The $399 iPhone SE is available to pre-order now

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
Apple's new budget-priced yet feature-packed iPhone SE is now available to order online, with the first shipments arriving at customers' doorsteps about a week after order.

Apple's iPhone SE for 2020, available for pre-order now
Apple's iPhone SE for 2020, available for pre-order now

Following Apple's announcement of the new iPhone SE, the online Apple Store is back up, and taking pre-orders. First shipments of the new phone are expected to arrive on Friday, April 24, which is when it will also be available to purchase from carriers and other resellers -- and perhaps at retail locations as well.

The new iPhone SE is the long-awaited successor to 2016's original budget-priced model. The second generation iPhone SE is a combination of an iPhone 8-style casing, with many iPhone 11 internals, including the A13 Bionic processor.

While it's larger than its predecessor, the new iPhone SE is the smallest iPhone that Apple currently sells. It has a 4.7-inch LCD display compared to the 6.1-inch screens of the iPhone 11 or iPhone XR. It's a single-camera iPhone, but now comes with a dual SIM option and Wi-Fi 6 compatibility.

Connectivity is 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6, with Bluetooth 5.0. LTE antennae are 2x2 MIMO, and the device is dual-SIM. For the camera, Apple has opted for a single wide-angle 12-megapixel sensor and lens combination, rather than moving to a dual or triple-camera setup.

Apple claims similar battery life to the iPhone 8. The company notes local video playback of up to 13 hours, streaming video playback of up to 8 hours, and up to 40 hours of audio playback.

This new iPhone SE represents a particularly sweet spot in terms of its price and performance, but the cost of its lower price is that it does lack certain features. Most visibly different between this iPhone SE and any other current model is that it uses the much older Touch ID technology instead of Face ID, for instance.

Apple's updated iPhone SE is clearly superior to the iPhone 8 that it replaces in the lineup, but the choice between it, the iPhone XR, and the iPhone 11 is a little harder

Prices start at $399 for a 64-gigabyte model and move to $449 for 128GB and $549 for 256GB. The iPhone SE is offered in black, white, and (PRODUCT)RED, with sales of the latter temporarily going toward Global COVID-19 Relief Fund. Pre-order incentives have already started to roll in from wireless carriers and third-party retailers, from free with trade offers to cash discounts, when ordered on installment.

Apple, as well as accessory makers, are marketing new cases for the handset as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    it’s A$829 for 128GB in Australia.
    dewme
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Interesting the front is always black even if choosing a red or white back. The original SE could have a white front. Most often we put our phones in a case covering the back, so back color is less a consideration than the front in a way.
    edited April 2020 spock1234
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Express delivery scheduled for Mon April 27, but at the time you have added VAT, customs etc it comes at the equivalent of $550 for the base model. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I would have liked to have compared this to the Pixel 4a before making a purchase. The camera will be a big selling point for me. I'm assuming the iPhone SE will probably record better video judging by the iPhone 12 and Pixel 4 comparisons.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    I would have liked to have compared this to the Pixel 4a before making a purchase. The camera will be a big selling point for me. I'm assuming the iPhone SE will probably record better video judging by the iPhone 12 and Pixel 4 comparisons.
    The PIxel 4 itself is only $449 right now.

• Reply 6 of 14
    KITA said:
    The PIxel 4 itself is only $449 right now.
    Thanks for the heads up but the battery life on the Pixel 4 was mediocre. But this makes me wonder if Google will launch the Pixel 4a at $300. Which would really bring the fight to Apple, especially after Apple included their top of the line A13 Bionic chip in the iPhone SE. FYI, it's $450 if you register a new line at Best Buy, otherwise it's $500 (which is still a good price).
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    For me, size (and I mean small size) not price is a key factor for a new phone. I'll pass on the iPhone 8SE and hold on to my "Old Ironsides" SE until a foldable, 5G iPhone comes out.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ivanh said:
    Ok, Why? Also, Why don't I care?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ivanh said:
    According to my currency converting app $399.00 USD converts to $627.95 Australian. I don't know if Australia imposes a VAT or import duties.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 10 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    According to my currency converting app $399.00 USD converts to $627.95 Australian. I don't know if Australia imposes a VAT or import duties.
    He/she/it/they mentioned the 128GB model, which is not the $399.00 model. The 128GB model is $449 in the US.

449 USD = 705.58 AUD + 10% AUSSIE VAT = $776 AUD

I'm not even sure why they bothered to mention what it costs in that country, as the australian dollar has nothing to do with the US dollar. 1 dollar down under = 63 cents US. 
    edited April 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    On the Mexican Apple store, the cheapest SE model costs $10,999.00. I'm assuming it's pesos.

But what does that have to do with anything? It's a completely different currency.
    ArloTimetravelerdewme
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:

I'm not even sure why they bothered to mention what it costs in that country, as the australian dollar has nothing to do with the US dollar. 1 dollar down under = 63 cents US. 
    All this dude does is whine about how he doesn’t like Apple stuff and its vile mustache-twirling ways. Something ain’t right in there. 
    ArloTimetravelerlkrupp
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:

All this dude does is whine about how he doesn’t like Apple stuff and its vile mustache-twirling ways. Something ain’t right in there. 
    Yeah, I should have reviewed his posts before responding. A real loser. Thanks for the tip. IGNORED
    edited April 2020 ArloTimetraveler
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    ivanh said:
    Holy cow, if I wasn't absolutely burning up in a sweltering 273 K outside temperature with light snowfall right now, I would call somebody to complain. 

Just kidding ... but thanks for the currency conversion!
    edited April 2020