'iPhone 12' leak details smaller TrueDepth notch

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2020
A pair of images shared by avid Apple leaker Jon Prosser on Sunday detail what appears to be schematic drawings of a next-generation "iPhone 12" handset, the top portion of which illustrates a TrueDepth sensor "notch" that is substantially smaller than existing designs.

iPhone 12
Supposed "iPhone 12" illustration depicting smaller TrueDepth notch.

Posted to Twitter by Jon Prosser, one image looks to be a photograph of a CAD drawing similar to those seen in past Apple hardware leaks from partner manufacturers. A second illustration, thought to be produced using information provided by the original schematic, offers a cleaner view of the handset's design with a focus on the so-called "notch."

Both images depict a TrueDepth package that is significantly more compact than arrays included in flagship iPhones since iPhone X in 2017.

The module layout in the allegedly leaked schematics represent major updates to Apple's original design. Notably, the earpiece speaker has been moved above TrueDepth to sit in the smartphone's thin bezel, thereby freeing up space in the notch and surrounding area. Current iPhone models with Face ID cradle the speaker between important -- and physically large -- components, with the system's dot projector and front-facing full-color camera to the right, and infrared flood illuminator and infrared camera to the left.

The purportedly new arrangement shows iPhone's speaker positioned directly above stacked ambient light and proximity sensors, which themselves have been moved inward to take a more central location in the array. TrueDepth's transmitting and receiving element packages, once referred to as "Romeo" and "Juilet," are also moved toward center.

TrueDepth might also see a slight reduction in height, but such tweaks are difficult to confirm without detailed measurements.

While not a large change, "iPhone 12's" smaller notch will offer a few additional millimeters of screen real estate for end users.

A potential reduction in iPhone notch size was first reported by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who last July predicted Apple to adopt the design in switching to smaller front-facing cameras. Rumors of a complete removal of the once-controversial notch followed in September when reports indicated Apple was working on prototypes that squeezed TrueDepth's parts into iPhone's upper bezel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone X and after with notch; front does not look symmetric which apple tried to do on all iPhones from iPhone 4 to iPhone 8. So for 2020 SE, Apple could have increased the top side of screen by reducing top thick bezel like many android phones have done it. Bottom could not be reduced due to Touch ID. That change would have given more screen in same frame and new identity from 8/SE.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 2 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone X and after with notch; front does not look symmetric which apple tried to do on all iPhones from iPhone 4 to iPhone 8. So for 2020 SE, Apple could have increased the top side of screen by reducing top thick bezel like many android phones have done it. Bottom could not be reduced due to Touch ID. That change would have given more screen in same frame and new identity from 8/SE.

I would have XR sized bezels which are already tiny and place TrueDepth there.
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 43
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    The shell design resembles iPhone 4 boxy design, that loved by many people around the world. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 43
    sergioz said:
    The shell design resembles iPhone 4 boxy design, that loved by many people around the world. 
    Like iPad Pro 2020
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 43
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Squeezing that front camera / sensor array into a smaller space also means there’s now room next to it for the rear camera and LiDAR cluster. 

Notice how on the iPhone 11 the third lens was pushed down to the middle of the camera bump to make way for the front facing dot projector. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Kill The Notch! Trillion dollar Apple, can, should and may do better...it's just a matter of when.. Until then the clock is delayed because YOU settled and bought a compromised design. iPhone Notch. :disappointed: :D Heh heh. 
  • Reply 7 of 43
    mike54 said:
    I would preferred a top/bottom bezel of equal width, with a TouchID button than a notch. Could of made the bezels slight smaller than the iPhones 6,7,8. Unfortunately all tech blogs and those who read them were all shouting for all screen display.
    Total denial of other firms who developed everything under the screen (owning their own screen tech)
    chemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    This image is far more in line with current phones that use 3D depth sensing. A major improvement. As are the bezels.

I'm sure that those who held off on the iPhone 11 series already feel justified in their decisions. This will also have 5G. If they keep pricing in check, this could be a winner. 

