'iPhone 12 Pro Max' design detailed in new video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
A new video claims to show an almost-finished Apple design for the forthcoming "iPhone 12 Pro Max," featuring details, such as a smaller notch, that tally with previous reports.

Renders made from a combination of leaked CAD designs and separately sourced information
Renders made from a combination of leaked CAD designs and allegedly separately sourced information

Whether the "iPhone 12" range launches as usual in September or not, Apple is of course at least very close to finalizing its design. Now a video has been released that claims to show most of what Apple's "iPhone 12 Pro Max" will look like.

Exclusive iPhone 12 Pro Max Design Leaks (feat.@MaxWinebach) https://t.co/wTll4Z4bnW pic.twitter.com/juMJtDlnPu

-- EverythingApplePro (@EveryApplePro)

The video, from Twitter users @EverythingApplePro and @MaxWinebach, claims to show a 3D-printed mockup based on leaked drawings. It's said that the original CAD drawings were as sent to unnamed case or peripheral manufacturers.

However, the video also stresses that the mockup plans are only 70% complete. Specifically, the positioning of the rear cameras and the front notch may not be finalised.

In keeping with previous reports, this 3D-printed mockup shows the "iPhone 12 Pro" having an iPad Pro-like chassis with flat edges. It also has the expected 6.7-inch display

That's larger than the current iPhone 11 Pro Max's 6.5-inch screen, and the 3D-printed model suggests that the overall dimensions of the forthcoming phone will be slightly larger to accommodate this. It also claims, though, that the new phone will be thinner at 7.4mm instead of the present 8.1mm. Bezels around the screen are said to be 0.9mm.

While size and positioning of the camera is yet to be finalized, it is claimed that the raised camera protrusion will now be a square that is 5mm larger in both length and width to the present one. Unlike now when the lenses themselves protrude out from the housing, the new phone will have them be slightly recessed and the housing deepened to protect them.

It will include a LiDAR sensor, although Apple is reportedly experimenting with different positions for it.

Apple is also said to have been investigating different sizes, depth and rounding for the Face ID notch. Previous reports have said that it's possible the notch may disappear entirely as the technology becomes small enough to be hidden in the bezel, and reports from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also claim that the notch will at least be reduced.

According to EverythingApplePro, the leaked CAD designs featured a notch with a similar size to the present one, but separate leaks have suggested a different curvature to how it fits into the screen.

Their mockup also shows a wider antenna band at 1.83mm instead of the iPhone 11 Pro Max's 1mm, and this was expected to be necessary because of the 2020 iPhones adopting 5G.

The current iPhone 11 Pro Max (left) next to a 3D-printed mockup of the 2020 version
The current iPhone 11 Pro Max (left) next to a 3D-printed mockup of the 2020 version

These bands are in approximately the same places around the sides of the new phone, but other regular items have reportedly moved. The sleep/wake button is said to be slightly lower, and the SIM tray has been moved to the opposite side. Taking that SIM tray's previous position is what appears to be a Smart Connector, similar to those seen on the iPad Pro models.

The CAD drawings and model also fit with previous mockups in how they show a change to the speakers. According to this new leak, the speaker grills will one fewer holes on the right side of the Lightning connector. The report claims that the speakers will overall be 10% to 15% louder and with improved dynamic range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Seriously. Kill the Notch.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Welp I guess I will be trading in my iPhone 11 Pro Max lol This thing is going to be a beast of a phone. I imagine the camera will just get even better, the A14 will be smoking fast and probably some new tech we haven't seen yet, and all the other rumors we've heard up till now.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I’m sorry, are we expected to believe that the design isn’t finalized for a September release?

chemengin1watto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    digitol said:
    Applause here for originality 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
    redgeminipaStrangeDaysWgkruegerdoozydozenllamamike1gilly33right_said_fred
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:
    I’m sorry, are we expected to believe that the design isn’t finalized for a September release?
    Yeah, that seems highly unlikely.

The flat sides of the iPhone 4/5 series have always been my favorite. I was slightly disappointed in the rounded edges of the 6 and on. I really like the look of the flat edge style and I’m hoping I’ll enjoy it again, even on these now larger phones.
    gilly33watto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 6 of 23
    digitol said:
    When technology advancement allows it, Apple will do it. It won't happen a moment before. Apple isn't Samsung, or any of the companies who make an iPhone X me-too phone.

The notch serves a very crucial purpose at this point. I've had the X, XS Max and now the 11 Pro Max. Seriously, the notch really doesn't matter. At the screen ratio, stretching any video crops it anyway. No videos are natively at that ratio.

The notch doesn't matter.
    edited April 2020 king editor the grateStrangeDaysdoozydozengilly33right_said_fredwatto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:

I don’t think that is what is being said. The guy in the video said the CAD was 70% complete but what he doesn’t say is that it is current. If it is a CAD from earlier in development then it could be 70% complete while the actual design is finalized. Both can be true. 
  • Reply 8 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    digitol said:
    Unless you can come up with sub-screen technology to hide the sensor cluster but allow it to operate, that isn’t happening today. Thankfully, in real world use it’s a non-issue, as it’s not noticeable in normal use. No more than the rear-view mirror is in the windshield.

