Everything known about the 'iPhone 12'

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2020
Despite the global conditions, Apple continues to push ahead as it readies its new "iPhone 12," "iPhone 12 Pro," and "iPhone 12 Pro Max." Here is what rumors say so far about Apple's upcoming flagship smartphone.

Concept based on CAD images from EverythingApplePro
Concept based on CAD images from EverythingApplePro

"iPhone 12" rumors have been swirling for some time, and have picked up pace in recent months. All of this despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the launch of the new iPhone SE

"iPhone 12" at a glance

Based on all the rumors and leaks we've seen over the past year, here are the key points we think we know about the "iPhone 12," "iPhone 12 Pro," and "iPhone 12 Pro Max."
  • Will be redesign to look more like a smaller iPad Pro
  • Shifting to 5nm for A14 Bionic processor
  • Possibly smaller notch for TrueDepth camera system
  • LiDAR added to rear camera
  • Will support 5G
  • Launch window is uncertain
  • May include Wi-Fi 802.11ay

What processor and Wi-Fi version does the "iPhone 12" have?

Internally, we expect quite a few changes to this year's "iPhone 12" lineup. Almost everything -- including the internal layout -- looks to be reworked.

The supply chain claims that Apple is shifting to a larger, rectangular battery rather than the "L" shaped model in the "iPhone 12". This may result in external changes as well -- such as the relocation of the SIM card.

Crucially, the "iPhone 12" will utilize Apple's A14 Bionic processor. Apple is shifting to a new, 5nm design for the new chip which will likely bring significant improvements for power and graphics.

Another new feature that may be shown off is 802.11ay Wi-Fi. This new version of wireless connectivity has a focus on peer-to-peer connections which can reduce the burden on your network and offer increased speeds.

Wi-Fi 6, also known as 802.11ax, is just starting to pick up steam with consumers. As 802.11ay is set to finish certification this year, the backward-compatible technology may debut with Apple's iPhone in "iPhone 12," much the same as Wi-Fi 6 did.

Will the "iPhone 12 have 5G?

The latest wireless networking technology, 5G, has two discrete versions. The faster download speeds are attributed to the mmWave aspect, while other engineering improvements are also in the slower sub-6GHz implementations. Many 5G phones from other vendors only support the sub-6GHz spectrum -- but it appears Apple may be significantly investing in the development of that mmWave support.

The new "iPhone 12" is widely expected to support 5G cellular on sub-6Ghz frequencies, with the high-end models also incorporating mmWave. The majority of analysts have pointed to the lower-end "iPhone 12" just supporting sub-6GHz. But, Ming-Chi Kuo says that despite other analysts rumblings, the "iPhone 12" will include support for true mmWave.

What other features will the "iPhone 12" have?

LiDAR scanner is coming to the iPhone 12 Pro
LiDAR scanner is coming to the "iPhone 12 Pro"

The "iPhone 12" also will likely bring the iPad Pro's LiDAR scanner to the iPhone. Developers got to start testing the LiDAR scanner with iPad Pro but should have some very useful applications by the time the "iPhone 12" launches with it.

Rumors say that at least the "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max" will incorporate LiDAR, but there is nothing suggesting the non-pro "iPhone 12" model will support the feature.

EverythingApplePro has sources that claim that the "iPhone 12" will include speakers that are 10% to 15% louder, with an increased dynamic range.

What will the "iPhone 12" look like?

The "iPhone 12" line appears to borrow its design from the iPad Pro. Design elements carried forward include flat sides, an updated camera bump, and smaller bezels. The bezels on the front of the phone will be reduced, alongside being slightly thinner and with flat sides.

Much of the new phone's exterior was leaked and detailed in a recent video based on supposed CAD files.

An oft-requested change for Apple to make is reducing -- or eliminating -- the notch. Rumors say Apple is experimenting between a shorter notch and one that is narrower. Multiple sources, including a recent report by Jon Prosser corroborate the smaller notch, versus what's been presented in the iPhone X through iPhone 11.

Specifically looking at the "iPhone 12 Pro Max," it will now have a 6.7-inch display versus a 6.5-inch as on the iPhone 11 Pro Max. The phone will be slightly thinner but taller.

The edges of the phones will have increased antenna bands, likely to accommodate that new 5G network support. Apple seems to be >largely working on its own antenna technology this time around.

A new connector was shown off in leaked CAD files, likely just for the "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max." EverythingApplePro says that it is a Smart Connector, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Smart Connector, which can currently be found on several iPad models, is made up of three small circular contacts. The connector shown off in the CAD files is a long oval shape.

It appears to be similar to the "magnetic connector" found on iPad Pro which is used to charge the Apple Pencil. The Apple Pencil currently wouldn't fit on the side of an iPhone but perhaps Apple is using it to power some other accessory.

Apple appears to be sticking with Lightning on the "iPhone 12" line. Although long-rumored, Apple moving to USB-C on the iPhone appears to not be in the cards.

