HBO Max to launch on May 27 with 10,000 hours of content

Posted:
in General Discussion
Set to replace HBO Now at some point soon, the new HBO Max curates over ten thousand hours of content for all ages, drawing from an extensive, 100-year old library owned by WarnerMedia.

Launch day premieres will include all-new Looney Tunes Cartoons, Anna Kendrick in the HBO Max Original "Love Life," Documentary "On the Record," and famous YouTuber LAurDIY's new series Craftopia. Even Sesame Street's own Elmo will be getting a show -- "The Not Too Late Show with Elmo."

After the initial launch, HBO Max Originals will be released on a regular cadence. Upcoming shows will include "The Flight Attendant," based on the best seller by Chris Bohjalian; the "Friends" unscripted cast reunion, and a three-part documentary series on Amy Schumer titled "Expecting Amy."

Additionally, HBO Max will utilize WarnerMedia's century-old library of fan favorites, including content from CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. A selection of classic films will be available through a partnership with Turner Classic Movies.

"Our number one goal is having extraordinary content for everyone in the family, and the HBO Max programming mix we are so excited to unveil on May 27th will bear that out," said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman of Warner Media Entertainment and Direct-To-Consumer. "Even in the midst of this unprecedented pandemic, the all-star teams behind every aspect of HBO Max will deliver a platform and a robust slate of content that is varied, of the highest quality, and second to none."

Other existing content will include the libraries of "Friends," "The Big Bang Theory," "Rick and Morty," "Sesame Street," "The O.C.," and "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown." Content to be added later will include "South Park," "Gossip Girl," "The West Wing," and more.

The service will cost $14.99 a month at launch and it is unclear when HBO Now will be phased out. The service will be available as a standalone service, and also through the YouTube TV service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    10K hours? I was wondering what to do until there's a vaccine 1-1/2 years from now.
    Carnage
  • Reply 2 of 22
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    I wonder if they will be finally streaming old HBO titles like "Dream On," or even Sex and the City?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Why does HBO make their streaming services so confusing? HBO Go, HBO Now and now this? I think I missed another HBO.
    cpsrosdw2001razorpitpscooter63StrangeDaysHank2.0
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Just when I thought streaming was dead, there's FINALLY a documentary about Amy Schumer.
    sdw2001razorpitCarnage
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cpsro said:
    10K hours? I was wondering what to do until there's a vaccine 1-1/2 years from now.
    What? Haven't you heard? The country is opening! Aren't you going to get out there licking doorknobs and high-fiving random strangers with the rest of us?
    tokyojimubaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cpsro said:
    What? Haven't you heard? The country is opening! Aren't you going to get out there licking doorknobs and high-fiving random strangers with the rest of us?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Appleish said:
    cpsro said:
    I'm putting Mardi Gras and NYC's Chinese New Year celebration on my next year's to do list. See you there!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Beats said:
    Why does HBO make their streaming services so confusing? HBO Go, HBO Now and now this? I think I missed another HBO.
    :D It's like they are following Microsoft's advice on product branding. 
    lolliverHank2.0
  • Reply 9 of 22
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Beats said:
    Yeah, Go vs. Now was already confusing enough. I think MAX is replacing Now, which is their current $15/month service (basically a way of seeing HBO content without a cable subscription) and Now subscribers will automatically become Max subscribers at the same price. AT&T wanted a service that could monetize more of their catalog, which now includes a lot of stuff besides HBO, to compete more squarely with Netflix (or at least alongside Netflix, which is probably a more accurate way to look at it). They’re using the HBO brand because it’s so strong, but maybe it would have made more sense to use the Warner brand or something entirely new, for the reason you mention. It’s still better than calling it “AT&T Plus” or something. I don’t have a ton of faith in the AT&T execs and their ability to jump into the entertainment business, but they now own such an amazing catalog that gives them a big head start. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 22
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Apple should just buy ALL content from every studio in the history of Hollywood and sell it to us for $80/ month.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    What about Zack Snyder's Justice League? (fat chance!!)
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 12 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I'm a FioS subscriber with a traditional HBO subscription.  I typically use HBO Go for viewing.  My subscription os $15.00 a month.  From what I can see, there is no answer as to whether Max will be included.  They are in negotiations, apparently.  I can imagine Comcast and Verizon are not pleased. If Max is not included with an HBO subscription, people will just bail on that subscription and do Max instead.  This will result in a massive lost of fees for those companies.  I don't know what their profit margin on premium subscriptions is, but I suspect it's significant.  

It seems to me that HBO/Warner should just make it free for traditional subscribers outside of ATT, though that may involve squeezing cable companies for more $.  They are going to get millions of paid streaming customers anyway, and they will still be charging other cable companies for carrying the channel.  I don't think that will stop the price from going up for the consumer.  I can see Verizon and Comcast saying "HBO is getting even better with Max," then raising the price.  
  • Reply 13 of 22
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    An Apple related question that I don’t see answered on this Apple related website: Does my Apple TV HBO channel subscription continue on in some form? Does it roll over to the new HBO Max? 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Wgkrueger said:
    An Apple related question that I don’t see answered on this Apple related website: Does my Apple TV HBO channel subscription continue on in some form? Does it roll over to the new HBO Max? 
    If you have ATT cable, yes.  If not, no one knows.  They are negotiating now.  
  • Reply 15 of 22
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    sdw2001 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    If you have ATT cable, yes.  If not, no one knows.  They are negotiating now.  
    Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Appleish said:
    I wonder if they will be finally streaming old HBO titles like "Dream On," or even Sex and the City?
    You can already watch HBO back catalog shows on HBO’s app and channel in ATV. This will include all of that. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 17 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Wgkrueger said:
    Yup good question. We ditched HBO Now in order to use the ATV channel subscription. It shares across family plan member’s devices, no login. 

I’d guess they launch HBO Max as a stand-alone app only to start. Maybe channel later if we’re lucky.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Nothing confusing between HBO Now and HBO Go. If you have HBO as part of a cable package, you get HBO Go to use on mobile devices included. It’s the same programming as HBO but “On Demand”. 
    HBO NOW is simply the stand alone version for those of us without a cable package. 
    So HBO, HBO Go, and HBO Now, all have the same programming. 

I’m sure there is some reason NOW was separated from Go. Maybe for analytics or some licensing issues. Who knows. 

And now HBO Max will be “everything else” HBO has the rights to and wants to profit from, but isn’t part of the regular HBO programming. Along with the all new series from the article. 

What remains to be seen, is what happens to NOW, hopefully it gets picked up under MAX for the same pricing, ultimately this could be a win for consumers and a result of open competition from all the available platforms all fighting for eyeballs and dollar bills.  
    edited April 2020 baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Beats said:
    Yep, you did. HBO channels, HBO on Demand, HBO GO, HBO NOW and the upcoming HBO MAX.

The answer to everybody's questions is at https://www.hbomax.com/faq. And the answer is...........

"Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date."
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 22
    tyler82 said:
    Apple should just buy ALL content from every studio in the history of Hollywood and sell it to us for $80/ month.
    No wait, this is Apple. So Apple should just buy ALL content from every studio in the history of Hollywood and sell it to us for $299.99/ month