Some day, but likely not today.  
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

sjworld said:

Speak for yourself. The notch matters to plenty of people.
    IMO that group is compromised of haters and whiners, most of which haven’t even own the device in question. Which are you?
    edited April 2020 llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23

sjworld said:

IMO that group is compromised of haters and whiners, most of which haven’t even own the device in question. Which are you?
    The notch has been present for 3 years of new iPhones now. I know many, many people who own an iPhone with a notch. I have never heard one person speak of the notch being an issue, not even once. The only experience I have of people complaining about it is on the internet.
    doozydozenllamagilly33rossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    When technology advancement allows it, Apple will do it. It won't happen a moment before. Apple isn't Samsung, or any of the companies who make an iPhone X me-too phone.

The notch serves a very crucial purpose at this point. I've had the X, XS Max and now the 11 Pro Max. Seriously, the notch really doesn't matter. At the screen ratio, stretching any video crops it anyway. No videos are natively at that ratio.

The notch doesn't matter.
    Oh, please. try to line up all the people who refused to buy one because of the notch and you wouldn't have a line.

gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If Apple can flatten the camera that would be slick.
    sjworld said:
    So... it’s a bigger version of the iPhone 4/5?

^This is why I wish I wasn't human.

You people are the worst. You expect Apple to release a new form-factor annually but dismiss android manufacturers for releasing the same iPhone design since 2007.

I remember a brain-dead iKnockoff user sarcastically praising Apple's new iPhone saying "wow it's a new rectangle!" While holding her rectangle iPhoney from Huawei.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    That's a nice modern design. I'm also fan of  flat sided designs. No issue for me with notches although they absolutely have to move with the times and get smaller, more useful or move into the top bezel altogether.

I understand that notches are not universally liked and would love for people to get an option with a notchless model and underscreen fingerprint reader. The whole 'TouchID is dead' mantra died a horrible death yesterday. A modern full screen iPhone with a fingerprint scanner (rear, side or front mounted) and a hole punch or pop-up front camera would appeal to many . We know this from Android users. People like different designs. A bit more choice would just be nice.

Great to see bezels shaved down to almost nothing at long last. Another vital point.

If this design turns out to be real, it would be a move in the right direction. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 14 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Rayz2016 said:
    No, that's not what Winebach is saying. He is saying his CAD model, based on leaks, does not have the final notch design, not that Apple isn't done with it.

Personally, I'd rather have thicker bezels, uniform thickness all around, and no-notch like it is with the iPad Pros, with sharp corners in the display, and no camera bump, but good imaging features are a must and so it goes.

Hopefully bumper cases will become much more plentiful with these new models.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Why am I just seeing this!?! Screw the iPhone 8SE (2020)! Give me a lesser camera but add 5G and 128GB and put it in a smaller frame not to exceed 4.7" and I will buy this. All hail the iPhone 12se!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    sjworld said:

sjworld said:

Having a sense of taste doesn’t make me a whiner or hater. I happen to own an XS and after much use, my opinion of the notch being ugly has not changed. You on the other hand are nothing but an Apple sheeple and conformist. Everything Apple does is great, Apple could never do any wrong, and anybody who attacks what Apple says or does is a whiner or a hater. You’re as unsightly as they come.

Not everyone's taste is the same.. A matter of taste is what you find appealing obviously the notch is not to your taste. I have owned the XS Max and now the 11 Pro Max and I can honestly say I don't even notice the notch. I really thought I would coming from an 8 Plus, but it hasn't bothered or hindered me at all.

I am too busy smiling when I look at and use this sexy ass silver beauty in my clear MNML case! To my taste these phones are classy and the screen is beautiful.

I also know many folks ( family and friends )  that have the iPhone X forward and have not complained about the notch either, at least not to me? So I have a feeling that you belong to a small % of people that this actually is a thing for?  Also for the record I HATE the word sheeple.. it's like some gaslight shaming bullshit that people say when something is to their taste, and not someone else's... sound familiar?  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Why am I just seeing this!?! Screw the iPhone 8SE (2020)! Give me a lesser camera but add 5G and 128GB and put it in a smaller frame not to exceed 4.7" and I will buy this. All hail the iPhone 12se!
    Well, Kuo is saying there will be a 5.4" OLED Face ID model likely with sub-6 5G coming this Fall. That's basically the same size as Apple's 4.7" Touch ID models.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tht said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    No, that's not what Winebach is saying. He is saying his CAD model, based on leaks, does not have the final notch design, not that Apple isn't done with it.

Personally, I'd rather have thicker bezels, uniform thickness all around, and no-notch like it is with the iPad Pros, with sharp corners in the display, and no camera bump, but good imaging features are a must and so it goes.

Hopefully bumper cases will become much more plentiful with these new models.

I so prefer this. Though iKnockoff losers claim XR bezels are "GIGANTIC!!" I'd rather have those slim bezels and no notch.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Notch, what notch, never notice it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:

The leak CAD files are dated Jan 2020, not mid April. 
    watto_cobra