Midnight blue may replace midnight green (render from EverythingApplePro)
Midnight blue may replace midnight green (render from EverythingApplePro)

The "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max" are being tested with a couple of shades of midnight blue. These dark blue color options are likely to replace the midnight green that launched with the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The non-pro "iPhone 12" seems likely to maintain the rounded sides and will get two of three different colors in testing. Right now Apple is testing violet, light orange, and light blue.

When will the "iPhone 12" be announced and ship?

This year, more than any other year is Apple's fall iPhone launch is in question. If history holds true, there will be an iPhone release event in September.

This year though, Apple has a global pandemic to deal with putting it into uncharted territory. Many suppliers are waiting on Apple to decide whether or not to delay the "iPhone 12" launch.

We've seen countless rumors saying production may fall behind, then more saying suppliers are denying the delay, followed by more saying "iPhone 12" will be delayed by months, before Foxconn says it is staffed up and sees no delay for "iPhone 12". We likely won't know what Apple's production plans are for months.

One true sign of Apple's plans may lie within WWDC. Apple's annual developer's conference is where Apple shows off its new operating systems and development platforms. These software updates go thorugh a rigorous months-long public beta process before launching, typically alongside a new iPhone. New iPhones contain new hardware and software features that would likely be discovered in beta releases, well before a new iPhone shows them off.

The fact Apple is still scheduling its annual worldwide developer conference for June is a good sign it is anticipating launching its new phones in the fall at some point, even it if may be a hair later than desired, like the iPhone X was.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Actually looking forward to the next iteration. I may upgrade from my XS depending on the feature set. 
    Wgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    aross99aross99 Posts: 94member
    No mention of the iPhone 12 Pro size.  I am disappointed that the iPhone 12 Pro will be physically larger than the iPhone 11 Pro - sounds like closer to the size of the iPhone 11...
    SnickersMagoo
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The non-pro "iPhone 12" seems likely to maintain the rounded sides...
    What info makes this likely?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Small point...I like the the design language Apple is adopting with the iPad Pro and new iPhone 12 Pro. The "tapering" of the Apple MacBook Air, iPad Air and iMac look dated and have unnecessary design limitations like tapered batteries, etc.

I like the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and especially the SE.

I remember Stevo admiringly describing the iPhone 4. Saying, "there is nothing comparable, maybe Leica cameras!" I agree. (My Dad had a Leica in the early 1960's. He also had very expensive Zeiss binoculars-great taste!)

Oh well. still rocking my aging original rose gold SE. May update to a newer iPhone soon! 

Best regards.

king editor the grateHank2.0baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    If they keep with recent pricing models, it will cost $4199 and the charger will be an extra $399. Will require a special proprietary pointy object to open sim tray that costs $99. Special proprietary cloth to clean the screen will be $199. Earbuds sold separately. 
    lkrupppscooter63avon b7
  • Reply 6 of 18
    What if Apple decided to use last year's A13 Bionic processor in the iPhone 12 like they did in the iPad Pro and Apple Watch?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rain22 said:
    If they keep with recent pricing models, it will cost $4199 and the charger will be an extra $399. Will require a special proprietary pointy object to open sim tray that costs $99. Special proprietary cloth to clean the screen will be $199. Earbuds sold separately. 
    And they will sell like never before. You haters just don’t get it. Took a look at your posting history and man, what a mess. And you actually think posting your venom will change people’s minds? 
    pscooter63napoleon_phoneapartWgkruegerbageljoeyking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    MurvelMurvel Posts: 24member
    What about the 5.4” model rumors? I’m a fan of the smaller sizes, and something closer to the outer dimensions of the iPhone 6/7/8 would be perfect. I’m due a new phone, but until I see the 5.4” rumor ”sufficiently debunked”, I’m holding off on getting the new SE.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Small point...I like the the design language Apple is adopting with the iPad Pro and new iPhone 12 Pro. The "tapering" of the Apple MacBook Air, iPad Air and iMac look dated and have unnecessary design limitations like tapered batteries, etc.

I like the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and especially the SE.

Same for me but my favorite is the 4S and Steve style silver surfer SE 128GB. I do also like the style of the 12 range just not the dimensions.

I remember Stevo admiringly describing the iPhone 4. Saying, "there is nothing comparable, maybe Leica cameras!" I agree. (My Dad had a Leica in the early 1960's. He also had very expensive Zeiss binoculars-great taste!)

Oh well. still rocking my aging original rose gold SE. May update to a newer iPhone soon! 

Best regards.

