Leaked images confirm Google is working on an Apple Card rival

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Sorry guys I have a physical 1986 apple card in front of me, but i don't know how to upload the image. :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mpantone said:
    Google had worked on this before Apple did. 

Google had a physical debit card long before Apple Card: it was the Google Wallet card which was discontinued in 2016.

Up through 2015, the Google Wallet card had NFC, something Apple Card does not have. In this case, Apple cribbed from Google.

Of course, none of the underlying technology is new.

The Japanese have been using cellphones as NFC contactless transit passes since 2005. The Suica card can be used as payment at many stores as well.

Many technology companies' offerings are copied from others. Apple did not invent any of this. They did encourage adoption.

Hell, the NFC contactless chip isn't even theirs. It's from NXP, a Dutch semiconductor company that was spun off from Philips. The old Amex Blue cards from the late 90s-early 2000s had a Philips cryptocontroller chip embedded in the card. There was a corresponding USB card reader that you'd plug into your PC that basically acted as a form of two-factor authentication for online purchases.

In the early 2010s, most of my credit cards had NFC contactless chips but adoption in the USA was so poor that the major credit card issuing banks stop issuing these cards and by 2015, most of my cards had gone back to being dumb pieces of plastic.

The United States consumer finance market is anywhere between 10 and 20 years behind the rest of the industrialized world. It is really slowing down the speed of innovations in this area.
    Edison didn’t invent electric light.  The Wright Brothers didn’t invent human flight. They created the world’s first practical implementations and secured their place in history books.
    Beatsgilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This Google card contraption can not be called a rival to the Apple Card, if the Google Card is a debit card.

Who the hell uses debit cards? I can't even remember the last time I actually used one of the debit cards I have. I pay for everything with credit cards.

Comparing a debit card to a credit card is like comparing a children's bicycle to a motorcycle.

If the previous Google card failed and was cancelled, then I suppose that this project will eventually suffer the same fate. Google starts a million different projects and ends up cancelling and abandoning many of them.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:
    Nobody uses Google Pay and nobody will use this card either. Why? Android. And watch them partner with a Chinese bank too.

Bet your ass this is another data mining machine.
    rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    mpantone said:

Google had a physical debit card long before Apple Card: it was the Google Wallet card which was discontinued in 2016.

Up through 2015, the Google Wallet card had NFC, something Apple Card does not have. In this case, Apple cribbed from Google.
    Not the same as Apple Card. That was a debit card that used your Google Wallet balance via POSTs. Not a credit card.

These people will stretch anything to prove Google/Sammy/Huawei/Xiaomi(MiMoji) is the innovator and Apple invented nothing.
    How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

You named five companies. They all invent things. There are millions more inventors out there. Apple doesn't invent everything, of course. 

Being the conglomerate it is, Samsung probably invents more than many of them. No need to stretch anything. Huawei too. And many more. 

Apple pays millions to Huawei for use of its inventions. Huawei pays millions to Samsung for theirs. Both pay Google for theirs. That's how the real world works. 

Are you suggesting they aren't innovators? Are you surprised Apple pays Huawei? 

No one has to prove anything. And no one says Apple invented nothing. I think you are being unreasonable here. 

Are you new to the internet or?...... We read this crap from the iPhoney crowd every day.

gatorguy said:
    mpantone said:

Not the same as Apple Card. That was a debit card that used your Google Wallet balance via POSTs. Not a credit card.
    The rumor here is that it's another debit card, an updated version of the discontinued Google Wallet Card, and not a credit card. Not the same as Apple Card. 

The problem with this statement is the fact it's a reactionary move and will copy Apple. Let's stop bullsh**ting and call it what it is.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Lets just say it, from the get go Google has just ripped everyone else, from the content right up.

oh, occasionally they trot out an idea of their own like mid air swiping and it always fails and they quietly scuttle it.

even heard of waymo recently, crickets.

they are worshipped like a god by their freetards addicts with the big ol g dick in their mouths.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    apple ][ said:
    This Google card contraption can not be called a rival to the Apple Card, if the Google Card is a debit card.

Who the hell uses debit cards? I can't even remember the last time I actually used one of the debit cards I have. I pay for everything with credit cards.

Comparing a debit card to a credit card is like comparing a children's bicycle to a motorcycle.

If the previous Google card failed and was cancelled, then I suppose that this project will eventually suffer the same fate. Google starts a million different projects and ends up cancelling and abandoning many of them.

It must be a cultural thing but the vast majority of people in Spain use debit cards. More popular than cash payments and increasingly used for micro payments too. 

I have deactivated all the credit functionality on my card. Haven't used credit in more than 30 years. 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    avon b7 said:
    It must be a cultural thing but the vast majority of people in Spain use debit cards. More popular than cash payments and increasingly used for micro payments too. 

