Eufy readies pair of HomeKit Secure Video-capable security cameras

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Eufy is readying a new HomeKit capable security camera -- the eufy Indoor Cam 2 -- that comes in a stationary model as well as a pan-and-tilt variant for launch in mid-May with preorders starting on April 17.

Eufy Indoor Cam 2 models
Eufy Indoor Cam 2 models

The new camera packs a wealth of features in a surprisingly affordable package. It can capture footage at 2K resolution with enhanced night vision and a 125-degree field of view. Footage is saved locally on micro SD cards up to 128GB. Cloud storage is also an option at a small fee following a month-long free trial.

Both models support 8X digital zoom, record at 15 frames per second and use eight integrated infrared LEDs to assist its night vision.

Other features include AI recognition of humans, pets, and crying babies. Two-way audio, pre-recorded pet commands with a pet diary, real-time alerts, and multi-user accounts are also included.

The pan-and-tilt model has a 360-degree range of motion with 100 degrees of vertical motion.

It appears that the cameras will simply support rudimentary HomeKit support at launch. That means video can be viewed in the Home app, motion sensors can be used to trigger events, and you can check in on the camera via Siri. Following launch, eufy will be rolling out support for HomeKit Secure Video which enables much more functionality including storage of encrypted footage securely within iCloud.

Both versions will go up for preorder on April 17. They will run $39.99 for the standing version and $49.99 for the pan-and-tilt version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I’m curious what the monthly fee will be, and how HomeKit support will work. This seems like a very inexpensive security camera? I’ve been looking for a HomeKit enabled, and they are all very expensive!:S
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I’m usually a little skeptical of the promise of future support for HomeKit. Too many times it has taken too long or never come to fruition. 

These cameras seem fairly inexpensive compared to other HomeKit security cameras. Does anyone know the reason for that? Normally I’d think the plan was to make it up in subscription fees but with HomeKit Secure Video enabled one wouldn’t have to use their service. At least, that’s what I’ve been led to believe. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    I’m usually a little skeptical of the promise of future support for HomeKit. Too many times it has taken too long or never come to fruition. 

These cameras seem fairly inexpensive compared to other HomeKit security cameras. Does anyone know the reason for that? Normally I’d think the plan was to make it up in subscription fees but with HomeKit Secure Video enabled one wouldn’t have to use their service. At least, that’s what I’ve been led to believe. 
    Good points!
    Fortunately Eufy is just one of Anker’s brands. So that’s why it is more affordable but good quality. It will also LAUNCH with HomeKit but HomeKit Secure Video will come soon after. So I think that it is better than starting with nothing then waiting. They also just rolled out HSV support for their other wireless cameras. 
    mbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10

Good points!
    Fortunately Eufy is just one of Anker’s brands. So that’s why it is more affordable but good quality. It will also LAUNCH with HomeKit but HomeKit Secure Video will come soon after. So I think that it is better than starting with nothing then waiting. They also just rolled out HSV support for their other wireless cameras. 

Nice! Thanks for the reply. Should we be expecting a review? I’d like one, in case that helps!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I'm steering well clear of Eufy from now since they are liars.
    They released their original Eufy cameras on Kickstarter in late 2018, promising that they would add HomeKit very soon.
    That never happened. Instead they released a Eufy Cam 2 that does support HomeKit and didn't even offer discounts to original backers.

So I have been slowly replacing my Eufy cameras with Ring. Shame because the Eufy are battery powered and wireless, only need charging once a year (ish) and they have a home hub that records all the captured footage so you don't have to pay monthly fees and you can access recordings straight away instead of waiting for the camera to stop recording, upload to a server and process.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    evilution said:
    They released their original Eufy cameras on Kickstarter in late 2018, promising that they would add HomeKit very soon.
    That never happened. Instead they released a Eufy Cam 2 that does support HomeKit and didn't even offer discounts to original backers.

So I have been slowly replacing my Eufy cameras with Ring. Shame because the Eufy are battery powered and wireless, only need charging once a year (ish) and they have a home hub that records all the captured footage so you don't have to pay monthly fees and you can access recordings straight away instead of waiting for the camera to stop recording, upload to a server and process.
    Sounds like you are already mid-process in moving your cameras over, but I'd very much stay away from Ring. They have many problems at the corporate level, are own by Amazon which is notorious for trying to find every which way to monetize your data, and the security issues have been nightmares for users.

I think Arlo is a great choice. They are very comparable to Eufy and in my opinion, much better. Some can be pricey but they do have a range of options and are often on sale. They are wire-free and I like their app a great deal. Plus HomeKit!

Eufy did have issues with those first cameras but since then they have delivered and brought HomeKit and HomeKti Secure Video to its low-cost devices which this market very much needs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    evilution said:

Sounds like you are already mid-process in moving your cameras over, but I'd very much stay away from Ring. They have many problems at the corporate level, are own by Amazon which is notorious for trying to find every which way to monetize your data, and the security issues have been nightmares for users.

I think Arlo is a great choice. They are very comparable to Eufy and in my opinion, much better. Some can be pricey but they do have a range of options and are often on sale. They are wire-free and I like their app a great deal. Plus HomeKit!

Eufy did have issues with those first cameras but since then they have delivered and brought HomeKit and HomeKti Secure Video to its low-cost devices which this market very much needs.
    Is Ring the outfit that had employees watching customers' video feeds?
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Or you can just buy a WYZE Cam for $19.99 or their Pan version which you can remotly control to move around for $29.99. With local storage on a MicroSD Card, basic cloud storage for FREE. They also offer a cheap cloud storage option, which I don't use. They have 2 way communication also. No Homekit support, but I really don't see a reason to really need it? I get notified on my phone if it senses motion and I can touch the link and it brings me to the app. Is that not good enough?

I am a fan of other EUFY products like their Doorbell, and completely wireless cameras because you can do local storage and have no monthly fee's unlike everyone else.

I have PoE cameras around my house, Currently 6 with 2 more planned in the future. They are recording 24/7 to my locked up NVR. I can look at that on my iPhone or ipad at any time s long as I have a Internet connection. I see no need for Homekit support for those either. I am a Homekit house with a number of Homekit devices.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    As I frequently recommend with other products, read Eufy's Privacy Policy and avoid surprises that may live there.
    https://www.eufylife.com/privacy-policy
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jbdragon said:

No Homekit support, but I really don't see a reason to really need it?
    The primary reason for us is that everything shows up in one app. Call it simplicity.  Part of the reason I switched out our Nest thermostats for ecobee is the Nest had no HomeKit support and it was a little bit of a pain to have to switch to another app, wait for it to connect and then get access. We also already have a 2TB iCloud plan so having HSV won’t incur an extra cost.

gatorguy said:
    As I frequently recommend with other products, read Eufy's Privacy Policy and avoid surprises that may live there.
    https://www.eufylife.com/privacy-policy
    Thanks for posting that link. That brings up a question I frequently have regarding HomeKit products. How much of a company’s privacy policy is relevant when HomeKit is involved? For example, the eufy policy mentions data collected from your phone, table or computer. I wonder if that is accurate if I never install the app or use any of their services. I recently installed some ecobee thermostats using HomeKit and didn’t have to use their app at all. I’m probably missing out on some functionality but the thermostats are working fine for me regardless.
    watto_cobra