New AirPods Pro model may launch in late 2020, early 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple may be planning on releasing a new generation of its AirPods Pro wireless headphones later than previously expected, in the second half of 2020 or sometime in 2021.

An upcoming version of AirPods Pro may be delayed until later in 2020 or 2021.
An upcoming version of AirPods Pro may be delayed until later in 2020 or 2021.

Rumors about a new entry-level version of AirPods Pro have been circulating in February via supply chain reports by DigiTimes. Since then, serial leaker Jon Prosser has suggested that the device could be a fitness-focused accessory dubbed "AirPods X."

A paywalled preview of an upcoming DigiTimes story, citing sources in Apple's supply chain, suggests that the launch of a new AirPods Pro generation could be deferred until the second half of the 2020, or "even 2021."

Previously, Prosser suggested that the "AirPods X" could debut in September or October. Based on that timeline, DigiTimes' vague "second half of 2020" prediction doesn't necessarily suggest a profound delay. It could hint at a launch later than originally planned, such as in late 2020 or early 2021.

Adding confusion to current rumors is a more recent forecast by Prosser. On Sunday, Prosser said that new AirPods that were originally slated for a March event debut are now "ready to go" for a launch in May. It's possible that this is simply a new version of standard AirPods, instead of anything related to AirPods Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Whatever is being introduced, I hope the AirPods 2 stay the same shape. They and the the Gen 1 fit my ears perfectly where the Pros do not. Besides the Etymotic style buds, the Pros are the first silicone tips that hurt my ears. Different size tips didn't help.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    A new version of a great product is always nice, but I’m wondering what the improvements will be. Another story say these may even not have active noise cancelling. 

• Reply 3 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I very much doubt a new version of the Pros will be out less than a year after the current ones. Seems like very little time to research, develop and debug new features. I suspect these are either (standard) Airpods 3, or the Airpods pro-lite. Which IMO will be like the Pros, with a silicone tip but without ANC and maybe without the force sensor for inputs. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macgui said:
    Whatever is being introduced, I hope the AirPods 2 stay the same shape. They and the the Gen 1 fit my ears perfectly where the Pros do not. Besides the Etymotic style buds, the Pros are the first silicone tips that hurt my ears. Different size tips didn't help.
    The pros hurt my ears too :( I have persevered and apparently my ears have morphed to the shape of the pros somewhat, but they don't stay in well no matter what size tip I use. Got to push them in every 20 minutes or so. The normal iPhone ones hurt my ears after a while, and I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone who finds them comfortable. Never had a fitment or comfort issue with any other headphones from any other brand, be them in-ear or normal ones - excepting the old wired Apple in-ear ones circa 2008(!) Those never fall out and are really comfortable.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    elijahg said:
    macgui said:
    The pros hurt my ears too :( I have persevered and apparently my ears have morphed to the shape of the pros somewhat, but they don't stay in well no matter what size tip I use. Got to push them in every 20 minutes or so. The normal iPhone ones hurt my ears after a while, and I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone who finds them comfortable. Never had a fitment or comfort issue with any other headphones from any other brand, be them in-ear or normal ones - excepting the old wired Apple in-ear ones circa 2008(!) Those never fall out and are really comfortable.

Any 3rd party ear pieces that can help?

I wanna see Apple develop memory foam type earbuds.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Beats said:
    elijahg said:
    macgui said:

Any 3rd party ear pieces that can help?

I wanna see Apple develop memory foam type earbuds.
    Not really sure, I've had a look and there are some with a hook which would probably do it, but then they wouldn't fit in the case anymore. I may well try the memory foam ones at some point, though they're £10 for one pair which seems rather steep!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    elijahg said:
    I was happy to find the wired Apple in-ear online and ordered. It was actually cheaper to buy the in the US and have them shipped to Europe than to buy locally.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    New pros with better sound quality, hopefully. 
    aegean
  • Reply 9 of 9
    widmarkwidmark Posts: 37member
    I hope before they release a new version of APP they fix the growing crackling sound issue. Something seems to have happened in firmware updates to render many users with this issue that can only be fixed right now with an RMA replacement, and sometimes, rinse-repeat replacements.