• Reply 10 of 18
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    What if Apple decided to use last year's A13 Bionic processor in the iPhone 12 like they did in the iPad Pro and Apple Watch?
    They wont. iPhones nearly always get a new processor while iPads dont. There is also a not-insignificant amount of rumors surrounding the A14. It will happen for sure. Plus this is a big flagship upgrade with a new design. No way they keep speeds the same, even though they are crushing all the competition in performance.
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    No rumors on a larger camera sensor? Thought I read that at one point. I'm curious about the LiDAR module. Is the one on the iPad Pro just available to Apple for AR or can developers use it to make 3D environmental scanning apps? It'd be a lot cheaper to use your iPhone/iPad to scan and save your environment into an OBJ than buying dedicated LiDAR devices. Yeah, I'm talking traditional 3D environment scanner for all the fields that use them: engineering, VFX, architecture, etc. And if you spin an object on a lazy susan, you can use the LiDAR as a traditional 3D object scanner too. Again, if Apple makes those APIs available for developers. Otherwise, all that cost and resources to cram a LiDAR into our iOS devices just for AR seems like overkill.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I wonder if that smart connector could be for an Augmented Reality accessory.  It would make sense that a first generation accessory may magnetically attach to an iPhone and re-use the iPhone display.  Since the connector is only on the larger iPhone, this may be the only iPhone with a large enough display for AR.  Flat sides would also be easier to attach a magnetic accessory.

I think a keyboard accessory sounds strange unless it is a portfolio with a second touch screen display that attaches magnetically.   Physical buttons just don't work well that small.  Unless the keyboard is large enough to touch-type, it doesn't make sense to me.  If this were to exist, it would be cool if it could also serve as a battery to the phone.  Taking the concept further, an iPod touch could be used as half of a portfolio keyboard through a smart connector with a portfolio case that has two magnetic attachments.  Then if your kids want to use your phone, you could give them the iPod half :).  
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Great chance for an iPhone 12SE with a compact size ( >5" screen ). Apple should go back to Jobs' simplicity playbook -- offer a small (SE or se), medium, large (Pro).
    baconstanghcrefugee
  • Reply 14 of 18
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    samrod said:
    No rumors on a larger camera sensor? Thought I read that at one point. I'm curious about the LiDAR module. Is the one on the iPad Pro just available to Apple for AR or can developers use it to make 3D environmental scanning apps? It'd be a lot cheaper to use your iPhone/iPad to scan and save your environment into an OBJ than buying dedicated LiDAR devices. Yeah, I'm talking traditional 3D environment scanner for all the fields that use them: engineering, VFX, architecture, etc. And if you spin an object on a lazy susan, you can use the LiDAR as a traditional 3D object scanner too. Again, if Apple makes those APIs available for developers. Otherwise, all that cost and resources to cram a LiDAR into our iOS devices just for AR seems like overkill.
    Yes, developers have access to the geometry data.  There is already at least one app that can do that.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 15 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Well that would upset the many rumors that says TSMC is in production right now with 5nm processors.    In any event I'm really pissed at Apple considering the last iPad update.   It just seems like they have no desire anymore to be on the bleeding edge except possibly on the iphone.   Frankly I consider the processor the most important piece of technology in each iPhone update as it enables everything about the platform.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Yeah, I know that we all have to focus on the road ahead, but this year’s repeat of the same old seasonal episode of leaker fueled, speculation tinged, and technological fantasy laced flight of fancy that precedes every iterative release of iPhone seems somewhat hollow and pantomime-like. Despite denials to the contrary, we are not in a business-as-usual environment.

Real people are really hurting and no matter what Apple does in the coming months the uptake of new products is going to be a sideshow. Apple and other vendors need to react to the reality of the current situation and make sure that they are focused on filling the voids that have been created rather than impressing us with their technological prowess.

This is a cycle where Apple needs to be making sure its foundation is strong and its current products totally deliver under stressful conditions. Regular people aren’t worried about 5G rollouts when they can’t put food on the table and make their mortgage payments. I know that we all get geeked out about cool new technologies and slick new features, but the current situation demands that we all take a step back and ask ourselves whether we really understand the reality of the situation that we now face and if we are doing everything we can possibly do to make things better.

I don’t really care if Apple releases anything new this year unless doing so stabilizes their core. No, they shouldn’t crawl into a cave and simply hunker down until the storm passes. But at the same time, if they ignore the current reality and carry on as if it’s business-as-usual when it clearly is not, they will be skewered and vilified for their insensitivity and cluelessness.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kbeekbee Posts: 25member
    Now that everyone has to wear a mask I went back to an old iPhone 8 - removing my mask everytime I want to use Apple Pay or answer a call is just annoying. As long as there is a Corona treat every iPhone that relies on FaceID only is just worthless. TouchID just works brilliant - maybe it doesn‘t shoot awesome photos of people wearing masks. For the iPhone12 reintroduction of TouchID would be the only reason to buy.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    lkrupp said:
    rain22 said:
    And they will sell like never before. You haters just don’t get it. Took a look at your posting history and man, what a mess. And you actually think posting your venom will change people’s minds? 
    Whatever kiddo. Let us know when you’re done your koolaid and have your own thoughts...