I have deactivated all the credit functionality on my card. Haven't used credit in more than 30 years. 
    I don't know how things are in other countries, but buying something with a credit card here offers much more protections and advantages than buying something with a debit card, which is basically just using whatever money you have in a bank account.

Buying something with a credit card will grant the buyer more protection, in case there is a problem with the seller for example. Some cards offer increased warranties. And many cards offer bonus points, so the person paying for an item with a credit card is actually paying less for the item than the person who is paying for the same item with a debit card.

And it doesn't cost anything more to use a credit card, it's actually cheaper to use, since the buyer gets cashback on most cards. As long as a person pays their bills on time, then the credit card is the smarter move and it will save the buyer the most money, compared to those who just use a debit card.

And using credit cards and paying your bills on time helps to build up a person's credit score, which will come in handy when the person needs to buy something really expensive or take out a loan, such as for a car or house etc.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    apple ][ said:
    avon b7 said:

I don't know how things are in other countries, but buying something with a credit card here offers much more protections and advantages than buying something with a debit card, which is basically just using whatever money you have in a bank account.

Buying something with a credit card will grant the buyer more protection, in case there is a problem with the seller for example. Some cards offer increased warranties. And many cards offer bonus points, so the person paying for an item with a credit card is actually paying less for the item than the person who is paying for the same item with a debit card.

And it doesn't cost anything more to use a credit card, it's actually cheaper to use, since the buyer gets cashback on most cards. As long as a person pays their bills on time, then the credit card is the smarter move and it will save the buyer the most money, compared to those who just use a debit card.

And using credit cards and paying your bills on time helps to build up a person's credit score, which will come in handy when the person needs to buy something really expensive or take out a loan, such as for a car or house etc.
    Credit cards here are not cheap and obviously before you can get one you have to be credit rated by the bank. Most credit cards here are bank rolled onto people by banks via other services (take out a mortgage for example, and they will chop something off the interest rate if you contract more of the banks services, among them, credit cards).

Most credit cards are 'free' the first year but subsequent costs balloon. Just before lockdown I was with a client who was charged 275€ by her bank. The renewal fee on a VISA infinity.

Both credit and debit cards offer cashback options but often you do not have free choice on where to purchase the goods. The fine print often limits which establishments are included. 

I save far more (over a thousand euros a year) by buying supermarket goods at their lowest prices (I track them) and in enough quantity through free choice purchasing. An example: 32 cans of deodorant at 1.99€ when the regular price is well over 3€. For compact, easy to store, long life, products I buy when the price hits my target range, not when I actually need the goods. I have footwear for the next three years. For fragrances, I use Armani Code and as that is a non essential little luxury item I could pass on quite easily but I just bought four 200ml bottles at 60€ a piece. There are other items like light bulbs for things like my cooker hood or oven which I source abroad (Slovenia) for the oven bulbs. Package is so light that, transport included, it works out cheaper.

Consumer protection is good in the EU and makes credit card protection not necessary but even here warranty protections aren't included in most credit cards. For online purchases I use a card that I put funds on prior to purchase.

• Reply 30 of 32
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Give Google access to my transaction data? Jeez, no thank you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Total crap. 

Can anyone explain why it is that Google so routinely absolutely sucks at design??

i mean seriously. 

This... whatever it is, the entirety of “material” so called design, Their entire brand is riddled with crap. 

It gets annoying after so long. 

You know when Microsoft is starting to design better than you - something is very wrong. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    ericesque said:
    mpantone said:

Of course, none of the underlying technology is new.

The Japanese have been using cellphones as NFC contactless transit passes since 2005. The Suica card can be used as payment at many stores as well.

Many technology companies' offerings are copied from others. Apple did not invent any of this. They did encourage adoption.

Hell, the NFC contactless chip isn't even theirs. It's from NXP, a Dutch semiconductor company that was spun off from Philips. The old Amex Blue cards from the late 90s-early 2000s had a Philips cryptocontroller chip embedded in the card. There was a corresponding USB card reader that you'd plug into your PC that basically acted as a form of two-factor authentication for online purchases.

In the early 2010s, most of my credit cards had NFC contactless chips but adoption in the USA was so poor that the major credit card issuing banks stop issuing these cards and by 2015, most of my cards had gone back to being dumb pieces of plastic.

The United States consumer finance market is anywhere between 10 and 20 years behind the rest of the industrialized world. It is really slowing down the speed of innovations in this area.
    Edison didn’t invent electric light.  The Wright Brothers didn’t invent human flight. They created the world’s first practical implementations and secured their place in history books.
    Well said. It’s not about who experimented first. It’s about who got it right.