more (expandable?) functionality to it to squeeze more out of the A11. Or if it it will be a stripped back version of the A11.

For the rumoured functionality at present, it seems there should be no end of chips on the market to handle those areas.
    More than likely, the A11 was chosen as it has the first dedicated Neural Engine in an A Series SOC, and I would speculate that it is a binned part at a lower clock than the iPhone.
    Not only that, the A11 is a hexa-core CPU, with two high-performance Monsoon cores and four energy-efficient Mistral cores. They could be using just one or two of the Mistral cores in a binned part. The GPU and motion co-processors don't need to be active.

tmay is probably right, the Neural Engine hardware is more efficient than the CPU and GPU for certain tasks and it may find a use here.

Or it could be a prototype stand-in if they are expecting a dedicated chip. Apple already has designed a bunch of customized chips beyond the well-publicized A series SoCs found in iPhones and iPads.
    edited April 2020 cornchipgregoriusmrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    So this means we’re now relying on software to stop it bursting into flames?  

Mmmm. 

All lithium chargers have some sort of computer circuit to regulate charging, if it isn’t built into the device, so that things won’t overheat and explode.
    Yes, good point. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Reminds me of another device (much bigger) that was trying to solve a physical design limitation with software. Will you trust it unattended to not set your house on fire?
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Sounds like Apple is exploring a proprietary solution to wireless charging.

Is wireless charging necessary to expand the wearables market?  

Sure seems like it.  That’s why Apple isn’t letting this go even after previous failures.  It’s strategically necessary to make this work, and is probably holding up numerous other product ideas.

Good luck Apple!
    cornchipJaphey
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Come on, people, you’re missing the obvious. The HomePod uses an A8, which is massive overkill for a speaker. Unless you take into account beamforming and real-time signal processing.

The A11 is likely required to perform the necessary processing to allow beamforming. This would allow a device to be charged anywhere on a pad and the minimum number of coils would be active to send power to the exact location your device is sitting.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Sounds like Apple is exploring a proprietary solution to wireless charging.

Is wireless charging necessary to expand the wearables market?  

Sure seems like it.  That’s why Apple isn’t letting this go even after previous failures.  It’s strategically necessary to make this work, and is probably holding up numerous other product ideas.

Good luck Apple!
    Doesn't really sound like that at all to me.  Sounds more like they may have finally found a way to make their already proprietary AW wireless charging work in conjunction with standard Qi wireless charging, which is what they use on the iPhones and AirPods.  It was rumored back when they cancelled AirPower the AW charging was the culprit in the cancellation (it's what I believed too). The proprietary signal didn't play nice with the standard Qi signal and things got heated - literally and metaphorically.  Based on this rumor, it seems the A11 can referee the signal noise and keep the heat down to acceptable levels. 

I doubt they'll go proprietary again.  Makes no sense. I could be wrong, but... 
  • Reply 30 of 58
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Wow.  I guessed the original AirPower employed this strategy from the start.  I suppose it was not as sophisticated as expected.

The laws of physics can't change, so the central problem all along has been how to manage the output from the multiple overlapping coils needed to allow free placement.

Aira appears to have the most advanced technology in this area with FreePower, so maybe Apple should just consider writing a check for the company.

And the sooner that Apple frees the Watch from its captive puck, and proprietary charging, the better.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sjworld said:
    Umm that’s gonna be an expensive charging pad. Although ones from Belkin and Nomad are pretty steep too. 
    It’s Apple so it will sell. They can polish a turd, slap their logo on it, and BOOM!!...sold for $299.99.
    Oh, the “But Apple is all just marketing!” troll trope. Been a while. Sorry, but no...you’re full of so much “nonsense”. If you think Apple products are turds why are you here whining about them every day? Talk about neurosis. 
    edited April 2020 cornchipwatto_cobrafastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 32 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Is there any advantage to charging an AW flat?  Every charging solution that I've seen, that looks even remotely functional, has the AW being charged at a right angle or at 15-30 degrees.  It would seem awkward to charge an AW on a flat mat and it loses any of the utility of the screen.  Place anywhere charging is a solved problem.  Incorporating the AW charging only seems to add complexity with no tangible benefit.  To me this seems more like an exercise that answers the question of "Why?" with "because we can".
    Not at all. Placing the watch flat allows for one charging mat to charge all three devices without the need for another charging cable or weird arm/dock jutting out. For a travel solution this is ideal — one cable, one mat, next to no space. So far no product does this. Day 1 buy. 
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Come on, people, you’re missing the obvious. The HomePod uses an A8, which is massive overkill for a speaker. Unless you take into account beamforming and real-time signal processing.

