ecobee launches HomeKit security system with camera, door tags, monitoring service

Posted:
in General Discussion
After months of leaks, ecobee has officially released its new HomeKit-equipped security camera, as well as a new set of door and window sensors which can all be paired with a new home monitoring service dubbed Haven.

ecobee's new lineup
ecobee's new lineup

After primarily focusing on its Smart Thermostat, the most recent of which launched last year, ecobee is launching a wave of new products.

There have been bits of information leaked out for months prior to the official launch. With the launch now here, the full picture is revealed.

The camera records at 1080p and features a 180-degree field of view. It features two-way talk, person detection, night vision, Smart Focus that keeps your eyes on the action, and activity zones to cut down on notifications. It also has Amazon Alexa built-in that can be triggered hands-free, similar to an Echo Dot or ecobee's Smart Thermostat.

Ecobee SmartCamera
Ecobee SmartCamera

All video is encrypted and processed locally, supports two-factor authentication, and shuts down when family members are around. Two weeks of video history is stored when subscribing to Haven.

HomeKit support is baked into the camera though HomeKit Secure Video is absent at launch. Ecobee says it is something they are actively working on and will likely come down the line.

ecobee SmartSensors for doors and windows
ecobee SmartSensors for doors and windows

The second new product for ecobee which previously focused solely on connected thermostats is a new set of door and window SmartSensors. The SmartSensors only monitor when doors and windows are opened or closed, and they have a presence sensor to detect when someone is or isn't in the room. This allows these sensors to know when someone is coming into the home versus going. They too support HomeKit.

Both the camera as well as the new sensors get more powerful when combined with ecobee's last new product -- Haven. Haven is a home monitoring subscription that helps you monitor your home and nixes the need for keypads or fobs.

Haven monitors doors and windows to let you know when they are opened when you are away. It will auto arm and disarm as you arrive or leave the home and send smart notifications only when necessary. The service provides 14 days of video history for a connected camera.

Haven will run $5 a month for one camera or $10 a month for unlimited cameras and includes home monitoring. The new SmartSensors for doors and windows run $79 for a two-pack -- the same as the standalone SmartSensors for the thermostat that also detect occupancy. Finally, the new ecobee SmartCamera costs $179 which is a bit on the high side when we see new HomeKit cameras launching for as low as $39.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I don’t want any indoor cameras! Where are all the outdoor HomeKit systems? How long is it going to take to get one company that makes all of it? An indoor camera, an outdoor camera, a doorbell, the window & door sensors, deadbolt, garage door opener etc? It seems like now you have to get the indoor cameras from these guys, the outdoor cameras from those guys, the door sensors from whoever, the deadbolts from them, the garage door opener from  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

This shit isn’t rocket science. if I had a few million I’d just incorporate, hire a couple guys and do it myself.
    stevemebswatto_cobrasailorpaul
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
     cornchip said:
    I don’t want any indoor cameras! Where are all the outdoor HomeKit systems? How long is it going to take to get one company that makes all of it? An indoor camera, an outdoor camera, a doorbell, the window & door sensors, deadbolt, garage door opener etc? It seems like now you have to get the indoor cameras from these guys, the outdoor cameras from those guys, the door sensors from whoever, the deadbolts from them, the garage door opener from  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

This shit isn’t rocket science. if I had a few million I’d just incorporate, hire a couple guys and do it myself.
    The only company doing that as far as I can tell is Nest.
    Example:

What other Nest products can do when Nest Protect detects smoke or CO

Smoke emergency

CO emergency

Google Nest thermostats

Google Nest cameras

• Automatically turn on and start streaming video in the Protect alert
      on your phone or tablet. Tap the video to switch over to your camera’s
      live feed.
    • Record an emergency clip, even if you don’t have a Google Nest Aware
      subscription

Note: Emergency clip recording is OFF by default. To turn it on, go to Protect> Settings> Works with Protect.