Plus, they could have four models released this year which would be a first if an iPhone 12 (non-Pro) is kept in the lineup. 
    racoleman29
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

I would have XR sized bezels which are already tiny and place TrueDepth there.
    Current designs look dated precisely because of the huge notch. The XR's bezels are not tiny. Not in anybody's book. They dominate the phone. In design and industry terms they are positively massive. To qualify as tiny, they would have to be almost unnoticeable (like the bezels shown in the image here. 
    Beats
  • Reply 10 of 43
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    No front camera for 🤳 selfie?

• Reply 11 of 43
    I'm not that bothered by the notch, it really doesn't impact life. If I'm totally honest, I prefer the hole punch of the Samsungs although I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the brilliant Face ID for it.
    dewmerazorpitradarthekatchemengin1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No front camera for 🤳 selfie?

There is a front camera in the image. 
  • Reply 13 of 43
    kbeekbee Posts: 25member
    FaceID is still a 100% fail in times of Corona. I know that there are tricks to make the iPhone recognise a second profile with mask - but it destroys the security.

Display integrated TouchID would be the way to go. I would even go with a cheeper TouchID only budget phone from Apple (TouchID sensor integrated in the display of course) - like an iPhone SE3 with no notch, no FaceID but an integrated TouchID. 
  • Reply 14 of 43
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    kbee said:
    FaceID is still a 100% fail in times of Corona. I know that there are tricks to make the iPhone recognise a second profile with mask - but it destroys the security.

Display integrated TouchID would be the way to go. I would even go with a cheeper TouchID only budget phone from Apple (TouchID sensor integrated in the display of course) - like an iPhone SE3 with no notch, no FaceID but an integrated TouchID. 
    Wouldn’t TouchID be a 100% fail wearing gloves? Bring on VoiceID!
    retrogustoRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    kbee said:

I had the experience of seeing my friend's recent image captures from his Sony A7III displayed on his iPad, and while I might have had the option of holding that same iPad, I declined; why take a chance.

Sure, there are still people that will attempt to steal your iPhone in public, but given that most people are under stay at home orders, I'm not seeing that this will be a problem even after those orders are lifted. There have been rumors that an under screen Touch ID system will be included in future devices at some point, but I doubt that we will see that this fall.

In the meantime, security of my iPhone 7 Plus is still only a four digit passcode, and given the circumstances, I don't consider my iPhone's security a concern.

edited April 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 43
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I would prefer no notch - I wonder why Apple doesn't just add a narrow top bevel and leave the screen unobstructed? Oddly, the notch has become a distinguishing feature, since most others manufacturers don't have one or did away with them. Irregardless, I'm buying an iPhone12 - software and speed is still superior.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No one cares negative talk about iPhone notch. In fact, like Touch ID, the Face ID design worked out well with 100s of millions sold and selling. About iPhone 12, good change to bring back iPhone 4 design. Still love it.
    tmayradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Fatman said:
    I would prefer no notch - I wonder why Apple doesn't just add a narrow top bevel and leave the screen unobstructed? 
     Usability

As a security measure, the FaceID rig can be set to trigger only if it can see your eyes. Apple realised that most people would naturally look at the screen, not at a camera array in a bezel, hence the notch. It would be annoying for users to have to flick their eyes up to look at the camera and then back down to the screen, which is what they want to look at in the first place.

My guess is the notch is not going anywhere until Apple can put the array behind the screen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    wood1208 said:
    I retained my 8+ when I purchased my 11 Pro Max.  Now I’m stuck inside here in the Philippines where things are locked down in parts of my city nearly as tight as Wuhan was.  So I’m all day charging one while using the other or watching YouTube on one while messaging on the other.  And I gotta say, the notch is not a thing.  Even when I have hours of time daily with the notchless 8+ to compare to and remind me constantly what iPhone screens used to look like. Nope, not a thing at all.  
    edited April 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    This is the first render I've seen that makes me dislike the smaller notch. I don't like how the speaker notch "breaks" the bezel and is pressed right up against the outer chassis band.