The A11 is likely required to perform the necessary processing to allow beamforming. This would allow a device to be charged anywhere on a pad and the minimum number of coils would be active to send power to the exact location your device is sitting.
    Guess it will allow us to move around devices at a 22mio times per second
  • Reply 34 of 58
    smack416 said:
    Here's the thing I discovered using a similar, flat charging matt. The way the sport watch bands sit, if you lay the watch flat, it starts to lift up in the middle, pulling the back of the watch far enough away from the matt that it doesn't consistently charge. Also, your sport loop or other closed watch band will prevent you from charging unless you take at least one end off. So a flat AirPower may not be able to charge the watch without removing the bands. Not ideal.
    What flat charging mat are you using that charges an Apple Watch (that isn’t using some weird way to basically integrate the charging puck that comes with every Apple Watch)?
    razorpitwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Is there any advantage to charging an AW flat?  Every charging solution that I've seen, that looks even remotely functional, has the AW being charged at a right angle or at 15-30 degrees.  It would seem awkward to charge an AW on a flat mat and it loses any of the utility of the screen.  Place anywhere charging is a solved problem.  Incorporating the AW charging only seems to add complexity with no tangible benefit.  To me this seems more like an exercise that answers the question of "Why?" with "because we can".
    The advantage isn’t in charging the AW in a horizontal position. The advantage is that I can have one place to put my AW, iPhone and AirPods every night when I go to bed. If this product sees the light of day that place will be on my nightstand, directly next to my bed.

Currently I have an iPhone dock next to my bed and my Apple Watch charger on my dresser. I use the dock to charge my AirPods when it it’s free of charging my phone. The AW charger (or a Lightning cable without a dock) is constantly slipping off of whatever surface I place it on so I have to find something to put the cable under to keep it in place. All of that is a little bit of pain. My wife found some little clip thing that attaches to her nightstand and can keep 3 Lightning cables in place but it’s kinda ugly, inelegant and still looks messy with cables everywhere.

Having one mat that uses one cable but charges 3 devices would be a welcome change. I imagine the mat would be heavy enough not to slide around from the weight of the cable attached to it. Another plus is that I would have 1 thing to pack when I travel.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 36 of 58
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    tht said:
    spheric said:
    jjjjjjjj said:

What is it so complicated that you need such a powerful (and presumably expensive?) CPU?
    If only there were an article somewhere that one could read, and that could help explain these questions...
    Yeah, but the AI article regarding it makes zero sense and doesn't go into any actual detail.
    If you cannot make sense of 
    "Using the A11," he continues, "this new prototype has the ability to route power to specific coil regions and can dynamically wait for temperatures to drop before applying more power - preventing it from overheating."
    while at the same time feeling that this explanation is lacking in detail, then this article is both too technical and too basic at the same time. 

„To manage power supplied to the individual coils depending upon temperature“ seems like a pretty useful description to me. 
    watto_cobralollivertmay
  • Reply 37 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    AI_lias said:
    Reminds me of another device (much bigger) that was trying to solve a physical design limitation with software. Will you trust it unattended to not set your house on fire?
    Well considering I already trust the software in my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro to not burn my house down, I’m going to say yes on this.
    cornchipwatto_cobralollivertmay
  • Reply 38 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

The HomePod could easily use a more powerful SoC. It isn’t just a speaker, its a hub for HomeKit, Siri, etc. eventually Apple seems to want it to play an even bigger role, according to their statements.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 58
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    jjjjjjjj said:

Do you really think Apple threw it in there for shits and giggles? If they added it then it must be necessary.  Read the article to find out what those reasons are. 
    edited April 2020 cornchipwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 40 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sjworld said:
    Umm that’s gonna be an expensive charging pad. Although ones from Belkin and Nomad are pretty steep too. 
    It’s Apple so it will sell. They can polish a turd, slap their logo on it, and BOOM!!...sold for $299.99.
    And what does it say about someone like you, who takes the energy register and continually post on a forum that, in your own words, is dedicated to a company that has achieved it success and reputation by "polishing turds"? You fucking worthless troll.
    StrangeDaysGG1watto_cobralolliver