Apple's new iPhone 12 may look like an iPad Pro; smaller HomePods in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
A new report claims to have details on Apple's revamped hardware lineup, from AirTags, and the "iPhone 12," to a new, smaller, and cheaper HomePod.

The iPad Pro has flat edges, a design feature that may be inherited by the iPhone 12
The iPad Pro has flat edges, a design feature that may be inherited by the iPhone 12

Backing up previous accounts of Apple's hardware plans, a new report claims to have details from sources who have seen prototypes of the company's next revisions to the iPhone and HomePod, as well as the forthcoming AirTags.

According to Bloomberg, Apple may be planning to release four new iPhones at the end of this year. Two will include top-end models, replacing the current iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. And it may include two lower-end models, both of which are intended to replace the present iPhone 11.

The two higher-end ones, and possibly all four models, are expected to have flattened stainless steel edges to replace the current more rounded sides. This plus more sharply rounded corners would make the new chassis of these iPhones resemble both the current, and the iPhone 5 from 2012.

Apple is expected to add the LiDAR scanner from the iPad Pro to the iPhone Pro models, which will continue to have three rear cameras. The lower-end models will retain their current two rear cameras.

The replacement for the iPhone 11 Pro Max is believed to have a screen that is slightly bigger than the 6.5-inch one used today, and the Face ID notch is expected to be less pronounced.

While these new models would ordinarily be the ones unveiled at a September event, Bloomberg says that some models may be released many weeks later than usual. They are still expected in the Fall, though.

Reportedly, a new HomePod willl be half the size of the current one
Reportedly, a new HomePod willl be half the size of the current one

The publication's sources say that a new HomePod is planned for around the same time, too. This is said to be around half the size of the current HomePod, although otherwise similar in design. It's also expected to be sold at a lower price, and in some way to offer additional music services.

Bloomberg reports that the expected AirTags will be sold with a keychain and leather sleeve. It further says that Apple is also working on a revised iMac, and MacBook Pro model, plus a new Apple TV, and budget iPads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Yeah, the big HomePod was SUCH a hit, we need a small one. 

Make it work with a typical TV or shut it down. 
    williamlondongoodbyeranch13485chemengin1muthuk_vanalingamlkruppentropystyler82
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Great news! ...I will love the stainless steel edges. 

The power/Siri-button should be a bit higher. I Hit it too often by accident. 

Curious if the change to USB-C will come before true wireless becomes reality. 
  • Reply 3 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Can't wait for the smaller HomePod to fill out the rest of my house.
    sailorpauldavencornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    No new details?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 181member, administrator, moderator, editor

It’s sold enough that Apple has about a 5% market share for smart speakers. That’s pretty good considering you can get six Alexa speakers for the price of one HomePod.

A smaller, cheaper speaker would close the gap further. I’d be willing to bet that Apple has made their money back with the HomePod, while not a smashing success, it has its place.

If they eventually arrive somewhere around 10% of the smart speaker market, the HomePod was worth it. 
    williamlondonmike1davenjbdragonpujones1jahbladejony0StrangeDayswatto_cobradelreyjones
  • Reply 6 of 49

I ca't help but get the impression that you don’t get what the HomePod is for. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 7 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member

I help but get the impression that you don’t get what the HomePod is for. 
    I think part of his criticism is precisely that it should be for more. It would be nice if they widened its scope a bit. A smaller version makes sense as long as it doesn't cost a fortune to have a main unit and a few smaller secondary units for smaller rooms. 
    edited April 2020 anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 49

Huh? No one uses the Google Home or Amazon Echo devices as soundbars, not even the Home Max/Echo Studio devices that cost about as much as a HomePod. So there was no expectation for Apple to come out with a device that is actually cheaper than all good soundbars (or good stereo systems) just so people can hook them up to their Roku smart TVs and save a bit of money. Apple wanted the HomePod to be a HomeKit ecosystem device, full stop.
    jbdragondewmepujones1roundaboutnowjahbladewilliamlondonjony0cornchiplolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    There is a separate reason for a lower cost HomePod:   Apple needs an affordable Hub for HomeKit.   Right now the choices are:   iPad (on which the battery can go dead making it worthless) or Apple TV or Homepod.

The AppleTV still sports an A8 processor and Apple's TV+ is being installed on smart TVs, so that does not sound like AppleTV has bright future with Apple.
    So, that leaves HomePod as the best choice for a hub -- but who wants to pay $300 for a hub?

Actually, I think, what Apple needs to do is develop a router that can also function as a HomeKit hub.   Now that would be useful.
    right_said_fredpujones1stevewhitemdJapheylorin schultzentropys
  • Reply 10 of 49
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member

It’s sold enough that Apple has about a 5% market share for smart speakers. That’s pretty good considering you can get six Alexa speakers for the price of one HomePod.

A smaller, cheaper speaker would close the gap further. I’d be willing to bet that Apple has made their money back with the HomePod, while not a smashing success, it has its place.