Other Nest Protects

• Sound the same emergency
      alarm and let you know where
      the smoke is detected
    • Sound the same emergency
      alarm and let you know where
      the CO is detected

For whatever reason, perhaps Apple or perhaps Nest or perhaps a bit of both, they are not (yet?) HomeKit certified. Ecobee looks to be on the right track in the meantime. tho I'm not a fan of their camera base. 
    One oddity...
    Ecobee apparently shares your usage with the local utility provider. Don't steal electricity. ;)
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    cornchip said:

The whole point of HomeKit compatibility is you don't need someone who does it all. Buy the outdoor camera from someone and the garage door opener from somebody else. You'll likely never find a company that makes garage door openers and cameras and locks. Different core competencies.
    russwpscooter63lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    First off, dump Alexa. I don’t want or need Jeff Bezos spying on me.

I got an Ecobee thermostat several months ago (without Alexa) and it works great. Good connectivity, more flexibility in installation and great support. I wish I would’ve known about the door sensors before I got the Eve sensors. I’m curious as to how they know someone’s in the room - are they using the motion detection from the thermostat or Bluetooth from your iphone?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mike1 said:
    cornchip said:

The whole point of HomeKit compatibility is you don't need someone who does it all. Buy the outdoor camera from someone and the garage door opener from somebody else. You'll likely never find a company that makes garage door openers and cameras and locks. Different core competencies.
    Fortunately Apple, Google, and Amazon are working together to make "smart-devices" cross platform, compatible with all three ecosystems. Completely silly that iOS users don't currently have the same native compatibility with Nest products. With Google and Apple working together now hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later. In the meantime the Ecobee system doesn't look too bad, certainly worth considering.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/apple-amazon-google-partner-to-create-better-smart-home/

edited April 2020
  • Reply 6 of 15
    MplsP said:

I got an Ecobee thermostat several months ago (without Alexa) and it works great. Good connectivity, more flexibility in installation and great support. I wish I would’ve known about the door sensors before I got the Eve sensors. I’m curious as to how they know someone’s in the room - are they using the motion detection from the thermostat or Bluetooth from your iphone?
    My experience with my ecobee thermostats is mixed. I picked up 3 in December, 2 for our primary residence and another for our vacation house.

In our primary house I was having some trouble with the installation of the first thermostat. I contacted ecobee support and they were pretty fast to reply, called me and then had me sending pictures of my installation and pictures of the boards in our furnace. It turned out that the C wire was not connected at the furnace, a pretty easy fix. Their support was great. When I installed the second thermostat it was stuck in a boot loop. Another fairly quick call with ecobee support and they sent me a replacement. So far so good.

I installed the third thermostat at our vacation home and it went off without a hitch, no issues at all and it maybe took 15 minutes to remove the old thermostat and install and setup the new thermostat.

However, at our primary residence I get “no response” messages every day from one or both thermostats. I get “no response” occasionally from some Hue bulbs and from some iDevices things I have (and almost never from Lutron) but with ecobee it’s daily and a little frustrating (typically waiting a minute or two is all it takes to get a response but that isn’t ideal). Meanwhile, the one in our vacation home is ready every single time either of us checks on it, which also is an at least daily occurrence. 

That “no response” is what would make me hesitate. It’s not that big a deal when all I’m trying to do is adjust the temperature but could be a bigger deal if that was happening with a security camera.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    Ecobee door sensors don't include temp nor humidity sensing, and cost $80. The customer is still required to buy the $40 room sensors in addition.

Ecobee camera is priced at $179,  for legacy 1080p , required $5 month charge to access stored videos, no local SD storage, nor ability to connect to a home NVR / onvif system. 

I was wondering why Ecobee stopped innovating on the HVAC industry. Ecobee spent years building their brand in improving air conditioning. So much of Ecobee's success and revenue has been from utility subsidies, and government incentives.   No smart vents, no O2/CO2/VOC sensors, no FarUVC sterilizers, no ERV/HRV's, No economizers. They don't even have a window air conditioner, nor rebranded dehumidifier. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    MplsP said:

My experience with my ecobee thermostats is mixed. I picked up 3 in December, 2 for our primary residence and another for our vacation house.

