More data suggests Mac shipments declined double digits in Q1

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2020
A second examination of the global PC market is corroborating earlier reports that Apple's Mac lineup struggled during the first quarter of 2020, with IDC saying its data is pointing to a more than 20% drop in shipments year-over-year.

MacBook Air 2020

The continued coronavirus pandemic has fundamentally changed the way people work, as well as raising demand for computers around the world. Despite this need for in-home computing driven by social distancing policies, the PC industry as a whole ultimately suffered during the first quarter.

In analysis from IDC released on Monday, the global PC market declined 9.8% year over year in the first quarter, achieving a total of 53.2 million shipments. IDC believes the decline after a year of growth throughout 2019 was due to a reduced supply of computers, caused by extended factory shutdowns in February because of the coronavirus, and a slow resumption of manufacturing.

For Apple specifically, it is thought to have seen shipments drop from 3.9 million in Q1 2019 to 3.1 million in Q1 2020, equalling a reduction of 20.7% year-on-year. According to IDC, this was one of the "largest drops in recent history" for the company, with Mac production being "one of the hardest hit by the shutdown of factories."

IDC PC shipments chart Q1 2020

The inability to supply products at a time of high demand is temporarily an issue for the industry at large, but should go back to normal relatively soon. "However, this bump in demand may be short-lived," warns IDC research manager Jitesh Ubrani, "as many fear the worst is yet to come and this could lead to both consumers and businesses tightening spending in the coming months."

The view by IDC is very similar to one offered by Canalys on Saturday, who proposed global PC shipments fell 8% year-on-year, while Apple's shipments dropped from 4 million to 3.2 million units, or a 21% annual fall in shipments.

The accuracy of either prediction will be tested at the end of April, when Apple offers its quarterly financial results. While Apple will not reveal unit shipments, the revenue will still act as an indicator for the fortunes of the Mac arm

Furthermore, IDC believes there will be "longstanding positive consequences" once the dust settles. "Businesses that once primarily kept their users on campus will have to invest in remote infrastructure, at the very least, for continuity purposes," said research vice president Linn Huang, while "consumers stuck at home have had to come to terms with how important it is to keep tech up to date. This should provide a steady, long-range tailwind for PC and monitor markets, among other categories."

In terms of other major PC vendors, HP was the closest to Apple in terms of decline with 13.8%, followed by Acer with 9.9% and Lenovo at 4.3%. Dell saw relative stability, with growth of 1.1%. Apple also saw its market share decline in the period, from 6.6% for Q1 2019 to 5.8% in Q1 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    At least the first two quarters of this year are going to show blips of varying degrees. Some manufacturers will see gains while others will see losses. If there is a silver lining, it's that no one is going to have much protection against the turbulence.

Here is Spain, retail outlets remain closed and will stay that way until the end of the month at the very least. Luckily, online sales are unaffected save for any supply issues. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    Is it part of a potentially larger issue? tresorit.com/blog/trust-in-tech-giants-is-broken/
  • Reply 3 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    avon b7 said:
    At least the first two quarters of this year are going to show blips of varying degrees. Some manufacturers will see gains while others will see losses. If there is a silver lining, it's that no one is going to have much protection against the turbulence.

Here is Spain, retail outlets remain closed and will stay that way until the end of the month at the very least. Luckily, online sales are unaffected save for any supply issues. 
    Apple's quarterly financial call on April 30th will be very interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Apple Insider has spent years rightfully railing editorially against the often wildly inaccurate forecasts for Apple hardware by IDC (especially) and others, in which certain doom awaits [INSERT ANY APPLE PRODUCT HERE] at the end of each quarter... while at the same time, AI continues to dutifully present their every pronouncement as factual news to be taken seriously. Which leads me to wonder: do the writers at AI ever bother to read their own site? 
    macplusplusFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Not that it matters, but my company just bought four last month.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    charlesn said:
    Apple Insider has spent years rightfully railing editorially against the often wildly inaccurate forecasts for Apple hardware by IDC (especially) and others, in which certain doom awaits [INSERT ANY APPLE PRODUCT HERE] at the end of each quarter... while at the same time, AI continues to dutifully present their every pronouncement as factual news to be taken seriously. Which leads me to wonder: do the writers at AI ever bother to read their own site? 
    Well, judging by the mistakes that should be picked up during copy-editing, I’d say no 
    tmaymacpluspluscharlesnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 14

avon b7 said:

Apple's quarterly financial call on April 30th will be very interesting.
    And possibly a buying opportunity for the long-termers 

That wasn’t financial advice by the way. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I wonder if IDC adjusted their figures when they read the Canalys report. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Would first quarter be when the MBP16 came out?
    Not that I would usually believe these wild arse guesses from IDC and the like, but up until the 16 inch I think Apple had boxed itself into a very bad corner laptop wise. There are promising signs of turn around in recent laptop releases. Even on price. Price! Which may be a reaction to what is actually going on, and for once IDC has picked up on it.

edited April 2020
  • Reply 10 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Is it part of a potentially larger issue? tresorit.com/blog/trust-in-tech-giants-is-broken/
    No.
    Carnage
  • Reply 11 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Probably true. With the release of the 16” MacBook Pro last year no one, except those with no choice or an absolute fool, would have bought a MacBook Air or 13” MacBook Pro as all knew the abortion of a keyboard design was finally getting fixed.

The Air and 13” MacBook Pro make up most of the volume of sales, so yes, totally possible if not even probable.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Price, non upgradability, bad design choices (pointless Touch Bar, horrible keyboard, paucity of ports).
    davgreg
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Apple's offerings are some of the worst price-to-specs, so if consumers on a tight budget are looking for value and don't care about OS, then I wouldn't be surprised by this. Or else maybe the Mac people are finally just buying iPads.
    davgreg
  • Reply 14 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I prefer a desktop Mac over any mobile device but there really is nothing much to justify buying what they sell.

The upgrades are not different enough to justify pulling the trigger. I want a Mac Pro but want to see and use one before ordering one through the Veterans and Military Store where I get a discount.

I would love to see a BTO version of the Mac mini with a decent GPU setup. What is available is embarrassing given the pricing of an upgraded Mac mini.