what was your first car ? (try to find a picture)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We all have distinct memories of our first automobile, perhaps some of use are still driving our's. So, what was your first car and why did you finally get rid of it?

Mine was a 1989 buick century sedan with an overworked 4 cylinder engine. a cylinder blew at a lousy 125,000 miles marking the end of the car. mine was navy blue and had a rusty roof, unlike this one:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My first car, was an Austin Metro. The motor died after 40 000 km. After an exchange, it was fine until i finish to crash it on a lampadaire while i was sleeping in a highway.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    1998 Chevy Cavelier Coupe....Green

I leased it when I went to grad school in Illinois. When our lab moved to Boston I found it impossible to keep on a stipend. Too bad. I miss having a car to get OUT of the city. Getting AROUND on the T is no problem.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    First car was a beige Ford Fiesta 1.1L which I had for three years before getting a Peugot 205 GTi 1.9. This car was amazingly quick - in fact so quick I spun it 360 and rolled it through a hedge into a ploughed field 1.5 months after I got it. My head went through the side window and then ended up being trapped between the roof (car was upside down) and the muddy field.

I guess the step up from 1.1L engine to 1.9L engine was a bit too much.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    this was my first car:

parked against a tree

then this beast:

Happy Camper; and it beats a Peugot 205 GTi 1.9...
  • Reply 5 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sapi

Happy Camper; and it beats a Peugot 205 GTi 1.9... [/B]

Yep, but the motor (turbo) was not very reliable.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    that's true unfortunately, I had to replace the turbo twice, after it blew big time...

But still the Renault 5 GT Turbo is a beast....
  • Reply 7 of 51
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    This is 2 years older than mine was.

Here's a 73, but I had a 75 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-442-1973a.jpg
  • Reply 8 of 51

Only mine was a 4-door sedan and it was orange.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    I learned to drive on a copper Toyota Tercel TR5 4x4 wagon similar to this one:

But I didn't properly get my feet wet until I began driving the replacement for the Tercel, a silver Subaru GL 4x4 wagon (what can I say? My Mum just loved 4x4 station wagons! ) like this one:

Aside from a short stint driving a fabulous Volkswagen Jetta I drove a sky blue Honda Civic hatchback with bright white alloys which drove like a go-cart and was a lot of fun (but was really my partner's car) similar to this:

The first car I could really call my own was a horridly boring but fabulously reliable red Nissan Sunny which I wrote off about a year ago something like the one below although the sedan version rather than hatchback:

Now it's just 2 feet and a heart beat for me and, although I miss the freedom of the car, I must say, I'm liking it
  • Reply 10 of 51
    My next Hot Hatch...

• Reply 11 of 51
    My first was a 1972 Monte Carlo, 350 4bbl(holly 650) slapstick shifter, black with crager SS rims and some Fat Bias-Ply tires. I bought it used in 1979. I would drive it at 110 mph and then floor it and it would STILL down shift on it own and freaking bury the speedo before it would shift into high gear. I am not sure how fast I ever went but I would bet about 130 mph before I would back off.

• Reply 12 of 51
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    My first car was a 1980 VW Polo LS, looking like this:

. It needed leaded gas, so I sold it when it was still worth a bit...
  • Reply 13 of 51
    First car was a new, 1987, green Suzuki Samurai (closest pic I could find):

[edit: reduced to just my first car, a la the thread subject]
  • Reply 14 of 51
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

My first car was a 1984 Opel Rekord 2.0 S. Think it did 0-100 kph in about 12-13 seconds. Not exactly WRC-fast.
  • Reply 15 of 51

i was 16, had a real good job, so i bought my "beloved" triumph spitfire. (i just found the paperwork, it was $6300 1976-money)

i drove it by myself, from iowa to florida to see the rolling stones at the gator bowl.

mine had a hard top that you could screw on, taking it off took about 3 minutes.

i recall the engine cooling exhausted the heat right in your lap, which was quite enjoyable in summer.

i went through nine alternators. it got flat tires on a weekly basis.

good times good times......
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

My first was a 1972 Monte Carlo, 350 4bbl(holly 650) slapstick shifter, black with crager SS rims and some Fat Bias-Ply tires. I bought it used in 1979. I would drive it at 110 mph and then floor it and it would STILL down shift on it own and freaking bury the speedo before it would shift into high gear. I am not sure how fast I ever went but I would bet about 130 mph before I would back off.

Maybe you can help out the poor Europeans who have car problems. I'm sure the cars here would fit in the Monte's trunk, with room left over.

We had cars like this in high school, but they were usually bondo-specials. Those that had matching wheels were the cool ones.

By the way, grandmothers in Golfs do 110 mph here in Germany on Sundays. Grandfathers in Mercedes do about 25 mph.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member

Something like that, only green and tan. And it's a 4x4, with much bigger wheels. Still my first and last vehicle.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    My first car, which I received when my mother decided that me getting a driver's license was an excuse for her to get a new car, was (and still is) a 1986 Volvo 740 station wagon which is still plugging away after 215,000 miles.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

By the way, grandmothers in Golfs do 110 mph here in Germany on Sundays. Grandfathers in Mercedes do about 25 mph.

sure, but my old Monte Carlo was at 110 mph in about 14 seconds....you'd feel your eyeballs being pushed in your head from the acceleration.

MUSCLE, that's what I'm talkin' about...not some sissy ass gramma car on the autobohn, hell my wifes Saturn wagon goes over 100mph.
  • Reply 20 of 51

1996 Ford Probe SE. I have never driven it after paying half for it. My evil twin brother commutes daily to college 45 mins away every day. So i'm stuck with this:

1991 Chevy Lumina. except it's uglier. I told my dad I want to drive it up to the gates of Yale Law School- sort of like the rake's progress to virtue. I drive this whenver I get the chance:

Volvo V70 turbo. Nice little low pressure turbo on a volvo. Whatever that means.