Sony details pricing, availability of AirPlay 2, HomeKit 8K, 4K smart TVs

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sony has revealed the pricing and availability for its 2020 line of smart televisions, a product range unveiled during CES and confirmed to have support for both Apple's AirPlay 2 and HomeKit across the board.

Sony Z8H 8K HDR LED smart TV with HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support
Sony Z8H 8K HDR LED smart TV with HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support

The collection of Sony televisions is divided into five different ranges, varying in features and pricing, but all including smart functionality. The smart features include support for AirPlay 2, allowing the televisions to work with speakers and devices using Apple's audio streaming platform, as well as smart home functionality powered by Apple's HomeKit.

Sony Z8H 8K

At the high end of the collection are the Z8H 8K HDR LED televisions. As the name suggests, the screens all offer 8K-resolution images, including upscaling of 4K and Full HD video to 8K using Sony's 8K X-Reality PRO system, with further enhancement by Sony's Object-based Super Resolution to reproduce real-world textures that may be lost in the upscaling process.

Powered by the Picture Processor X1 Ultimate, the Z8H uses a Triluminos display with a full array LED system featuring local dimming for deeper black shades and brighter lights. Sound comprises of acoustic multi-audio with a vibrating frame tweeter that embeds the speaker into the frame.
  • 85" Class (84.6" diagonal): $9,999.99 MSRP (Available to order in Summer 2020)
  • 75" Class (74.5" diagonal): $6,999.99 MSRP (Available to order in Summer 2020)

OLED A8H Bravia

The A8H Bravia is an OLED television range with a 4K resolution. Using the same Picture Processor X1 Ultimate, the television uses a Pixel Contrast Booster to create a clear image, while X-Motion Clarity technology keeps video smooth during fast motion.

The Acoustic Surface Audio produces 2.1 channel sound from the screen itself. Meanwhile its slimline design uses a metal blade stand that can be adjusted to raise the screen off a surface, or it can be mounted to a wall using Sony's slim wall-mount bracket.
  • 65" Class (64.5" diagonal): $3,099.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 55" Class (54.6" diagonal): $2,299.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)

4K HDR X950H range

The X950H range are 4K HDR LED televisions, again using the Picture Processor X1 Ultimate. Featuring a Full Array LED system for high contrast levels on the Triluminos display, the screen also includes X-Motion Clarity, support for Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanded, and Netflix Calibrated Mode.
  • 85" Class (84.6" diagonal): $4,499.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 75" Class (74.5" diagonal): $3,499.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 65" Class (64.5" diagonal): $1,999.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 55" Class (54.6" diagonal): $1,399.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 49" Class (48.5" diagonal): $999.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)

X900H series

The X900H 4K HDR LED TVs all feature the Full Array LED, Triluminos, and X-Tended Dynamic Range technologies, as well as Acoustic Multi-Audio using discretely mounted tweeters. Using a narrow aluminum bezel, the screen is slimline and is equipped with a similarly minimalistic stand.
  • 85" Class (84.6" diagonal): $3,499.99 MSRP (Available to order in Summer 2020)
  • 75" Class (74.5" diagonal): $2,499.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 65" Class (64.5" diagonal): $1,599.99 MSRP (Available to pre-order now)
  • 55" Class (54.6" diagonal): $1,199.99 MSRP (Available to order in Summer 2020)

Value-oriented X800H

Lastly, the X800H collection is at the value-end of the group, consisting of 4K HDR LED televisions. The 4K HDR Processor X1 is in use for this model, which also includes Triluminos display technology as well as Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support.
  • 85" Class (84.6" diagonal): $2,799.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 75" Class (74.5" diagonal): $1,499.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 65" Class (64.5" diagonal): $999.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 55" Class (54.6" diagonal): $799.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 49" Class (48.5" diagonal): $649.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)
  • 43" Class (42.5" diagonal): $599.99 MSRP (Available to buy now)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I'd still like to see Sony provide a stripped version of their TV sets without all the extra Android garbage. All I need is a monitor and maybe a tuner, that's it. My TV doesn't need to be connected directly to my network. 
    lkruppdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    rob53 said:
    I'd still like to see Sony provide a stripped version of their TV sets without all the extra Android garbage. All I need is a monitor and maybe a tuner, that's it. My TV doesn't need to be connected directly to my network. 
    But if wasn’t connected to your network, how would they sell the info on what you’re watching?

edited April 2020 doozydozendysamoriajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    What is it with Sony and HDMI 2.1?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:
    Last I knew you have the option to connect or not connect to your home network. So what was your question again? As for a stripped down HDTV with only a screen and a tuner, that animal doesn’t exist. It went extinct years ago.
    edited April 2020 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Same as iPhone and 5G. It’s not worth it yet.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    How about an AirPlay 2 upgrade for existing sets Sony???
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 17

AppleInsider said:

The smart features include support for AirPlay 2, allowing the televisions to work with speakers and devices using Apple's audio streaming platform

Does this mean that the tv will send audio directly to homepods via AirPlay2?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hentaiboy said:
    This has happened. A couple of months ago if not earlier my A9F was updated to include HomeKit and AirPlay2. 

Of the F range only the X1 Ultimates were upgraded as I recall. More models in the G range have since been upgraded. What is your model?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Not interested in “smart” TVs. I want a basic, multi-I/O display. Not even a tuner.
    edited April 2020 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    hentaiboy said:
    What is your model?
    900E

https://www.change.org/p/sony-bring-airplay-2-and-homekit-to-current-sony-premium-oled-and-lcd-tvs?
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:
    Last I knew you have the option to connect or not connect to your home network. So what was your question again? As for a stripped down HDTV with only a screen and a tuner, that animal doesn’t exist. It went extinct years ago.
    I think the point is that not everyone wants a smart tv. I know that I don’t want one. I fully understand that regular non smart tv’s don’t exist anymore but I wish they did. I don’t want all that crap on my screen and every time I turn on my tv, my TiVo interface is covered up for several seconds by the tv garbage that I don’t want to look at.
    stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:
    rob53 said:
    But if wasn’t connected to your network, how would they sell the info on what you’re watching?
    Sony do that?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dysamoria said:
    Not interested in “smart” TVs. I want a basic, multi-I/O display. Not even a tuner.
    That’s called a “monitor.” If it has a tuner, it’s a TV. Everyone has become sloppy about the difference.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17

I recently got an LG 4K TV and a Sony 4K player. Both have "smart" functionality & apps. The TV came with a complementary soundbar, with an in-built Google Assistant.

None of them are connected to the Internet. My Apple TV does all the smart stuff.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    tedz98tedz98 Posts: 80member
    Use an Apple TV and all you need is a monitor that has no internet connection.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    Same as iPhone and 5G. It’s not worth it yet.
    Sony PS5 is supposed to have HDMI 2.1, it's a 2020 product, AND it's supposedly capable of 4K at 120 fps (which would require HDMI 2.1), so it's kind of odd that you could buy a $4,000 TV from Sony's 2020 lineup and not get HDMI 2.1 included.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    dysamoria said:
    I would go further.
    1 HDMI input
    No ON/OFF switch
    No remote
    No speakers

You plug in the power and plug the HDMI cable in and never think about it again.
    watto_cobra