In our primary house I was having some trouble with the installation of the first thermostat. I contacted ecobee support and they were pretty fast to reply, called me and then had me sending pictures of my installation and pictures of the boards in our furnace. It turned out that the C wire was not connected at the furnace, a pretty easy fix. Their support was great. When I installed the second thermostat it was stuck in a boot loop. Another fairly quick call with ecobee support and they sent me a replacement. So far so good.

I installed the third thermostat at our vacation home and it went off without a hitch, no issues at all and it maybe took 15 minutes to remove the old thermostat and install and setup the new thermostat.

However, at our primary residence I get “no response” messages every day from one or both thermostats. I get “no response” occasionally from some Hue bulbs and from some iDevices things I have (and almost never from Lutron) but with ecobee it’s daily and a little frustrating (typically waiting a minute or two is all it takes to get a response but that isn’t ideal). Meanwhile, the one in our vacation home is ready every single time either of us checks on it, which also is an at least daily occurrence. 

That “no response” is what would make me hesitate. It’s not that big a deal when all I’m trying to do is adjust the temperature but could be a bigger deal if that was happening with a security camera.
    Check the signal strength of your Wi-Fi where your devices are. I had the problem with my Ring doorbell and added another eero router located closer to the door. Cleared my problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    cornchip said:

Check Netatmo. I have their outdoor camera and like it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    cornchip said:

Arlo was supposed to have the whole thing: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2019/Arlo-Security-System.aspx
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    mike1 said:
    This stems from the problem that customers eventually run into. When things don't work as advertised, nobody helps just the blame game and abandonment. Beyond reboot, and wipe and load the whole account, support is dead when crossing multi vendor. 

Trust is non existent in the smart home market. I've owned 250+ devices, with issues on every single device and every platform. When the support forums start saying issues are fixed, people are complaining less. That does not equal customers having less issues with the product. They mean the issue of the customer complaining has been fixed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    MplsP said:

We had connectivity issues with ecobee for months. Turned out the problem was with our Linksys mesh wi fi.  We were prompted by Ecobee technical support to create a guest network and connect the thermostat to that wifi. Now it works perfectly. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cornchip said:
    I don’t want any indoor cameras! Where are all the outdoor HomeKit systems?
    Agreed! Seems strange to roll out yet another indoor camera, especially with 1080p and not 2/4k. I can't see myself ever wanting indoor cameras. I would love to see a good 4k outdoor camera that is battery powered, works in really cold temperatures, and with full HomeKit support from Ecobee. Maybe I'm dreaming?

I sure do love my Ecobee thermostats and room sensors though! Hopefully Ecobee will keep pushing and creating more. I'd love some smart vents to come from them as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It's amazing to me just how badly Apple has bungled the whole home automation thing. They should have been the market leader, with their tight ecosystem integration. There were rumors years ago of Apple jumping into the space, and nothing ever happened. Instead they let freaking Amazon of all companies eat their lunch. It's just embarrassing that Apple users have no real viable options to surveillance-state Google and Amazon, who had the foresight to snatch up Ring and Nest while Apple twiddled its thumbs. Pitiful, Tim. Just pitiful.
    cornchip said:
    I don’t want any indoor cameras! Where are all the outdoor HomeKit systems?
    Eufy (a division of Anker) finally implemented Homekit Secure Video on their Eufy 2 outdoor cameras. I'll be picking some up as soon as a good deal rolls around. It's annoying that most of these devices still rely on a wireless hub. Also annoying is that almost all these outdoor cameras come exclusively in white. We all don't live in houses with white trim, people!
    edited April 2020 watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 15
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    MplsP said:

I also have the Ecobee thermostat (without Alexa), love it, and use the remote temperature sensors as motion sensors in each room. I have HomeKit set up so that when nobody is home I get notifications once someone enters any of my 4 rooms. We had a family member living here that wasn’t an iPhone user so HomeKit didn’t know she was there so I would get notifications when she started moving around the house. It works flawlessly.