If they eventually arrive somewhere around 10% of the smart speaker market, the HomePod was worth it. 
    5% market share for an Apple device is "pretty good"?  Sounds like a FAILURE to me.
    The fact you can get 6 Alexa speakers for the price of one HomePod says something about the price of the HomePod.  But considering that is sort of an Apples/Oranges comparison, it's not really fair.
    The biggest issue with the HomePod is it lacks so much compatibility with non-Apple services and devices.  THAT's why it has only 5% market share.  A smaller HomePod isn't going to change that unless Apple makes some big changes.  Put a battery in it and make it work like every other BT speaker out there.
    edited April 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

Why ? It’s not a surround speaker. It’s has never been advertised or marketed for that use.  It also works fine via Airplay if you actually wanted to try.  I personally  prefer a soundbar or component system when I watch movies.  I use the HomePod for music. 

Seems most of the major tv manufacturers are making tv’s that are airplay 2 compatible. Here is some info from early last year ...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/18173637/tv-airplay-2-apple-lg-samsung-sony-vizio-ces-2019

Here is some info on compatible tv’s from February of this year as well..

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1580796087

williamlondonlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    ITGUYINSD said:

5% market share for an Apple device is "pretty good"?  Sounds like a FAILURE to me.
    The fact you can get 6 Alexa speakers for the price of one HomePod says something about the price of the HomePod.  But considering that is sort of an Apples/Oranges comparison, it's not really fair.
    The biggest issue with the HomePod is it lacks so much compatibility with non-Apple services and devices.  THAT's why it has only 5% market share.  A smaller HomePod isn't going to change that unless Apple makes some big changes.  Put a battery in it and make it work like every other BT speaker out there.
    No The price of Alexa devices says they are cheap ass vice assistants. HomePod is a top notch audio speaker.  That’s what that pricing says to me. 
    chabigmike1roundaboutnowjahbladewilliamlondonBeatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49

Why ? It’s not a surround speaker. It’s has never been advertised or marketed for that use.  It also works fine via Airplay if you actually wanted to try.  I personally  prefer a soundbar or component system when I watch movies.  I use the HomePod for music. 

Seems most of the major tv manufacturers are making tv’s that are airplay 2 compatible. Here is some info from early last year ...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/18173637/tv-airplay-2-apple-lg-samsung-sony-vizio-ces-2019

GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Flat sides on the iPhone could allow for a less pronounced notch since you can put components closer to the edge.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    There is a separate reason for a lower cost HomePod:   Apple needs an affordable Hub for HomeKit.   Right now the choices are:   iPad (on which the battery can go dead making it worthless) or Apple TV or Homepod.

The AppleTV still sports an A8 processor and Apple's TV+ is being installed on smart TVs, so that does not sound like AppleTV has bright future with Apple.
    So, that leaves HomePod as the best choice for a hub -- but who wants to pay $300 for a hub?

Actually, I think, what Apple needs to do is develop a router that can also function as a HomeKit hub.   Now that would be useful.
    A lower-cost HomePod options would be great, but I still wouldn't get one unless Apple made Siri for that device better. I'd really love to stop supporting Amazon in every possible facet as Jeff Bezos has turned out to a horrible human being. Not as bad as Trump (as least Bezos can run a successful business), but still not someone worth supporting. Unfortunately, a cost-benefit analysis of using Amazon for a variety of reasons still needs to be a part of my workflow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Thank you armchair executive. Glad you don't actually run Apple! HomePod was entirely worth it. I think you completely misunderstand why HomePod exists. 

Not every single Apple product needs to have iPhone success nor will it. Some of you just can't understand that. 
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondonmike1lolliverRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 49
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I’d be happy if it worked with AppleTV, Sometimes it works great, sometimes I lose the ability to adjust the volume with the remote, and other times it drops connection completely.
    gentooguy said:

Huh? No one uses the Google Home or Amazon Echo devices as soundbars, not even the Home Max/Echo Studio devices that cost about as much as a HomePod. So there was no expectation for Apple to come out with a device that is actually cheaper than all good soundbars (or good stereo systems) just so people can hook them up to their Roku smart TVs and save a bit of money. Apple wanted the HomePod to be a HomeKit ecosystem device, full stop.
    Am I suppose to ignore the HomePod option AppleTV give me because you said so?

We don’t agree on a lot but I do agree on the router. Apple dropped the ball on this big time.
    jcs2305 said:

Apple presents the HomePod as a speaker, so yes, they do expect you to use is as a sound bar for the AppleTV. Is it full surround sound? Obviously no, but for those that want something a little better than their TV speakers it is pretty awesome.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 18 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I hope Apple doesn't bring back the chamfered edge on the iPhone. I cannot stand that. Its just a scratch magnet and doesn't really look all that great in my opinion. Hopefully now that Jony is gone things like that will be gone too. 
  • Reply 19 of 49
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    ITGUYINSD said:

You have to keep in mind that Echos come in many sizes, only one or two of which competes with the HomePod (the two at the top end). The rest are entry devices into the Alexa virtual assistant, which is an entire war altogether that Apple is losing: Alexa works very well, and is a big part of your everyday life, while Siri sux and is used only sparsely. Alexa has the mindshare here, and Apple would do good to release a cheap device only for people to access Siri, and make Siri useful to everyday life. So these are two different things, pricey high-end audio vs. ubiquitous virtual assistant that works well, some on devices that are pretty good for audio, too (at least good enough for their price).
  • Reply 20 of 49
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    People will buy iPhone with either rounded or square edges. Both look great but I like to see the change to bring back iPhone 4 kind design/look..
    AI_lias